Turn on thread page Beta

I have been in my full time job for nearly 3 and a half years. They say its admin but really it is a call centre environment. Since I started right until last Christmas I was quite strong and dealt with the busy environment and pressure. In the last 3 months I have developed bad health problems as a result as the workload has doubled a year after I started as our other agency does not phone the customers so we end up doing their work too.

I have developed bad anxiety and the chest pain hurts a lot as I am strained by the workload and annoyed that customers shout and moan at me as people are not doing their job. I have spoke to the doctor who diagnosed anxiety. I ended up ringing in sick for 3 days recently and I have never rang in sick for over 2 years. My supervisor discussed it with me when I was back to see if I was ok and she knows it was because of the workload and she doesn't want me to leave.

The thing is its like my supervisor disregarded that conversation and I feel ill again as they are piling on work and I am having to do my colleagues work and phone calls as he has only returned part time this week after being off long term sick. I don't want to be here in the next 9 months as they want to change the office hours to evenings and weekends but refuse to pay us and said we have to take the time off and no extra staff will be provided in the daytime so this will make me even more ill. How can I look after myself, I am doing a job I hate and there are not many jobs out there but at the same time need to look after my mental health.

ReputationRep:
    I'll happily take your job thanks, what's your e-mail, we can discuss this dude.

ReputationRep:
    See your doctor about your mental health. There can be ways to deal with this and make you feel better without having to leave your job. It's better to seek the help and advice you need than to leave yourself in a vulnerable position financially.
    If you really hate the job, which it seems you do, start searching for another but do this while continuing where you are. Don't leave until you have another lined up, avoiding the issue of having no money.

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel trapped. If your supervisors along with the company aren't willing to support you with your health, it's not worth staying in.

Begin a jobhunt or speak with your local JobCentre. Something will be around the corner!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.