The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by im so academic
I'm sure all those who walk down the aisle would assume they would be with them forever and ever and ever. :love:

Just look at the divorce rates.

Thank you. You have now answered my question.

I answered you question in my first post.

PERFECT PARTNER you said, that = loves you for ever and ever unconditionally. Unless by perfect partner you mean idiot that would marry you and then leave, because that's not how I interpret it?
Original post by Smelly Ellie
People in love do not get divorced. Also I am passionate about my choice of career, or else I wouldn't have any offers at uni would I? There'd nothing wrong with wanting a family and love, that would make me happy :smile:

There must be an awful LOT of people who aren't in love then. Check up the divorce rates.

Remember: most people believe walking down the aisle that they are marrying their perfect partner, that they will stay with them forever.

Who's to say your perfect partner will stay with you forever?

Getting offers at university =/= passionate :rofl: I could talk about that, but that's a different thing.

You call that passion? :lolwut:

Agreed with your last point, but there's this belief that if you don't want a family or romantic love, there is something wrong with you. :rolleyes:
Original post by T DuDe R3B3L
NO!... It wont happen. You have to look after number one.
I don't believe there is ONE perfect partner in the world for you. And those that believe that are pretty stupid.

The world is a big place... and there is no one on this earth that has met everyone, so how they can say "He/She is my soul mate" is pretty shocking.

(My opinion btw)

It's even worse when people think they've found "the one" at 15/16. :rolleyes:
Reply 263
Original post by street.lovin'
You are serious?

yes
Original post by riotgrrl
It's a lot easier to say that when you've never been in love -which I'm guessing from your posts and your age, you haven't? I believe that plenty of people would give up their ideal partner for their career but I find it really difficult to believe that anyone would find it EASY.

If you want to know why it would be an easy decision, feel free to PM me.

There is a reason why I've said "perfect partner".

PM me, if you want me to explain further.
Original post by woozeybear
Well I've always wanted a family, longer than a career (although I am dedicated to my career choice) I'd be more upset not having a family, and if I did that'd be like a job anyway raising kids and stuff. Everyone has to make a living for their future family/themselves anyway, but if my perfect partner could support everyone then fair enough I guess? Although I'd hate to have someone "perfect" around me :tongue:

Wait, what?

Whoever said it was necessary?
Original post by mermania
I would never give up anything in my personal life for any job. No career is worth it, jobs are nothing but a means to an end - money.

What if your perfect job was doing something you love with a really **** wage?

Perfect job =/= IB banker
There must be an awful LOT of people who aren't in love then. Check up the divorce rates.

Remember: most people believe walking down the aisle that they are marrying their perfect partner, that they will stay with them forever.

Getting offers at university =/= passionate :rofl: I could talk about that, but that's a different thing.

Agreed with your last point, but there's this belief that if you don't want a family or romantic love, there is something wrong with you. :rolleyes:

In this idealistic situation you said perfect, so we would not get divorced silly. Well you're the Cambridge lover who says it's all about passion, so either you're lying or I got a place because of passion. Either way you're wrong :tongue: I don't think that at all, go for it, I would just personally choose love.
Yea.
Original post by T-Toe
yes

*facepalm*
Original post by carbondummy
It doesn't matter what you choose, you can't be happy with one without the other.

Says who?
Reply 271
I don't really understand why you're attacking those who would give up their ideal career for a perfect partner, but not the other way round if this is an unbiased, curious question.

You say why can't we live how we want to?

Some people want to have kids, what's wrong with that choice? Not everyone aims for a family because 'that's the norm', some people just value family above career.

I am not in the slightest ambitious in terms of career, I didn't study Psychology to make loads of money (luckily!) I chose it.. to help people. A lot of jobs I'm considering would probably come under the 'crappy' umbrella for being underpaid and underappreciated, and none of them are my main aim in life. I'd much rather make an impact on my 'perfect partner' and have children that are well looked after than be alone striving to 'save the world' and not necessarily achieve it.

And you can't change the question to say 'what if I get in a time machine and make sure you do achieve it' whilst simultaneously saying 'but I can't guarantee your perfect partner won't leave you'.
Reply 272

The same argument can be used in reverse, compare the number of people who are at top of their respective career with the number of people who want to get there...

PS: You still haven't replied to my earlier post...
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
I agree with this wholeheartedly, very good post - wish it would let me rep.

This is something that I was writing about 2 days ago in my reclaim self-confidence post about the fact that we should see the world through our own eyes and not the eyes of other people.

Brilliant. :smile:

Agreed.

People talk this crap that "oh when you retire what will you have left?"

Who's to say they'll live that long anyways? :lolwut:

At the end of the day, when we die, we die only for ourselves.
Original post by T-Toe
Who says a goal can't be unconditional also?

Explain. :smile:
Reply 275
Original post by street.lovin'
*facepalm*

Do you have a better explanation?
Original post by overtherainbow
have you ever been in love? dont say that until you have- its not an easy decision

PM me. There is a personal reason why I've said "perfect partner" as opposed to "true love".

but having said that i have put myself through hell to get where i am and would hate to waste it- the only thing pushing me through these exams is the thought of my dream at the end.

equally walking away from my perfect partner would be so hard

in either situation it is impossible to be totally happy. that said my perfect partner would never take my dreams away from me- so I guess dreams come first

Of course both would be the ideal position. But which is most important?

You said dreams, fair enough. :smile:
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
I disagree. You don't need a partner to be happy :biggrin:

Agreed.

Where does it state in the "knowledge of life" that partner = happiness?
Interesting, so your limit is death. (Which is fair enough).

But to see your perfect girl with another man - I can tell if you were in that position, you would be pretty emotional.

So let's step that up a gear:

*You are one decision away from FULLY achieving your dream. I.e. if you walk out now, you will get want you desire. The situation is this - the priest (or whatever) asks you to take your perfect girl's hand in marriage. (She hasn't said I do yet).

However, at the back, is the man who she will marry if you leave. But also at the back is the opportunity to achieve your dream to be the best biker on earth (I believe?).

So, walk out now - you will become the best biker.
Say "I do" and you'll be with her - but every hope of being the best biker (or whatever) is gone forever.

If your relationship fails and she leaves you etc, you can NEVER get your dream back. But if you walk, you'll be the best biker and that - but of course, "perfect girl" marries the guy at the back. (So no chance of getting her back).

Your perfect girl is waiting. You're getting frustrated at what to do. She says, "decide now".

What do you do?

(So this is breaking point. Instead of being a thinking question, now you will use your empathetic skills. Could you desert your emotions for this girl and become the best biker? Could you leave your dream for this girl? (No guarantee of her staying with you - who ever said she will stay with you forever?)).

I'd take biking. Flat out.

Had to really think, though.

If the risk of losing her was there, and likewise again I'd be out all the time; its a better option completely, I feel.
Original post by T-Toe
Do you have a better explanation?

I do. I am trying to do my homework right now. Will definitely get back to this thread later if my dad doesn't tell me to go to bed XD .... I just know that my post is going to be long so I think I should save it for later.

I have a lot to say. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending