Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHeart)

This morning, I was on the bus and the bus stopped at Josh's stop. I looked out of the window and saw him with a cigarette in his hand. I have NO idea why but my heart sort of dropped and I've been down ever since this morning. By the way, smoking really puts me off, I even feel emotionally sick if I smell it. I don't know why but I just feel really depressed. I sort of felt like going up to him and smacking him. However childish that may sound, I'm sorry but that's just how I function. Can anyone help with my latest mood? I just feel emotionally sick, distressed and upset?

OOH GOD! Seriously if my girlfriend suddenly announced she was taking up smoking...it would be a total nightmare I really can't stand it either. That really does suck, same as you if I was interested in someone and they pulled out a cigarette...it would be really frustrating. You'll get over it in a little while, plenty of other nice non-smokers.

ReputationRep:
    It seems a bit unlucky that the one guy you have decided to follow around and fancy the pants off is a smoker when you hate smokers lol. To be honest, all this guy is is someone on your bus you thought was fit. Just look at a different seat on the bus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bakerzoid)
    The stupidity of women amuses me.
    Don't complain, it's to our advantage

ReputationRep:
    Why are people being so harsh?

It's a preference for one to find smoking a complete turn off. But I do agree that she's slightly overreacting.

Everyone just needs to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    Since you've presumably not had a great deal of actual contact with him, you've built up an unrealistic ideal of him in your head. It's hardly surprising that you find things you don't like about him.

ReputationRep:
    Josh:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a6/...avMaster20.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Since you've presumably not had a great deal of actual contact with him, you've built up an unrealistic ideal of him in your head. It's hardly surprising that you find things you don't like about him.
    I notice a lot of women appear to have this same problem. BS ideas of what human beings are supposed to be.

You can't compare real people to people on tv or people you just imagined in your head.

ReputationRep:
    So you barely know the guy, yet are pissed off at him for smoking?
    You expect him to be something he isn't (a non-smoker) yet can't deal with the fact that life has thrown you a curveball?

The world is going to eat your soul and fart out the particles.

ReputationRep:
    dude calm down, it's not like you guys are going out

ReputationRep:
    Smokers don't really bother me, its a life choice. If you got to know him I am sure you could 'change' him if you care about it so much.

(just out of interest why does your bus taken an hour to get to school, is it through country lanes because i ****ing hate that)

ReputationRep:
    Mind your own ****ing business, you stalker.

ReputationRep:
    Hey it's ok, some people find smoking a bit disgusting yes, but if I liked someone that much I wouldn't let it get to me, I'd just be prepared to ask him not to smoke around me personally if I got to know him better...

As long as you're not prejudiced against smokers themselves and just don't like the act of it, you should be fine pursuing a smoker.. right?

ReputationRep:
    It's exactly the same when you see anyone smoke you thought didn't and all you think is

'oh'

ReputationRep:
    Such a good post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    Smokers don't really bother me, its a life choice. If you got to know him I am sure you could 'change' him if you care about it so much.

(just out of interest why does your bus taken an hour to get to school, is it through country lanes because i ****ing hate that)
    I wish it was you know, its on the other side of city. I live the south and my 6th form is based in the north somewhere...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    This.

Also, the solution is simple... if him smoking bothers you that much then perhaps you just find some other guy to admire from afar, build unrealistic expectations of and then be distraught over.

ReputationRep:
    You sound incredibly creepy. You stalk some random guy and in your mind you build him up to be so 'perfect' human and completely overreact to him having one character flaw. If this was a guy posting the same thread about a woman the responses would have been much less kind. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    Hah! Oh you remind me of myself...
    Don't worry about it, it's not like you're planning on marrying or anything!
    It's only a minor issue, not really worth ruining what could be the beginnings of something beautiful.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You get used to it.

I grew up in my mother's house for 18 years - no-one was allowed to smoke on the premises (bearing in mind dad ran a business from there so there were constantly people around) and I didn't have any friends who smoked.

Got to uni and BAM! Fell for a bloke who smokes a deck a day! He smokes less now I'm with him, and has tried to give up a few times, but as long as he doesn't want kisses straight after a cig, I don't really mind any more.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing you can do... you're not even dating!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.