Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats wrong with calling someone white a cracker? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bjoorn)
    ok i'll admit you have a point there, people do have different perceptions of words and they do indeed evolve and change definitions. i just think that unless he grew up where that word bore a grudge and used commonly as such his reaction was totally unjustified. but for me personally i'd always check and see how it came about and if i saw no reason for it to be offensive to a normal person of said race then i'd find it a bit too much
    But just because it originated somewhere else doesn't mean it's not relevant. Language and definitions spread as well as change... It doesn't stop them being relevant. At the end of the day, it's been used in the country for that meaning too, just more recently... As it has, it makes it racist when someone uses it like that. It WAS meant as a racist slur, just jokingly, and it's up to the individual if they are comfortable with the joke or feel that it's inappropriate.

I'm gonna stop now though. I feel I've said all I want to.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I don't see the big problem to be honest

Paki
    Spade
    Jap
    Chink
    Cracker

Who the hell cares, really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    I was in uni today, I was playing snooker with a friend of mine. I end up winning, and as a joke, "I said better luck next time cracker".

he flipped out and accused me of being racist.

What do you white people on here think about this matter :confused:
    I'd say racist slurs seem more like slurs to minority groups because they're in the minority. I would imagine in Zimbabwe whatever slurs they have there against whites would be seen as more racist than the ones they have against blacks.

But at the end of the day there are two sides to the coin: one, there is absolutely no need to use a word which has recently found currency as a white "equivalent" of "n*gger", but in normal discourse/banter between friends there seems to be a lot of banter surrounding ethnicity which is usually taken as just banter.

I expect the only reason he reacted as he did was because he was momentarily pissed off at losing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    Wrong hole.
    Left or right nostril.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    I was in uni today, I was playing snooker with a friend of mine. I end up winning, and as a joke, "I said better luck next time cracker".

he flipped out and accused me of being racist.

What do you white people on here think about this matter :confused:
    I don't find it offensive, I've been called much worse
    I wouldn't even assume you're being offensive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    Meh, I don't see the big problem to be honest

Paki
    Spade
    Jap
    Chink
    Cracker

Who the hell cares, really?
    I do, I've got called a "dirty paki" several times, pretty ****ing annoying when I'm not even a paki.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I not be pissed off if someone used an ethnic/racial slur? Cracker isn't exactly the n-word, but anyone who thinks they can get away with calling me a cracker gonna get slapped down, foo'.

ReputationRep:
    It is a racial slur. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAK.A)
    I do, I've got called a "dirty paki" several times, pretty ****ing annoying when I'm not even a paki.
    Well I can understand you being annoyed if you're not even a paki, also if they use the word dirty infron of the name, I'm just pointing out that paki is an abreviation of pakistani

Like calling a British person a Brit
    A Scottish person a Scot
    Or a Frenchman a c*nt

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting how British ppl are trying to be American, that word isn't used here. Ever.

Don't cry about it. Just like the N-word is hardly used here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GEN.)
    Disgusting how British ppl are trying to be American, that word isn't used here. Ever.

Don't cry about it. Just like the N-word is hardly used here.
    British people tring to be American? And disgusting?
    That's pretty stupid isn't it? Words quite often switch between our socieites, that doesn't mean people are "trying" to be American, and there's nothing wrong with it.
    Considering a HELL of a lot of things you say originate from Britain and our language, culture, etc... I don't see what your problem is.

ReputationRep:
    The word itself is irrelevant (with a few exceptions like the N word or 'Paki' that just can't be used under any circumstances) it's all about the context and the meaning of the word.

If you said it in reference of him being a white guy, in a negative/insulting way then that is racist.

It's like the words "white boy" aren't exactly racist, if I want to describe a white male I can use that phrase perfectly fine.

But if I was to say it in a demeaning sort of way with the intention to insult like "pffttt....white boy :dry:" then that's racist.

ReputationRep:
    He should have replied, 'yea good game n*gga'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedrobear)
    It's not double standards, they're completely different terms. ****** was an epithet used by white people to disparage black people, whereas 'cracker'... has a murky etymology, actually, but it's largely thought to have been used by white people to refer to other white people -- specifically poor white people.

Go ahead and disagree with whether history is relevant to contemporary language or not, but it'd be disingenuous and lazy to say it's all to do with "double standards" or "PC gone mad".
    It's sad you changed the way you write, I miss real talk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    The word itself is irrelevant (with a few exceptions like the N word or 'Paki' that just can't be used under any circumstances) it's all about the context and the meaning of the word.

If you said it in reference of him being a white guy, in a negative/insulting way then that is racist.

It's like the words "white boy" aren't exactly racist, if I want to describe a white male I can use that phrase perfectly fine.

But if I was to say it in a demeaning sort of way with the intention to insult like "pffttt....white boy :dry:" then that's racist.
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dzeh)
    I dont get how cracker relates to being white?
    its the noise a whip makes when it lashes through the air, its a racist term to white people most commonly employed by black people as a refrence to slavery and white people being slavers.

Its also a terminology to talk about poor white people

ReputationRep:
    I like to spread jam on my Crackers....mmm, tasty.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the matter but the manner.

It's just basically a big **** you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_vogue)
    It's sad you changed the way you write, I miss real talk!
    I don't change baby, I come and go like the weather.

ReputationRep:
    Racist op you should be ashamed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.