Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats wrong with calling someone white a cracker? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In fairness your mate does sound like a cracker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    It's just a joke thing, I know its a racial slur. I laugh with the honkies at uni, none of them have a problem with it, I guess he's just mad because he literally got smashed when playing snooker.
    How would you feel if he then turned round and beat you and said "Got you that time paki"?
    Something so many people seem to forget is that it's still racist if it's against white people. Theres a thin line with racial banter, and you obviously failed at it...sh*tLAD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuvel)
    How would you feel if he then turned round and beat you and said "Got you that time paki"?
    Something so many people seem to forget is that it's still racist if it's against white people. Theres a thin line with racial banter, and you obviously failed at it...sh*tLAD.
    Shame I'm not of pakistani or Asian origin. Don't make stupid assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)

Where it comes from. I know it's wiki but it's legit to the best of my knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Haters gon' hate

on the issue - Cracker is derogatory and all but I struggle to see how it's even that insulting or can make someone angry... it's just a lame racial insult - like calling a black person chocolate (hahaha so funny isn't it NOT)

ReputationRep:
    I personally woud'nt mind, considering the fact that you obviously meant it as a joke; but it is kind of like using the N word and people get a little tetchy about that for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    Shame I'm not of pakistani or Asian origin. Don't make stupid assumptions.
    Well the way you worded the post you made it sound like you aren't white, so whatever racial slur applies to you, still doesn't make my point that you ignored any less valid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shuvel)
    Well the way you worded the post you made it sound like you aren't white, so whatever racial slur applies to you, still doesn't make my point that you ignored any less valid.
    It doesn't matter what race I am, its something between friends. They take the piss out of me racially, I do it to them comprende? you say "thin line of racial banter" which I didn't pass, I've known this guy for 3 years at university. He reacted angrily in a way, I've never seen before, that's why I was surprised.

If I called him something like "a white piece of ****" that'd be a whole different kettle of fish.

What I said, had no intent of causing offence, I was of the understanding that our clique of friends would do these jokes to each other every now and again.

ReputationRep:
    Im mixed race and if someone called me a n*g*a id be offended so I dont see why it should be any different for white people. Racism works both ways.

ReputationRep:
    Does say thing to people that they deem insulting. Pretty Simple

ReputationRep:
    In the context that you said it I wouldn't take offence. Tbh the word doesn't carry any negative connotations for me yet if it was used as an insult I would be insulted, but only as insulted as I would be if any other word was used as an insult to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Just because the racial slur exists doesn't mean it's ok to use it.
    If I called someone the N word, or a paki... Most of them would take that badly.

Some friends are ok with banter, and I do it myself with my closer friends... But if they were to be offended I'd apologise because it IS a racist term at the end of the day.
    Don't you think?
    well no. the only racial slurs i'd consider offensive are those that have historical significance to it. even if cracker originates from whip making cracking noises most ppl take it to mean a person who's so dependent on crack they've gone as pasty as crack is. thing is, all races consume crack to some extent so i'd consider it too general to be taken as racist.

ReputationRep:
    I've genuinely never heard that particular term being used as a racist insult in my life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    You'd be ready to bust a fool's balls if they called you 'negro' etc (or 'Paki' or whatever slur relates to your ethnicity)
    I don't see how cracker is any different.
    My faith in the human race grows less and less each day when I see common sense posts like this getting negged.

Edit: :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bjoorn)
    well no. the only racial slurs i'd consider offensive are those that have historical significance to it. even if cracker originates from whip making cracking noises most ppl take it to mean a person who's so dependent on crack they've gone as pasty as crack is. thing is, all races consume crack to some extent so i'd consider it too general to be taken as racist.
    Doesn't matter if some people use it to describe people on crack... It also has historical significance in describing white people.
    And seeing as it was INTENDED as a racial slur (even if it was supposed to be banter), so people can take offence.

It is a racial comment... some people are ok with banter (usually if they are close), but some people take it as an insult... And seeing as it IS a racial insult, that's not wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be offended if someone called me a cracker. Considering it is to do with using whips against slaves, if you called me a cracker then I'd believe that you think I did the same. I don't take kindly to racism of any kind, whether it's banter or not. .

ReputationRep:
    http://www.foodandtell.com/img/heade...0%20credit.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I love crackers. They're om nom nom nom with cheese and hot choc :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    Doesn't matter if some people use it to describe people on crack... It also has historical significance in describing white people.
    And seeing as it was INTENDED as a racial slur (even if it was supposed to be banter), so people can take offence.

It is a racial comment... some people are ok with banter (usually if they are close), but some people take it as an insult... And seeing as it IS a racial insult, that's not wrong.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cracker_(pejorative)

well according to this it was originally used to demean poor white people. unless the guy comes from a poor background i'd say he was overreacting, possibly due to lack of attention as a child

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with calling a white guy a cracker.

There's nothing wrong with calling a someone from Pakistan a paki.

Next.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.