The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Relationships are all about compromise. I've seen people give up all kinds of things for their partners and never used to really understand but I think I would probs give up a lot of stuff too for the right person :yes:
Original post by DH-Biker

Hmm. It depends.

I do know someone who's pretty much perfect, so if I had a chance to be with this person permanently, I'd stick with.

However, if not, I'd go straight for being the best DH and FR biker in the world. :wink: I already have my dream career chasing that.

Ah, you're a perfect example to ask. You have a definite and specific set of goals.

So I propose this question to you: would you give up biking (and everything about it, so you wouldn't ever go near a bike ever again) for your ABSOLUTELY perfect partner?
Original post by im so academic
Who ever said it's "cold and lonely" at the top?

OK, choose between a REALLY good career and a REALLY good relationship (to make things as fair as possible).

What would you pick?

Mmmm... This is hard, don't think I can really choose, I would like a family, but I want to be a vet too... :confused::confused::confused:
Ah, you're a perfect example to ask. You have a definite and specific set of goals.

So I propose this question to you: would you give up biking (and everything about it, so you wouldn't ever go near a bike ever again) for your ABSOLUTELY perfect partner?

The thing is though, a perfect partner would never make you give up the things you love...
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Relationships are all about compromise. I've seen people give up all kinds of things for their partners and never used to really understand but I think I would probs give up a lot of stuff too for the right person :yes:

Would you give up everything about music for your perfect partner?

In this situation, there is no compromise.

Yes, I am talking about extremes.
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Mmmm... This is hard, don't think I can really choose, I would like a family, but I want to be a vet too... :confused::confused::confused:

To make things even harder, is either:

*Family and no vet

or

*Vet and no family
Reply 26

No. Biking is my life.

It has shaped everything about me, and however perfect I think said person is, I'd take biking every time. :cool:

Edit: Good question by the way, ISA. :yep:
Original post by Smelly Ellie
The thing is though, a perfect partner would never make you give up the things you love...

Arguably the perfect career could make up the things your perfect partner would give you, or replace that.

I.e. your career was so perfect, you didn't need a relationship with a partner of your choice.
No. Biking is my life.

It has shaped everything about me, and however perfect I think said person is, I'd take biking every time. :cool:

Edit: Good question by the way, ISA. :yep:

:smile:

You can tell when someone is passionate about something if people believe in something that is more or less what you've wrote.

I.e. giving up a perfect partner for your chosen career.
Ideal partner, this shouldn't even be a choice. I feel sorry for the people posting ideal future, eventually most people realise that its generally the people in your life who make you happy, rather than any other perceived notion of success. Money won't come to your funeral.
I'll have to go with perfect partner. Although not having a dream career/lifestyle etc would be frustrating at times, I'd rather we got through it together as the perfect couple then me having a great job I'd always wanted..but not feel I'd met "the one" and felt something was missing in that regard.
Honestly, I'm quite selfish, I'm after a good, comfortable life that I have created for myself through hardwork at school and in the workplace. I believe that you must be the driver in your life, you must go after your goals and ambitions and be successful. A perfect partner should just come with it, at the end of the day, your success and achievements arent going to walk out on you one day when they get bored or cheat on you. Personal achievements in life are more valuable than a "perfect partner".
Ideal future by a mile. What I plan to do is just way too large and global to give it up for another person.
Reply 33
I clicked the wrong button on the poll. :frown:
I'd go perfect partner.
I'm going to have both and there's nothing you can do about it 'im so academic' :smug:.
To make things even harder, is either:

*Family and no vet

or

*Vet and no family

Oh right, family and no vet. :biggrin: Tricky decision though, but I think love is the most important thing to me, if I wasn't loved I would feel empty and unfulfilled, despite the amazing job, I would still be going home to an empty house.
Reply 36
Career. Nothing means more to me that becoming a doctor. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.
Original post by gradjobplease
Ideal partner, this shouldn't even be a choice. I feel sorry for the people posting ideal future, eventually most people realise that its generally the people in your life who make you happy, rather than any other perceived notion of success. Money won't come to your funeral.

It some cases like mine - we pursue our goals not for money but because we love what we do.

Whether I get paid or not, I'll continue striving towards my goals.
Original post by gradjobplease

You're jumping to conclusions.

What if someone's perfect career was dedicating their life to volunteering and helping children out in the orphanages? Can't see them doing that for the money.

And, arguably, you could also argue by taking that path in life, seeing a child having a better chance of life because of you, well, couldn't that be seen as "people in your life who make you happy" as well? Why is "people" exclusive to your partner?

Success =/= money
i'd give up my dreams any day of the week for a good lookin girl, who can make a sandwich or two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending