Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was in uni today, I was playing snooker with a friend of mine. I end up winning, and as a joke, "I said better luck next time cracker".

he flipped out and accused me of being racist.

What do you white people on here think about this matter :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You'd be ready to bust a fool's balls if they called you 'negro' etc (or 'Paki' or whatever slur relates to your ethnicity)
    I don't see how cracker is any different.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's just a bit of a racial slur, why is that hard to understand?

ReputationRep:
    I dont get how cracker relates to being white?

ReputationRep:
    Really? He needs a slap, i couldn't care less if someone called me a cracker

ReputationRep:
    some people are ridiculously over-sensitive and dont get it... its ethnic banter!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know cracker was a racial slur :lolwut:

If it is I can understand why he did its the same as calling someone a 'paki' etc this combined with the fact that he lost = rage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dzeh)
    I dont get how cracker relates to being white?
    As far as I know it's related to the whips slave-drivers used on ships on on fields etc. Still, if this were the case I don't understand why black people would use it as an insult... surely it implies that the white person has dominance over them?

EDIT: don't understand the negs... if you have a better explanation then go ahead and post it. Mine makes perfect sense, and, besides, it's just what I read somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    i couldn't care less if somebody called me a cracker, i really don't find it offensive

ReputationRep:
    It's a racist slur. That said, lots of white people in England have never heard of honky, cracker etc before... and they still say racism affects everyone equally.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the relevance tbh.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    I guess he's just mad because he literally got smashed when playing snooker.
    So he was either drunk when you beat him, or you beat him by chucking a snooker ball at his forehead.

You wonder why he was 'mad'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    So he was either drunk when you beat him, or you beat him by chucking a snooker ball at his forehead.

You wonder why he was 'mad'.
    Yes, then I stuck the pool cue up his mothers hole.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I would laugh if someone called me a cracker, and I'm white. It's a really odd thing to say.

ReputationRep:
    And yet if the thread was entitled "what's wrong with calling a black guy n*****," the OP would be called a racist *******.

Ahh, double standards.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, then I stuck the pool cue up his mothers hole.

:facepalm2:
    How did this make you feel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    How did this make you feel?
    Not bad, she didn't seem best pleased though.

ReputationRep:
    Not bad, she didn't seem best pleased though.
    Wrong hole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    And yet if the thread was entitled "what's wrong with calling a black guy n*****," the OP would be called a racist *******.

Ahh, double standards.
    It's not double standards, they're completely different terms. ****** was an epithet used by white people to disparage black people, whereas 'cracker'... has a murky etymology, actually, but it's largely thought to have been used by white people to refer to other white people -- specifically poor white people.

Go ahead and disagree with whether history is relevant to contemporary language or not, but it'd be disingenuous and lazy to say it's all to do with "double standards" or "PC gone mad".

ReputationRep:
    Its cause you 'crack' a whip and yeah it'd only piss me off if the one saying it was the type to call you up on being racist.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.