Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR

Firstly before anyone loses it, I don't think I agree with the following statement but I would like to get the opinion of others upon it.

Someone once said to me quote: "The left-wing is for people with morals and who try to bring ethics such as equality into society and the right-wing is for the people who are down to earth and respond to sense."

How far do you agree with this?

ReputationRep:
    Probably one of the better attempts at summing up the difference in only a single sentence, though I'd replace "bring" with "force".

ReputationRep:
    No, although I am sure that many of those on TSR who think their simple opinions on immigration and crime embody the vast spectrum of right-wing thought will no doubt say otherwise as they jizz themselves at the prospect of being the enlightened voices and masters of cynicism.

Imo you cannot generalise on such a scale, but nonetheless i await the stream of negs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    Hi TSR

Firstly before anyone loses it, I don't think I agree with the following statement but I would like to get the opinion of others upon it.

Someone once said to me quote: "The left-wing is for people with morals and who try to bring ethics such as equality into society and the right-wing is for the people who are down to earth and respond to sense."

Well we could try flipping the argument on it's head to say "The right-wing is for people with morals and who try to bring ethics such as heterosexuality into society and the left-wing is for the people who are down to earth and respond to sense". It's purely opinionated and could be manipulated to suit either side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    Probably one of the better attempts at summing up the difference in only a single sentence, though I'd replace "bring" with "force".
    why would you do that? out of curiosity not skepticism lol

(Original post by adam_zed)
    No, although I am sure that many of those on TSR who think their simple opinions on immigration and crime embody the vast spectrum of right-wing thought will no doubt say otherwise as they jizz themselves at the prospect of being the enlightened voices and masters of cynicism.

Imo you cannot generalise on such a scale, but nonetheless i await the stream of negs.
    and it's not a popular enough thread haha

ReputationRep:
    and it's not a popular enough thread haha
    Change the title to something like "Im White, will Hispanic girls go for me?"

They seem to be very popular for some strange reason!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Change the title to something like "Im White, will Hispanic girls go for me?"

They seem to be very popular for some strange reason!
    LOL

You mean draw them in with the touchy controversial title and then switch the subject?

I like haha

ReputationRep:
    I'd say left-wing was based more on ethics
    And I'd say right-wing was based more on morals

I think this influenced the two explanations:

http://www.colinfitz.com/wp-content/...ht_EU_1416.gif

ReputationRep:
    All political argument is based on some sort of normative framework. Your (OP and others) insinuation that one has more 'sense' or ethical worth than the other is rather misguided.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid beyond words.

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR

No, since ethics/morality is relative. It also is based on outdated stereotypes. Somebody right-wing can still believe in a large welfare state, or social justice. One Nation Tories are not left-wing. The terms left-wing and right-wing have no place in modern political thought, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    generalisations are dumb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master Roshi)
    generalisations are dumb
    That is such a generalisation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salazar)
    Well we could try flipping the argument on it's head to say "The right-wing is for people with morals and who try to bring ethics such as heterosexuality into society and the left-wing is for the people who are down to earth and respond to sense". It's purely opinionated and could be manipulated to suit either side.
    You seem to be describing the Republican Party of America.

I really think British C/conservatism is rather different, and has far less basis in religion. No more than any other party in my opinion.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.