Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petitflam)
    how would you think that was allowed?!

troll.
    I mean - of course I didn't think it was allowed, but a part of me wanted it to be allowed - so I just sorta convinced myself that it was allowed.

But now I see all of these comments on TSR, I don't know what to say anymore =(

Edit: Also, my teacher said don't worry, just prepare and take it in and just complete it - just don't use google translate. I trust most things teachers say, so at the time I believed it a lot, and I myself WANTED to believe it was true.

ReputationRep:
    I worked my ass off for my french oral exam, and I don't think its fair at all that people are getting better marks than me with less work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerily)
    Blame the schools, not the pupils. Schools know that they're judged on their exam performance, and that the exams are very easy for centres to run dishonestly due to their format. They also know that if they don't encourage pupils to cheat, they will automatically be disadvantaged compared to schools which do encourage pupils to cheat. So really, if they have a choice between decent honest results and excellent dishonest results, and there's someone pressuring them to get the best results they can, what are they going to do?

It's also to do with what a school can afford to provide. You mention extra lessons; not all schools have the staff or resources to put these on, and not all schools have access to native speakers who can help you get your accent 'just right'. Some schools have a very small number of people taking languages as they're non-compulsory, so they might not be able to, say, hire a French student on an exchange just to help the 6 people who happen to be taking French. So again, this means their students aren't going to do as well - thus greater incentive to cheat.
    I understand what you mean, I'm probably more annoyed because our school takes cheating very seriously and it's unfair that someone else would cheat and get better grades.
    I go to very small catholic school so yeah, we too, didn't have many resources. We just have four french teachers. So it was the teacher's initiative to stay back after school and teach us. I understand that not all teachers are like this and thus that would be a factor as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Instincts_2012)
    I mean - of course I didn't think it was allowed, but a part of me wanted it to be allowed - so I just sorta convinced myself that it was allowed.

But now I see all of these comments on TSR, I don't know what to say anymore =(

Edit: Also, my teacher said don't worry, just prepare and take it in and just complete it - just don't use google translate. I trust most things teachers say, so at the time I believed it a lot, and I myself WANTED to believe it was true.
    i wouldnt tell the exam board, your whole school's GCSEs could be in trouble?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmrinderRai)
    Our French department is really wierd. She always swears and has arguments and insults people, they can't teach but are very good at cheating... other threaten us with black magic and stuff. lol -_-
    Sounds odd. Whatever you do, just remember that you'll be jeopardising jobs if you squeal, as well as the GCSE exams for the year below you (who might not be able to take the French exam they've been working towards for X number of years if your school is disciplined by AQA).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenkatsu)
    Sounds odd. Whatever you do, just remember that you'll be jeopardising jobs if you squeal, as well as the GCSE exams for the year below you (who might not be able to take the French exam they've been working towards for X number of years if your school is disciplined by AQA).
    That is ridiculous scaremongering nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    That is ridiculous scaremongering nonsense.
    Not my intention, I genuinely thought that that was how the complaints system worked, it wasn't my intention to scare OP. Maybe I was a bit hasty in my 'year below' comment, but you don't know how long they could investigate for.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/ne...lts_cancelled/

ReputationRep:
    I'm not advocating your school cheating (though to be fair it is just French) but do you really want to be that guy that everyone hates? Not only will the school be disqualified, a whole year of students will have all their exams disqualified (well thats what happens with SQA, I don't really understand the weird English system of having multiple exam boards.) You're setting yourself up to be bullied and hated by a whole school, no-ones going to thank you for it.
    It's not a good thing, it's just how it's bound to turn out.

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally say something. Our French teacher gave us massive hints during our exam but let 1 of us take the sheet in. I don't think it's fair and despite the fact that he cheated, he still managed to fail so I guess what goes around comes around.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    I'd personally say something. Our French teacher gave us massive hints during our exam but let 1 of us take the sheet in. I don't think it's fair and despite the fact that he cheated, he still managed to fail so I guess what goes around comes around.
    Well, clearly the reason why they allowed him to take in the sheet in the first place was that they were seriously worried about his chances of passing (and not without reason, or he wouldn't have failed despite having been given unfair assistance).:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Well, clearly the reason why they allowed him to take in the sheet in the first place was that they were seriously worried about his chances of passing (and not without reason, or he wouldn't have failed despite having been given unfair assistance).:dontknow:
    It wasn't fair because barely anyone passed in that class. He even re-did GCSE french last year and failed again.
    Surely it was against the rules?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    It wasn't fair because barely anyone passed in that class. He even re-did GCSE french last year and failed again.
    Surely it was against the rules?
    Yes, of course. I was only saying that the fact that he still failed wasn't just dramatic justice, it was linked to the reasons why they let him cheat.

ReputationRep:
    my teacher encouraged me to cheat and im sure this is the case for hundreds of schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PygmyShrew)
    I'm genuinely shocked at how many people seem to think cheating like this is normal. It didn't happen in my school. Makes my A* in German feel a bit of a waste.
    Same here, I had to work hard for my A*s in French and Spanish, and it seems really unfair that others get away with cheating. If the OP does have the courage to report it, then good for them!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.