Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PygmyShrew)
    I'm genuinely shocked at how many people seem to think cheating like this is normal. It didn't happen in my school. Makes my A* in German feel a bit of a waste.
    this exactly! i worked really hard learning my german speech by heart and then learning possible answers to questions, and the people doing french worked just as hard if not harder!! when my school found out a teacher had been trying to help students out she got banned from teaching german... i thought teachers had an obligation to be role models- since when is teaching people cheating is ok a good idea!!

ReputationRep:
    fair enough cheating is cheating but think about this by reporting its possible that everyone who does french there will be disqualified not only from french but from ALL their GCSE's and future exams for a certain number of years........ does that make it really worth it. Also because youre annoyamous this will happen to you also and if youre not annoyamous then theres no way that you can prove youre not guilty too.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm genuinely shocked at how many people seem to think cheating like this is normal. It didn't happen in my school. Makes my A* in German feel a bit of a waste.
    :ditto:
    I'm also a bit shocked at the number of "don't be a snitch"-type responses, to be honest, because this is hardly comparable to telling on a friend or classmate, is it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by phill232)
    fair enough cheating is cheating but think about this by reporting its possible that everyone who does french there will be disqualified not only from french but from ALL their GCSE's and future exams for a certain number of years........ does that make it really worth it. Also because youre annoyamous this will happen to you also and if youre not annoyamous then theres no way that you can prove youre not guilty too.
    What makes you so certain that they'll go and punish the students for the school's wrongdoing?:confused: That doesn't make any sense. Provided they actually manage to prove any irregularities in exam procedures (which isn't guaranteed), it's more likely that the school will get a hefty fine and be forced to switch to another exam board - which will also affect their pupils, of course, but not in as dramatic a way as you're suggesting. After all, it wasn't the pupils who did anything wrong here.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! How is it okay if 'loads of people do it'?! :eek: It's unfair and an unrealistic assessment of ability and hard work. If you haven't prepared well enough for the oral exam not to have to read from a sheet of paper then you don't deserve a good grade. And any school that actively condones and encourages it needs a wake up call to what education is actually about

ReputationRep:
    Haha this happened in my old school, but I didn't even take a piece of paper into the exam for the bit where you were allowed, I was that over confident !! But I had the option of reading.

Personally OP I wouldn't get involved.
    You could end someone's teaching career, and everyone knows that 90% of teachers who start off which a passion for teaching - languages especially can be such a vibrant and rewarding subject - end up feeling pressurised by exam results, league tables and disruptive behaviour in the classroom, and turn to cheating as a way out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    As much as I don't want to condone cheating, I can't see any benefit in reporting this to the exam board. Either the exam board won't take any action, in which case it's a waste of time bothering them and risking the school finding out what you did, or they'll take action against everyone sitting the exam at your centre, penalising you for something you haven't been involved in.
    Or maybe it will discourage the school from doing something similar in the future. Schools should be encouraging and demonstrating integrity to their pupils.

ReputationRep:
    My school did this out of desperation for the Welsh GCSE: I refused point blank to cheat but if I'd wanted to I could have looked at the board where they'd written high standard argument phrases, key words or written my script on the sheet (we were allowed a sheet of like 6 key points, not even full sentences officially, but the school allowed people to bring their whole script in).

I say desperation because it really was; the state of Welsh language teaching in comprehensives in Wales is shoddy and without that intervention most people would have failed to get even a C, but I still don't agree with it and toyed with the idea of reporting it myself, still wish I did.

ReputationRep:
    at my school, they let the lower sets do this. or the teacher would make hand signals indicating if the Q she was asking was in past, present or future.
    i'm in 4th year doing French at university and these people will never progress in French, still got a much lower grade than i did (i wasnt reading) so what's the point really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    However, unless the school is punished, I can't see them changing their ways.
    Rubbish! The newspaper reports would severely embarrass the staff and head, maybe cause a resignation or sacking, and things would change faster than a fourth year could say la plume de ma tante est plus grand que le jardin de mon oncle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Mind your own business.

A lot of schools do this. Furthermore, I'd imagine the exam board is aware - it's a quirk of doing teacher-administered tests in this way that anyone and everyone can and will cheat. Just join in and play the system. I would disagree if something actually important depended on your French GCSE result - a university place, say - but no. Don't be that guy.
    Btw i also go to a faith school, very renounded for its principles and values, 1 such being honesty...this really is discraceful. And also they are pretty much picking students at random and the 'clever' ones to read from the sheets and also telling them how they should pretend to struggle. And also .. I've been told that French and every GCSE does matter for my Uni place.. I am pretty much doing badly in all my subjects including English except Science and Maths which im getting straight As, would you say I should be worried? I want to get into software engineering.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overtherainbow)
    this exactly! i worked really hard learning my german speech by heart and then learning possible answers to questions, and the people doing french worked just as hard if not harder!! when my school found out a teacher had been trying to help students out she got banned from teaching german... i thought teachers had an obligation to be role models- since when is teaching people cheating is ok a good idea!!
    The Headteacher knows and does not care, and allows it to happen the exam officer can't do anything because then she'll get sacked. If I try anything inside the school I will get kicked out, and I havn't applied for anywhere else for sixth form, as I did want to come and still do really. This is disguisting because I go to a faith school and the headteacher always teaches us about how to do the right things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenkatsu)
    Haha this happened in my old school, but I didn't even take a piece of paper into the exam for the bit where you were allowed, I was that over confident !! But I had the option of reading.

Personally OP I wouldn't get involved.
    You could end someone's teaching career, and everyone knows that 90% of teachers who start off which a passion for teaching - languages especially can be such a vibrant and rewarding subject - end up feeling pressurised by exam results, league tables and disruptive behaviour in the classroom, and turn to cheating as a way out.
    Our French department is really wierd. She always swears and has arguments and insults people, they can't teach but are very good at cheating... other threaten us with black magic and stuff. lol -_-

ReputationRep:
    Didn't happen at my school but it happened at the school that got the best results in the town, but after GCSE no one even cares... tbf the only stuff people care about are english & maths. get over it, if it was A level then fair enough, but it really really isn't worth it

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Mind your own business.

A lot of schools do this. Furthermore, I'd imagine the exam board is aware - it's a quirk of doing teacher-administered tests in this way that anyone and everyone can and will cheat. Just join in and play the system. I would disagree if something actually important depended on your French GCSE result - a university place, say - but no. Don't be that guy.
    That's terrible!
    During my GCSEs there was no cheating involved in the exams and never has been. It's so odd that this would be allowed, we were expected to work hard, staying back every week after school and often extra lessons with newspaper clippings and movies just to get our french accent and hold of grammar right.
    It's terrible that most of the students in the UK get away with this.

ReputationRep:
    Should I report my school?

For the writing exam, we knew the question, we wrote it all out the day before, and we all just brought it in and copied it out in the hall...

My school said it was allowed? Damn how could I have been so dumb =(

Oh well, should I tell the examining board?....

ReputationRep:
    My school selected like 9 people to polished their writing (one of them were me), and they purposely dumbed down a couple of people to make it seem realistic =/

I feel so guilty =/ I wrote down roughly 480words to an A* standard =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mintmocha)
    That's terrible!
    During my GCSEs there was no cheating involved in the exams and never has been. It's so odd that this would be allowed, we were expected to work hard, staying back every week after school and often extra lessons with newspaper clippings and movies just to get our french accent and hold of grammar right.
    It's terrible that most of the students in the UK get away with this.
    Blame the schools, not the pupils. Schools know that they're judged on their exam performance, and that the exams are very easy for centres to run dishonestly due to their format. They also know that if they don't encourage pupils to cheat, they will automatically be disadvantaged compared to schools which do encourage pupils to cheat. So really, if they have a choice between decent honest results and excellent dishonest results, and there's someone pressuring them to get the best results they can, what are they going to do?

It's also to do with what a school can afford to provide. You mention extra lessons; not all schools have the staff or resources to put these on, and not all schools have access to native speakers who can help you get your accent 'just right'. Some schools have a very small number of people taking languages as they're non-compulsory, so they might not be able to, say, hire a French student on an exchange just to help the 6 people who happen to be taking French. So again, this means their students aren't going to do as well - thus greater incentive to cheat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Instincts_2012)
    Should I report my school?

For the writing exam, we knew the question, we wrote it all out the day before, and we all just brought it in and copied it out in the hall...

My school said it was allowed? Damn how could I have been so dumb =(

Oh well, should I tell the examining board?....
    how would you think that was allowed?!

troll.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.