Turn on thread page Beta

Braces at 17 HELP ! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissCardboardBox)
    As anyone here had to pull thier teeth out to before getting braces fitted in ? I have just been to the orthodotics and this was the option given to me but I'm not sure if I want to take it.
    I had 4 teeth taken out, 2 injections per each. I used to be afraid of the dentist where I would sweat, and become all hot and bothered. The injections didn't hurt, it feels like you've ate a crisp and chomped it in a funny direction where it jabs your gum. It's a little tingly on the roof of your mouth, and underneath the tooth (on the bottom) where the tongue is, but that is only temporary.

Having those teeth out, and having a brace, was one of the best decisions I made. I was only about 11 when I made the decision, and even then I said no. My mum forced me, and my teeth are perfect. The top left (left from the middle 2) has started to come forward, but my bottom have stayed perfect with wearing the retainer for 8 hours a day after.

If you aren't being charged, do it. It's well worth it - you wouldn't believe how many compliments I've had over my teeth!

Oh and BTW, had them on for about 2 years and 6 months. I did keep changing appointment times, so it was partly my fault because of my exams and stuff. Stick with it, you won't regret it.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Kinesthetic;30391249] '' be afraid of the dentist where I would sweat, and become all hot and bothered. ''

The injections didn't hurt, it feels like you've ate a crisp and chomped it in a funny direction where it jabs your gum. It's a little tingly on the roof of your mouth, and underneath the tooth (on the bottom) where the tongue is, but that is only temporary.
    QUOTE]

This is how I'm currently feeing even after calling them and booking the appointment.

Hopefully I will be saying that it didnt hurt after.

ReputationRep:
    4 Out. 1 top left, 1 bottom left, 1 top right, 1 bottom right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrozenBeak)
    4 Out. 1 top left, 1 bottom left, 1 top right, 1 bottom right.
    Hey, Im getting them done on thursday. But can i ask how long did it take for the gap to close up between the teeth that they pulled out ?

ReputationRep:
    Think of it this way, having straight teeth in the end will make it allll worth it

ReputationRep:
    As anyone here had to pull thier teeth out to before getting braces fitted in ? I have just been to the orthodotics and this was the option given to me but I'm not sure if I want to take it.
    I had to take 4 teeth out (2 up and 2 down), didnt hurt much. Then braces for 17 months. I had really bad looking teeth so had to get it done and it was free. make sure you start before 18 though.

but you need to think if u really need it...i my teeth were slightly bad, i now think i wudnt have done it...there are LOTS of problems if things go wrong..

i was ur age when i asked on yahoo answers abut what i shud do and i ddnt really care what people said. But listen to me!

You need to make sure u spend at least 5 minutes cleaning ur teeth...cleaning ur teeth is so important!! i never had any teeth problem, no fillings nothing before braces and now i still go to the dentist every 2-3 montsh for one...my teeth are no white as they use to be...and i dont trust my teeths at all..

plus i stopped wearing retainers(after braces!) so my teeth are nearly back to where they were before, although still looks way better than before! so think carefully if u really need it and if u do, if u can maintain the cleaning thing!

ReputationRep:
    I had to have 11 teeth removed before getting my brace. 7 baby teeth and 4 adult teeth. Damn my small mouth.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Im getting them done on thursday. But can i ask how long did it take for the gap to close up between the teeth that they pulled out ?
    The brace pulls the teeth together

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planet)
    I had to take 4 teeth out (2 up and 2 down), didnt hurt much. Then braces for 17 months. I had really bad looking teeth so had to get it done and it was free. make sure you start before 18 though.

but you need to think if u really need it...i my teeth were slightly bad, i now think i wudnt have done it...there are LOTS of problems if things go wrong..

i was ur age when i asked on yahoo answers abut what i shud do and i ddnt really care what people said. But listen to me!

You need to make sure u spend at least 5 minutes cleaning ur teeth...cleaning ur teeth is so important!! i never had any teeth problem, no fillings nothing before braces and now i still go to the dentist every 2-3 montsh for one...my teeth are no white as they use to be...and i dont trust my teeths at all..

plus i stopped wearing retainers(after braces!) so my teeth are nearly back to where they were before, although still looks way better than before! so think carefully if u really need it and if u do, if u can maintain the cleaning thing!
    Thanks for the advise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrozenBeak)
    The brace pulls the teeth together
    So no walking around with gaps in my mouth ? Sorry I just can't get the hang of the idea esp. as the last time I had my teeth pulled out I was little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    I had to have 11 teeth removed before getting my brace. 7 baby teeth and 4 adult teeth. Damn my small mouth.
    Ouch. I feel bad for complaining about two teeth now = / The perks of too much teeth ay.

ReputationRep:
    they'll close the gap quite quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I have to little teeth so I got the braces for them to make a gap and put a new one in ^^ And they figured they may as well straighten my teeth while they were at it, win win!

ReputationRep:
    Ouch. I feel bad for complaining about two teeth now = / The perks of too much teeth ay.
    Yeah, my problem was I also have large teeth so there wasn't enough room in my mouth for the amount of teeth I was supposed to hav,e plus I am missing couple of adult teeth. So those baby teeth not being pushed out had to be removed before they could close the gap.

ReputationRep:
    So no walking around with gaps in my mouth ? Sorry I just can't get the hang of the idea esp. as the last time I had my teeth pulled out I was little.
    I had teeth two pre molars out in February and was told by my orthondontist it will take up to 6 months for the gaps to heal (with braces). It's not a problem though- after a couple of days you don't feel anything different.

ReputationRep:
    Op, I'm having the exact same teeth removed in a few weeks! I'd like to know how it goes for you, if you don't mind.

In terms of the age thing, I had a brace on at 17 for about 9 months and now I'm having them back on at 20 for about 2 years. Honestly, don't worry about it, the only stigma is in your head. Even some of my family members didn't notice I had a brace on until I told them! I didn't get any negative comments from friends etc, it's really not a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Embrace it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    Op, I'm having the exact same teeth removed in a few weeks! I'd like to know how it goes for you, if you don't mind.

In terms of the age thing, I had a brace on at 17 for about 9 months and now I'm having them back on at 20 for about 2 years. Honestly, don't worry about it, the only stigma is in your head. Even some of my family members didn't notice I had a brace on until I told them! I didn't get any negative comments from friends etc, it's really not a big deal.
    Yeah I'll keep you posted dw. = )

Haha that's a bit like me I didnt realise some of college friends had them and when I pointed it out they tell me they've had for ages. = /

How comes you getting them again though ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glen_Nichols)
    Embrace it.
    Hehe I think I will once the procedure is done.

ReputationRep:
    = P when I come I will have had my braces done.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.