Turn on thread page Beta

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner? watch

• View Poll Results: Ideal future or perfect partner?
    Ideal future
    49.38%
    Perfect partner
    50.62%

ReputationRep:
    Live for yourself, not somebody else. :cool:

(Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    In this idealistic situation you said perfect, so we would not get divorced silly. Well you're the Cambridge lover who says it's all about passion, so either you're lying or I got a place because of passion. Either way you're wrong I don't think that at all, go for it, I would just personally choose love.
    This thread is not about Cambridge.

How do you now if you get married you won't get divorce?

Who the **** marries just to divorce?

Your perfect man could EASILY change, and how would you know?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by im so academic)

Is it kinder to "kill" (metaphorical speaking) your perfect partner in order for the whole world to be better?
    How do I know that after killing my perfect partner the whole world is going to be better?

For me, right now my education is priortitised and my BF is encouraging me to do it. But when it comes to career, it's opposite. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry.C)
    How is it pseudo-biology? would you like to tell me? this is all darwin, and you can't make your claims of career success over family fit.

Certain traits make for evolutionary success, and those are the traits that will subsequently dominate the gene pool. The system only works if you are actually passing on your genes, otherewise everthing would die out. Therefore, there should be an intrinsic desire in creatures to have children.

Being social was a successful trait, so is passed on.
    Having a desire to form babby is descriptive not prescriptive.

Evolution doesn't tell you to do anything.

(Original post by DH-Biker)
    I'd take biking. Flat out.

Had to really think, though.

If the risk of losing her was there, and likewise again I'd be out all the time; its a better option completely, I feel.
    Aww.

It's guys like you that I like. Chase your dream and you may never know what girl is around the corner.

But chase the girl, will you get the "career"?

(Original post by street.lovin')
    Where does it state in the 'knowledge of life' that career = happiness?
    Imo, for SOME people family = happiness, for SOME people career = happiness.

(Original post by T-Toe)
    If you want something so badly you'll fight to achieve it. Nothing should stop you.
    Which I 100% agree with.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll ever feel the need to have a perfect partner, I'm rather introspective, I can have other good friends, I don't need to rely on this other half. In this case the other option is evidently more attractive, if not by default then by choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Having a desire to form babby is descriptive not prescriptive.

Evolution doesn't tell you to do anything.
    LOL. but then...how is babby formed? How girl get pragnent? :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    This thread is not about Cambridge.

How do you now if you get married you won't get divorce?

Who the **** marries just to divorce?

Your perfect man could EASILY change, and how would you know?
    Didn't say it was. I just was trying to prove I was passionate about my career, I would just prefer love. No one marries to get divorced? Derrrr. You know someone very well when you marry them, you will have an idea about what will happen in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'd give up my career.

(Original post by Harry.C)
    Of course its strangeto not want a family and children. I'll bring up evolution again. You're only here because huge numbers of generations have procreated, this is the nature of life. You are an evolutionary success, and surely you should have the same drive to continue?
    Er, no?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    LOL. but then...how is babby formed? How girl get pragnent? :mmm:
    They need to do way instain mother > who kill their babbys

(Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Yeah, for me - if I never find a partner then I wouldn't really mind. If I do meet someone, then yeah i'd be happy but I wouldn't really prioritise it above my career given it's nature and all.
    Precisely.

*Partner who loves me for who I am and respects my wishes = great.
    *Never meet someone who wants me etc = fair enough

(Original post by T-Toe)
    You don't have to conform to the social stigma

To put it simply, it's your life, you can do want you want and no one should judge you for it.
    Yet people do. But I'm not the type not to give a ****.

(Original post by NeonSkies)
    Who's to say life is "having a career" and "saving the world"?

Everyone has different aspirations, none of which are wrong and there is no need for you to be so judgemental.
    Are you sure I'm the one being judgemental?

My opinion: do want you want. But don't enforce your beliefs on others.

(Original post by alharrison4)
    Yes.

Love > Money
    Aspiration =/= money

So your aspiration is to make money?

No wonder you would choose love.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure I'm the one being judgemental?

My opinion: do want you want. But don't enforce your beliefs on others.
    I think this too, but you seem to be questioning everyone who thinks differently to your views, i.e. not wanting a career over a relationship.

If you want to persue a career and not have a family with a partner that is entirely your choice and I'm not going to judge, but I won't stand for people judging my choice to want a comfortable life with a partner over a high flying career.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to die alone.

ReputationRep:
    Aspiration =/= money

So your aspiration is to make money?

No wonder you would choose love.
    :indiff:

That's not what I meant.
    If the question is would I give up my career for love, the answer is yes. Because a career, even if you enjoy what you do, is ultimately a means to an end. You do it so you can support and spend time with your family and the people you love.
    Sorry if I'm missing the point :dontknow: but for me, being in a situation where I can do those things is my aspiration. So for me, the question you are asking seems a bit mutually exclusive.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.