Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

death of our drinking culture Watch

ReputationRep:
    i think the governments new laws towards alcohol are unbelievably rubbish.
    they are killing our drinking culture with all these laws to prevent binge drinking.
    As a guy who likes to enjoy the odd night out, i feel it has ruined part of the experience of a typical British night out. Restricting access to alcohol only makes the situation worse for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    To be brutally honest, i really dont care for alcohol and bing drinking too much these days. Not trying to derail the topic here, but there are way better substances out there than alcohol, and better for your health too. I have way way more fun in one day on a mescaline of mushroom trip, than i have out of all the times i have gone drinking put together. I dont get hung over either, and i dont have to put up with other obnoxious drunks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem in binge drinking. So it makes city centres unsafe, but most shops are shut, so why go there? The only places open largely appeal to youngsters anyhow. I think also the UK is a macho culture, so drinking a lot is seen as "hard". This is the main reason people binge drink, since fun is subjective. Nobody needs to drink 13 beers to have fun (not in an absolute sense anyhow).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    I don't see the problem in binge drinking. So it makes city centres unsafe, but most shops are shut, so why go there? The only places open largely appeal to youngsters anyhow. I think also the UK is a macho culture, so drinking a lot is seen as "hard". This is the main reason people binge drink, since fun is subjective. Nobody needs to drink 13 beers to have fun (not in an absolute sense anyhow).
    Binge drinking can cause liver damage, and other things such as oral cancer, and various psychoses, as well as accidents people have when they're drunk. The cost of alcohol abuse to the NHS is ridiculous and unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    How about drink less, Vom less and remember more..

ReputationRep:
    The day this binge drinking culture is stamped out is a victory for Britain imo. Causes so many problems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    Binge drinking can cause liver damage, and other things such as oral cancer, and various psychoses, as well as accidents people have when they're drunk. The cost of alcohol abuse to the NHS is ridiculous and unnecessary.
    Doesn't matter - the govt makes a profit on alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Doesn't matter - the govt makes a profit on alcohol.
    Ah and you think the tax from alcohol sales goes into the NHS?

ReputationRep:
    As does smoking (in the sense that it costs state funding in the case of treating/curing illnesses). I don't believe that people should be discouraged from things that are unhealthy. The government isn't a nanny.

ReputationRep:
    no alcohol the time would pass so slowly.

ReputationRep:
    As does smoking (in the sense that it costs state funding in the case of treating/curing illnesses). I don't believe that people should be discouraged from things that are unhealthy. The government isn't a nanny.
    Yeah, as does a pile of other things but this thread's about binge drinking lol. I believe people have the right to choose what they want to do, but then they shouldn't depend on NHS treatment!

ReputationRep:
    Parts of our drinking culture are disgusting though. Fair enough 5 or 6 drinks and you're fairly drunk and merry (for me anyway ), but the other night I mixed 10 completely different drinks, was sick once that night, and about 8 times the next day whenever I tried to eat or even drink water. It wasn't until 7pm that I could actually sip a little bit of water; I was so paranoid that I was going to pass out with exhaustion and dehydration! This is when binge drinking gets ugly, and can get much worse. I don't blame the government for wanting to cut down on it!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, as does a pile of other things but this thread's about binge drinking lol. I believe people have the right to choose what they want to do, but then they shouldn't depend on NHS treatment!
    Any UK citizen should hold the right to treatment in any NHS facility, no matter what caused their condition.

ReputationRep:
    Our drinking culture is ridiculous, university has seriously damaged my health lol (serious - I have been having so many asthma problems for the first time in 3 years)

We don't do things like drugs and alcohol just to have fun anymore (society in general) we do it to get completely and utterly ****ed. The success of a night doesn't seem to be whether you had fun it seems to be how little you remember or stupid things you did or how ****ed you get. My dad said he had something of a reputation for being an alcoholic and a bit of a drug taker (no hard drugs he says), but when I told him how much the average student drinks/takes in drugs he was appalled.

We are a nation of complete excess in terms of alcohol, smoking, drugs, eating and everything unhealthy it would seem. Why this is I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Any UK citizen should hold the right to treatment in any NHS facility, no matter what caused their condition.
    Well then why shouldn't the government encourage healthier habits? They fund the treatment, therefore they should be able to try and control what the funding is used for.

ReputationRep:
    Ah and you think the tax from alcohol sales goes into the NHS?
    Of course not - but why does it matter? The money is still invested in other public services.

ReputationRep:
    yea its true there are more laws put in place now, but that means people will just find loopholes to bypass that ie organized pub crawls, went to one about 3 weeks ago, was a new zealand thing, pretty decent
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The binge drinking culture has gone a bit too far anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I used to really find binge drinking amazing. I am bored of it now tbh, my relationship with alcohol has gone from zomg lets get pissed and puke everywhere to just relaxing with a beer or a glass of wine, at the moment I honestly have no desire to drink in 'wtf is going on, being sick and falling over'quantities ever again. I know a lot of people who get completely ratted do it because they cannot confidently hold a conversation when sober, others because they can't really appreciate an alternative way of having fun or celebrating an event....

ReputationRep:
    Binge drinking isn't a good thing - fine. However, it shouldn't be upto the government to force people to drink a certain way. They should provide education about alcohol and the dangers of drinking too much, but restricting alcohol availability or massively inflating the price isn't going to tackle the problem, it's just going to piss people off along the way.

(Original post by pippa90)
    Parts of our drinking culture are disgusting though. Fair enough 5 or 6 drinks and you're fairly drunk and merry (for me anyway ), but the other night I mixed 10 completely different drinks, was sick once that night, and about 8 times the next day whenever I tried to eat or even drink water. It wasn't until 7pm that I could actually sip a little bit of water; I was so paranoid that I was going to pass out with exhaustion and dehydration! This is when binge drinking gets ugly, and can get much worse. I don't blame the government for wanting to cut down on it!
    Just a suggestion here: You say this drinking culture is disgusting and "don't blame the government for wanting to cut it down", how about you take a tiny bit of personal responsibility and maybe just don't drink so much? Jesus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.