Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

death of our drinking culture Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajveers)
    i think the governments new laws towards alcohol are unbelievably rubbish.
    they are killing our drinking culture with all these laws to prevent binge drinking.As a guy who likes to enjoy the odd night out, i feel it has ruined part of the experience of a typical British night out. Restricting access to alcohol only makes the situation worse for everyone.
    What laws?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing more attractive than a binge drinker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Binge drinking isn't a good thing - fine. However, it shouldn't be upto the government to force people to drink a certain way. They should provide education about alcohol and the dangers of drinking too much, but restricting alcohol availability or massively inflating the price isn't going to tackle the problem, it's just going to piss people off along the way.

Just a suggestion here: You say this drinking culture is disgusting and "don't blame the government for wanting to cut it down", how about you take a tiny bit of personal responsibility and maybe just don't drink so much? Jesus.
    I totally know it was all my fault, I never said it wasn't! It doesn't mean that the government don't want to cut it down though. The NHS and emergency services waste a lot of time and money on people who have made themselves extremely drunk, so by raising the taxes on alcohol and cutting down on where and when it can be sold will hopefully save them a bit of money.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus my head hurts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Of course not - but why does it matter? The money is still invested in other public services.
    My point was that binge drinking imposes a huge cost on the NHS, not other public services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    My point was that binge drinking imposes a huge cost on the NHS, not other public services.
    And I agree. My point is that the tax money raised is more than enough to make up for it. If the government chooses to spend the money elsewhere then it's them you should be angry as well as the binge drinkers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    And I agree. My point is that the tax money raised is more than enough to make up for it. If the government chooses to spend the money elsewhere then it's them you should be angry as well as the binge drinkers.
    Yeah definitely they waste money on useless crap, but that doesn't change the fact that binge drinking costs the NHS loads lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Our drinking culture is ridiculous, university has seriously damaged my health lol (serious - I have been having so many asthma problems for the first time in 3 years)
    You damaged your health, not university.

You're an adult, take responsibility for your own actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    We don't do things like drugs and alcohol just to have fun anymore (society in general) we do it to get completely and utterly ****ed. The success of a night doesn't seem to be whether you had fun it seems to be how little you remember or stupid things you did or how ****ed you get. My dad said he had something of a reputation for being an alcoholic and a bit of a drug taker (no hard drugs he says), but when I told him how much the average student drinks/takes in drugs he was appalled.

We are a nation of complete excess in terms of alcohol, smoking, drugs, eating and everything unhealthy it would seem. Why this is I don't know.
    You keep talking about this as if everyone is doing this ****, and somehow it's something unescapable.

I doubt if half of the students on my course are that irresponsible.

The fact is it's a minority of people who drink more than they can handle and make fools of themselves. The answer is not to associate with those people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.