Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    Relevance?
    reason for drinking alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    To try and establish that the person is not an all-round loser
    I am not a loser. maybe not that lucky as other people around me but not a loser.

ReputationRep:
    It´s great to relax... but obviously, not too frequently (then it will be sad).

ReputationRep:
    Fine as long as you're not doing it too often and drinking several bottles. I prefer drinking alone and find it's a nice way to relax. I don't get why it sets off alarm bells in some people's heads because not everyone does it will become an alcoholic. My flatmate is convinced it's bad and that I'm gonna end up with a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynthi007)
    I am not a loser. maybe not that lucky as other people around me but not a loser.
    I wasn't suggesting that you were one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    I wasn't suggesting that you were one
    Ok, then I go it wrong.

(Original post by hannah_dru)
    Fine as long as you're not doing it too often and drinking several bottles. I prefer drinking alone and find it's a nice way to relax. I don't get why it sets off alarm bells in some people's heads because not everyone does it will become an alcoholic. My flatmate is convinced it's bad and that I'm gonna end up with a problem.
    Your flatmate is wrong. you are smart enough to control yourself.

wow. amazing. I have finally discovered the multiquote button.

ReputationRep:
    It's abit sad tbh

ReputationRep:
    Ok, then I go it wrong.

Your flatmate is wrong. you are smart enough to control yourself.

That's what I said but she's still convinced that it means there's a problem. I don't get it.
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    It's abit sad tbh
    Why? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    That's what I said but she's still convinced that it means there's a problem. I don't get it.

Why? :confused:
    Just sitting in a room with a six pack on your own :confused: what is the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Dreaming*)
    Just sitting in a room with a six pack on your own :confused: what is the point?
    To chill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    So.....pints, then? :lolwut:

Similarly, I'll drink by myself when getting ready to go out.

Or if I'm having a "**** the world and everyone I know" sort of day. Which is surprisingly rare.
    Well it was a plastic cup I managed to find from the kitchen, only oe that was bigger than a mug, when I think pint I think an actual pub glass :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandingo666)
    Depends how it's done. A beer whilst the footy is on/ Glass of wine after a hard days work - fine

Bottle of Jack in you're bedroom with some emo **** playing in the background - not cool.
    I literally spat at my laptop screen from a sudden burst of laughter at this

ReputationRep:
    Personally i have got fairly drunk alone on a few occasions, but only due to relationship complications. I.e. we broke up/on a break or i didnt know what was happening.
    Not something id do when im happy though, a couple of beers maybe, but not drunk drunk

ReputationRep:
    Why do people think you have to have company to drink alcohol?

Why should company dictate any behaviour?

If anything, having company is a prerequisite for peer pressure, so if you drink alone, you are doing it because you enjoy it and nothing else.

People who say "I only drink with friends" are probably more ****ed up than alcoholics - you need someone to hold your hand whilst justifying your choice to drink alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What is TSR's opinion on drinking alone?
    I'm doing it right now, or at least seeing his thread reminded me I bought a beer last night after work and am going to drink it after yet another horrible shift at work...thanks

But I remember I used to drink alone before a night out, none of my freinds drank (carry outs at least), so I would always start drinking about 7ish, then get a taxi with them to the club, that was years ago though.

EDIT: Took the wrong ****ing bottle, looks like I'm drinking Ginger Beer to night

ReputationRep:
    Joints + iTunes visualiser instead.

ReputationRep:
    It took me a while as well

ReputationRep:
    I respect solitary drinkers more than people who only drink in company, and use it as an excuse for drinking.
    No, you're not a social drinker, you're a ****er. You drink to get drunk. ****.

ReputationRep:
    I do it occasionally. But not often. I don't see anything wrong with a couple of glasses of cider on your own.
    Even have drank too much a couple of times but it's not something to do on a regular basis. I don't see anything wrong with it tbh. As long as you know the limit

ReputationRep:
    What actually constitues an alcohol problem, as long as someone is enjoying themselves and not harming others, leave them be. Drinking alone doesn't constitute a problem unless the person is drinking when they get up in the morning then continuing all day; ending up bolloxed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.