Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this is my first thread on here so sorry if I'm getting this wrong...

I'm not really enjoying school at the moment, not the hard work but just in general. I know everyone says S6 is great but I don't know if I can handle school anymore.

I'm in S5 and need to start making choices for S6, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to stay on.

Just a bit of background... I got two As at Int 2 as well as five 1s and a 2 at standard grade. This year I'm doing Highers in English, maths, chemistry, physics and geography and predicted to get AAABB (Bs in English and maths, though it's looking more likely I'll get an A in maths now). I want to do chemistry at uni (thinking about applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Heriot Watt, St Andrews and Strathclyde next year) and hope to get into analytical or medicinal chemistry later.

The best option so far is to stay on at school for S6. I'm thinking about taking AH chemistry, AH geography and Higher human biology (crashing this), as well as Higher photography, just for a bit of a break and because it's something that interests me.

My other option is to leave and go to college for a year before starting uni in 2012. I had a look at a HNC Applied Biomedical Sciences course. The thing is, the entry requirements are one higher at C and three standard grades at 3 or above, so I feel like I'm a bit overqualified. I haven't studied biology before but I'm not sure if it would really matter, as I could always do Higher human while I'm at college.

So does anyone have any thoughts or advice about me staying on / going to college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jrshikari)
    My other option is to leave and go to college for a year before starting uni in 2012. I had a look at a HNC Applied Biomedical Sciences course. The thing is, the entry requirements are one higher at C and three standard grades at 3 or above, so I feel like I'm a bit overqualified. I haven't studied biology before but I'm not sure if it would really matter, as I could always do Higher human while I'm at college.

So does anyone have any thoughts or advice about me staying on / going to college?
    I looked at HNCs before I decided that I wanted to go to university after S5. If you wanted to do that you still could. UCAS still accepts applications at this stage, but if you wanted to do that you'd need to check that the universities that you're interested in would actually consider your application (as it would be classed as late).

Or you could leave after S5 and take a gap year?

ReputationRep:
    I would like to do that, but being one of the youngest in my year I'll only be 17 when I start uni in 2012, so I feel like starting this year would be far too soon.

I've thought about taking a gap year too but again my age puts me off, at 16 I'd probably just end up getting a job around here for a bit .

Thanks anyway

ReputationRep:

Just so you know, im doing that course right now and you won't be over qualified cos many different folks do it and it's qutie challenging. HNCs are more thorough but less annoying than NQs. They set the entry quals low so that folk with crap highers, or folk who want a change in course/job can get in (and they by no means reflect how easy or difficult it is)

I left school quite early and I'd say only do it if you're absolutley sure. It's a big step up fom school, noone there to hold your hand and stuff, but it is really good prep for uni; you get an advantage over the schoolies in that sense.

Also, you probably would struggle without knowing even the basics of biology but I suppose that's a learning curve heh

In short: think about it carefully.

And NO gap yah.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to do that, but being one of the youngest in my year I'll only be 17 when I start uni in 2012, so I feel like starting this year would be far too soon.

I've thought about taking a gap year too but again my age puts me off, at 16 I'd probably just end up getting a job around here for a bit .

Thanks anyway
    Frankly, why spend another year doing an HNC when you'll already have the entry requirements by the end of S5? Wouldn't it be best to start university now rather than go for an HNC? It might turn out to be a wasted year, idk.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this is my first thread on here so sorry if I'm getting this wrong...

I'm not really enjoying school at the moment, not the hard work but just in general. I know everyone says S6 is great but I don't know if I can handle school anymore.

I'm in S5 and need to start making choices for S6, but I'm not sure whether or not I want to stay on.

Just a bit of background... I got two As at Int 2 as well as five 1s and a 2 at standard grade. This year I'm doing Highers in English, maths, chemistry, physics and geography and predicted to get AAABB (Bs in English and maths, though it's looking more likely I'll get an A in maths now). I want to do chemistry at uni (thinking about applying to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Heriot Watt, St Andrews and Strathclyde next year) and hope to get into analytical or medicinal chemistry later.

The best option so far is to stay on at school for S6. I'm thinking about taking AH chemistry, AH geography and Higher human biology (crashing this), as well as Higher photography, just for a bit of a break and because it's something that interests me.

I left with 4 A's at higher and I felt the same. Trust me a HNC is a difficult qualification, it won't be a walk in the park!

Pro's of college
    • Independant learning - you can come and go as you please.
    • Generally there are no disruptive people, they're told to piss off or chucked out the course pretty quickly
    • Less days in the class - you could maybe get a job or work experience if you wanted to
    • The lecturers teach you with repesct - I couldn't go back to school now, from my experience the teachers do not give you much respect.
    • HNC's are generally more practical - you get hands on skills.
    • Hot chicks

Con's
    • You won't see your friends so often - however I soon realised I get to see the people I like and I don't need to see the people I don't like.
    • The work is very independent - you're not pestered for work, if you don't do it you fail the unit.
    • HNC's are slightly less respected by the top universities, however since you will have your highers it shouldn't be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    HANG ON.

you dont need to do a hnc at all :| you can get in with your predicted grades anyway

you can get straight into uni after 5th year (though this might not be possible as you would be a late applicant).

s6 is SUCH a waste of time, you repeat the year you just had in your uni course.

im doing medicinal chem at glasgow if you want to know anything. EDIT: i didnt even do advanced higher chemistry and im getting As in first year

i suggest you stay onto 6th year, JUST IN CASE. and when you have your grades, and likely, your unconditionals, leave and get a job to save up a bit for uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delaney)
    I left with 4 A's at higher and I felt the same. Trust me a HNC is a difficult qualification, it won't be a walk in the park!

Pro's of college
    • Independant learning - you can come and go as you please.
    • Generally there are no disruptive people, they're told to piss off or chucked out the course pretty quickly
    • Less days in the class - you could maybe get a job or work experience if you wanted to
    • The lecturers teach you with repesct - I couldn't go back to school now, from my experience the teachers do not give you much respect.
    • HNC's are generally more practical - you get hands on skills.
    • Hot chicks

Con's
    • You won't see your friends so often - however I soon realised I get to see the people I like and I don't need to see the people I don't like.
    • The work is very independent - you're not pestered for work, if you don't do it you fail the unit.
    • HNC's are slightly less respected by the top universities, however since you will have your highers it shouldn't be an issue.
    This is spot on, nice to know someone else here doing a HNC lol

ReputationRep:
    If you stay on at school for 6th year, then if you get good grades in your advanced highers you can go straight into 2nd year. One of my friends is doing this, St Andrews have given her an unconditional into 1st year (for Physics) and have told her that if she does well enough in her AH's she can go straight into 2nd year.
    I know you're young for your year, but since skipping 1st year is quite a popular option for some science courses, you wouldn't be the odd one out!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone.

I know I don't need to do a HNC but I thought it'd be something different.

Thanks for the advice on the difficulty of HNC courses, I really didn't know enough about it to make a decision.

I think I'd be best staying on at school to get advanced highers, plus the higher in Biology.

Also, I don't really want to go straight into 2nd year (I'm young enough as it is, haha) but thanks anyway

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.