Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hah, strange coincidence. I'm 17 and I went to the Orthodontist for the first time today as well.
    My teeth are quite crowded and I have one 'fang' type tooth.() It doesn't look too bad or anything, but I really want them properly straightened out. I have one of my wisdom teeth too, and the other three are impacted.
    The ortho said that I'll most likely need my wisdom teeth out in the future, and they'd definitely need to be removed for me to get normal braces. He said that if I got the 'Damon' brand braces I wouldn't need tooth extractions. They're usually only availably privately, but it shows there's sometimes a way around having teeth removed if you want to avoid it. :dontknow:

I live in a really horrible area for dentists though. The waiting list is seven years long for some people, and the nearest orthodontist is an hour and a half's drive away.
    If anyone has a couple thousand pounds they want to donate so that I can have them privately, then feel free!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissCardboardBox)
    How comes you'll have to go private ?
    my teeth arnt quite bad enough to have it done on the NHS... so it'll be £1900 if i decide to get them, which is a fairly large factor in the decision haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dusty12)
    Hah, strange coincidence. I'm 17 and I went to the Orthodontist for the first time today as well.
    My teeth are quite crowded and I have one 'fang' type tooth.() It doesn't look too bad or anything, but I really want them properly straightened out. I have one of my wisdom teeth too, and the other three are impacted.
    The ortho said that I'll most likely need my wisdom teeth out in the future, and they'd definitely need to be removed for me to get normal braces. He said that if I got the 'Damon' brand braces I wouldn't need tooth extractions. They're usually only availably privately, but it shows there's sometimes a way around having teeth removed if you want to avoid it. :dontknow:

I live in a really horrible area for dentists though. The waiting list is seven years long for some people, and the nearest orthodontist is an hour and a half's drive away.
    If anyone has a couple thousand pounds they want to donate so that I can have them privately, then feel free!
    Haha, strange coincidence indeed. ( Are you sure you werent they're in the waiting room today with me ? ) loool. I joke

I just googled Damon brand braces and its couple of grand to get that done. Looks like i'll have to make do with having my teeth pulled out.

Seven years, oh wow thats really bad. My local orthodontist is about half an hours drive. But living in London the options were quite open.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youwishjellyfish)
    my teeth arnt quite bad enough to have it done on the NHS... so it'll be £1900 if i decide to get them, which is a fairly large factor in the decision haha
    Grrr that's what they told me when I was 13 now look what happened. = /

ReputationRep:
    Do you regret not following through or are you still happy the way things are ?
    I don't really regret it. I probably would say yes i'd like to have nicer teeth but i'd probably more just want them whiter, rather than much more straighter etc.

It's not something you'll look back and regret doing though, they will yield the results. Just gotta grit through the pain/irritation for it.

ReputationRep:
    I had 3 taken out.
    But I was put to sleep... I was pretty young though.

ReputationRep:
    As anyone here had to pull thier teeth out to before getting braces fitted in ? I have just been to the orthodotics and this was the option given to me but I'm not sure if I want to take it.
    Yup, didn't feel a thing and I still have the teeth roots and all to freak people out ha ha. I miss my braces They meant I could always give a ridiculously cheesy grin in photos

ReputationRep:
    I had four taken out. It hurt a little bit during (but only because he was ramming stuff into my mouth, that's bound to feel a little uncomfortable...it was less pain than pressure) and it hurt the day after, but I don't regret having braces at all.

ReputationRep:
    I had four teeth out before getting braces, it's not a nice experience but it's definitely worth it!

ReputationRep:
    Okay I've just talked to my mum and I'm going to call them up tomorrow telling them I've made my decision to go through with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and it's no loss. They don't pull them willy-nilly, it will be beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    the nearest orthodontist is an hour and a half's drive away.
    I go to uni in Swansea and still go to Birmingham dental hospital every few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I go to uni in Swansea and still go to Birmingham dental hospital every few weeks.
    That's like, three hours! :eek:
    Is there no way you can change to a dentist nearer you uni? =/

The orthodontist mentioned Swansea today. He said the waiting lists used to be shorter there, but there'd be no hope for me because they give preference to people who actually live there,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Haha I will be doing the same thing when I go uni in September. I wouldnt see no harm in coming down to London every few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Had four wisdom teeth out and felt like a man........
    after crying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Had four wisdom teeth out and felt like a man........
    after crying
    ^^ pahaha. Lets hope I feel great after too. But wisdom teeth seem to be the most painful but I actually don't get the purpose of them ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and got braces two months ago. I was supposed to have them put on almost two years ago, but I changed my mind at the last minute and so I had to go through the whole process again! I had four teeth taken out - but under general anesthetic, so there really wasn't any discomfort. I was super paranoid about actually having braces on at 17 (since most people I know have already got it over and done with), but people have either told me that they're cute or that they don't really notice I have them at all.

ReputationRep:
    Did his teeth straighten out ?
    yup they did.. still has straight teeth now and he's 24 was about 14 when he had the brace.

ReputationRep:
    That's like, three hours! :eek:
    Is there no way you can change to a dentist nearer you uni? =/
    Don't think it's in my interest even if I could, doing all the surgery malarky and the hospital in Birmingham knows all the case best, so...

ReputationRep:
    As anyone here had to pull thier teeth out to before getting braces fitted in ? I have just been to the orthodotics and this was the option given to me but I'm not sure if I want to take it.
    Well they didn't make me pull them out myself but my dentist did it =). Didn't bother me, once your braces are on the teeth will move pretty much right away to close the gap.

If you're worried about having braces at 17, I got mine on a month after my 21st bday, and won't have them taken off until im 23! So I understand the apprehension, but seriously, take them now while they're free, if you want to straighten them out in the future it'll cost you over 3 grand!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.