Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As anyone here had to pull thier teeth out to before getting braces fitted in ? I have just been to the orthodotics and this was the option given to me but I'm not sure if I want to take it.

ReputationRep:
    I had to have a bunch of teeth taken out when I was 16 and they put braces in some time later, but I was kind of a special case.
    How many are they planning on taking out?

ReputationRep:
    I was told i'd have to have some teeth taken out for braces. The braces would have been for jaw correction though. I decided it wasn't worth bothering with them so I never had the teeth taken/the brace.

ReputationRep:
    I had a few teeth out before i got my braces, because my jaw is too small for lots of teeth.
    Plently of people have this experience!

ReputationRep:
    my brother had to have about 7 teeth take out before he had a brace.

Also i got a brace at 18-20 isnt that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Most people do.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation :/ but looks like i'll have to go private if i want them doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    I had to have a bunch of teeth taken out when I was 16 and they put braces in some time later, but I was kind of a special case.
    How many are they planning on taking out?
    She said two. I don't know what they're called but they're the pointy looking ones on the top row of teeth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymthae)
    I was told i'd have to have some teeth taken out for braces. The braces would have been for jaw correction though. I decided it wasn't worth bothering with them so I never had the teeth taken/the brace.
    Do you regret not following through or are you still happy the way things are ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holamigo)
    my brother had to have about 7 teeth take out before he had a brace.

Also i got a brace at 18-20 isnt that bad.
    Did his teeth straighten out ?

ReputationRep:
    In the long run, it sorts your teeth out, so I wouldn't worry, plus they're kind of cute

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youwishjellyfish)
    I'm in the same situation :/ but looks like i'll have to go private if i want them doing
    How comes you'll have to go private ?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I had 2 taken out. And then 2 wisdom teeth. Fun fun fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    Most people do.
    Ahh I didn't know this before. But judging by the comments and reading elsewhere it actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissCardboardBox)
    She said two. I don't know what they're called but they're the pointy looking ones on the top row of teeth.
    Ah only two, that's not so bad. Is this to prevent "overcrowding" in the mouth? It may not be bad now, but it's something that generally only gets worse over time and will need correction at some point in the future anyway.
    But apparently lots of people have teeth out before braces, which I didn't realise.
    Yeah I don't really know. :p:

I had several taken out and braces for 4 years, and I don't regret it at all! My teeth look so much better. It's worth it in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty normal to have around 4 taken out

I only had 2 out, really unpleasant as the dentist was horrible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    Yep, I had 2 taken out. And then 2 wisdom teeth. Fun fun fun!
    Stupid question but did it hurt during the process ? I havnt had my teeth pulled out in like 10 years plus they aint even wobbly or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure most people have to have some teeth taken out, because it's usually down to your jaw not being big enough to have that many teeth, hence they squish together and twist to fit
    Don't worry about it!

Braces make beautiful faces! Or so the poster of snoopy in my old orthodontist said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by herluberlu)
    In the long run, it sorts your teeth out, so I wouldn't worry, plus they're kind of cute
    Hehe thanks for the reassurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissCardboardBox)
    Stupid question but did it hurt during the process ? I havnt had my teeth pulled out in like 10 years plus they aint even wobbly or anything.
    The normal teeth, not at all. The only remotely uncomfortable aspect was the numbness that lasted for a bit after. During the process though you don't feel a thing. Well, I didn't Don't worry about it - braces really aren't as big a deal as you might think, after a while you'll totally forget you've got them, as will people you know, some don't even notice. My best friend always used to randomly say to me "have you got braces?!" when I'd had them for about a year ^_^ as she'd forget. hehe

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.