The Student Room Group

Whats wrong with calling someone white a cracker?

Scroll to see replies

If a black man calls me cracker, that's fine by me. If I then, in the same sort of scenario, i.e beating him at snooker say, "Better luck next time ******," and he gets offended, I think it's quite hypocritical.

I'd never call a black man a ****** though, but nor would I take too kindly to being called a cracker in a derogatory sense.
Reply 21
cracker? haha I call the chavs 'round my area 'crackheads' :rofl:
It's used as a derogatory term. Even if you don't use it in such a way it still started off as a derogatory word.

I think your mate's right to (maybe not FLIP out) say something...
Well it's a racial slur, as has been pointed out.
Some people are ok with a bit of banter (of any colour.) Some friends call each other the N word, or whatever relates to the particular race, as well as other insults as a joke.
But, not everyone is ok or comfortable with it, and it's not fair to to think they're wrong in taking it offensively. It IS an insult, and even if it's meant as a joke it can be taken badly.

I have a close friend who always jokes with me... about race, gender, anything... But there are other friends of mine that I wouldn't dream of calling the N word because it IS racist.
Same applies I'm afraid.
Call me cracker, honky, whatever. Couldn't give a ****.
Reply 25
Original post by dzeh
I dont get how cracker relates to being white?

Who's the woman in your sig?
Reply 26
crazy cracker.
Reply 27
well sounds like ur friend is a giant f***** pussy. if all races have racial slurs against them, why shouldnt white ppl do? he just feels left out and is being pulled by the strings media controls. i bet he doesnt even know why cracker is racist
Reply 28
Now I feel like some crackers.
Original post by Bjoorn
well sounds like ur friend is a giant f***** pussy. if all races have racial slurs against them, why shouldnt white ppl do? he just feels left out and is being pulled by the strings media controls. i bet he doesnt even know why cracker is racist

Just because the racial slur exists doesn't mean it's ok to use it.
If I called someone the N word, or a paki... Most of them would take that badly.

Some friends are ok with banter, and I do it myself with my closer friends... But if they were to be offended I'd apologise because it IS a racist term at the end of the day.
Don't you think?
Reply 30
I didnt know cracker was a racist term :dontknow:

When i read the thread title i just thought of the type you have with cheese :u:
How sad.
My friends makes racist jokes about me all the time.
It's all in jest.
I wouldn't worry yourself.
Reply 32
I get called a cracker all the time. Didn't know it was a racial slur :/
Reply 33
Flipping out at someone calling you a cracker is the same as flipping out at someone calling you a poopyhead. The word has no strong connotations or power.
I didn't know it was a racist term until last Christmas when my cousin's American husband stayed in England with the family for Christmas and asked why everyone was wearing paper hats. When he was told "They come from the crackers" he nearly fell off his chair. Pft.

I wouldn't take offence if someone referred to me as a cracker. I suppose because having never experienced serious racism I have nothing to get offended at.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
Wrong hole.

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

:frown:

Personally I find it an insult to be called anything that is refered to as a racial slur...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

:frown:

Thats often an issue lately :flutter:
:curious:
Original post by ChaoticSkills
I was in uni today, I was playing snooker with a friend of mine. I end up winning, and as a joke, "I said better luck next time cracker".

he flipped out and accused me of being racist.

What do you white people on here think about this matter :confused:

I wouldn't be offended, ma N. I. G. G. E. R! :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending