Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to take a year out part way though your degree? watch

    • Thread Starter

    I am currently in my 2nd year of study, but i really hate being at university.

    Ideally i would like to complete this year, take a year out of studing, then hopefully feel re-inspired and ready to complete my degree to a decent level.

    Is this possible? or if you leave do you have to start again? Im not even sure whether i would come back (probably most dependant on if i fail this year and have to retake it) but as dropping out could potentially be a huge mistake, i would like the safety of being able to return after a year out.

    Any help would be much apprectiated!


    I would imagine it depends on your uni. I know you can at Essex, but I don't know about other unis and I couldn't even tell you if here you'd only be allowed to do it under some circumstances.

    Usually it is yes. Unis are much more understanding of this kind of thing than people might think - and if it's between you dropping out completely or taking a break they'd much rather you came back. Speak to your tutors or counsellors about it.
    • Thread Starter

    ok thanks guys!
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.