Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

University Transfers? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I need some advice. I'm currently a student of BA Politics & Law at Essex in my first year but would like to transfer to either SOAS or LSE. My A level results were ABB because I mucked around in my AS, but after 'coming to my senses', I am on course for a First this year.

    Question 1: Is it common for Universities to accept such transfers?

    Question 2: Would they take me on a related but different course such as BSc Government?

    Question 3: When is the best possible time to apply? After I get my results in July of this year? Ucas?

    Thankyou all in advance for your help.

    Do you mean starting from Year 1 again?

    Best thing to do is to contact them via email/phone ASAP. I think most transfers require you to apply via UCAS preferably by the January deadline (I know SOAS do-- I emailed them regarding a transfer into second year for History during December and they said I needed to apply via UCAS). Questions 2 and 3 you really need to ask the uni to be honest since they differ and I don't want to be giving dodgy advice.
    • Thread Starter

    so popdrops, i should wait till I am in my second year? That would leave me only my third year to complete then. Hmm...

    cybergrad, no, continuing from second year. otherwise I would be wasting a year.

    You're in first year aren't you? You could try contacting the unis now (SOAS much more likely to consider) and ask them if you can transfer directly into second year. All they really need is to see your first year results (they tend to want a high 2:1).

    It depends on the university, but as popdrops said they ask for really good marks like a high 2.1 degree. My friend tried to do it, he got the high marks but because many modules were not similar, although it was the same degree title he got refused and asked to start again from Year 1. You should contact the university directly, if the admissions tutor agree to give you a place in the 2nd Year then all you have to do is complete a typical UCAS form that the university forwards to you, it is just a page long (at least it used to be some years back) and is different from the original UCAS application form that you have completed when first applied for a university place, it is just a formality.
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.