Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Ideal future or perfect partner?
    Ideal future
    49.38%
    Perfect partner
    50.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    I wouldn't want to be with someone who wanted to hold me back.
    That's why your sugar melts in your coffee :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Actually, lol, you would be surprised how many kids/teenagers I've spoken to that have NO ambition at all.

Or they have a "goal", but they're not passionate/bothered about it.

Sad, sad world.

You are given an opportunity to do anything you want, and people don't use it.
    haha too true. ask 10 random uni students on non-vocational courses (not law, engineering, nursing, medicine etc - the general open ended ones like BA Business or History or Politics or Media Art) what they want to do when they are finished, and 90% will respond - i dunno i havent really though about it. i'll see where it goes. then if they get lucky they work in an office. if they dont, they work in a shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    haha too true. ask 10 random uni students on non-vocational courses (not law, engineering, nursing, medicine etc - the general open ended ones like BA Business or History or Politics or Media Art) what they want to do when they are finished, and 90% will respond - i dunno i havent really though about it. i'll see where it goes. then if they get lucky they work in an office. if they dont, they work in a shop.
    Finally I can agree one something with you

(Original post by shinytoy)
    What's the point of going university to just work in an office/shop?

(I believe university is for the pursuit of an education, not as a means to a job).

ReputationRep:
    What's the point of going university to just work in an office/shop?

(I believe university is for the pursuit of an education, not as a means to a job).
    University makes people more employable, which, at the end of the day, is why the majority of people go. Of course university is a means to a job.

(Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    University makes people more employable, which, at the end of the day, is why the majority of people go. Of course university is a means to a job.
    It shouldn't be, primarily speaking.

Anyways, we're going off-topic, so no more discussion on that.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be, primarily speaking.

Anyways, we're going off-topic, so no more discussion on that.
    Why shouldn't it be? And this is entirely on-topic (future aspirations)...

Why shouldn't it be? And this is entirely on-topic (future aspirations)...
    Were universities set up to make people get jobs? No, they were institutes of learning. Now it is not the case for the majority of universities. Which is depressing.

ReputationRep:
    Were universities set up to make people get jobs? No, they were institutes of learning. Now it is not the case for the majority of universities. Which is depressing.
    But the use of institutes of learning is to teach people skills... e.g research, teaching, medicine... which make people better at certain jobs!

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Hell no. Not in a million years.

But the use of institutes of learning is to teach people skills... e.g research, teaching, medicine... which make people better at certain jobs!
    Education first, "jobs" second.

ReputationRep:
    Hypothetically, what if you couldn't?
    Well, it's close to not being hypothetical: if I don't join the Army by a certain age, I won't ever be able to join.

So, say that I had to decide in the next week either to break up with her or never have my dream career.
    It would be a horrible week, to be honest... I'd talk to my friends, talk to my Dad (who wen't through a similar decision at my age, now that I think about it), and finally, talk to my girlfriend.

I think I'd choose her... but I probably wouldn't choose anyone else over my career.

Think if they're really worth it... it's an important question to make yourself

Edit: Why neg rep?

ReputationRep:
    Education first, "jobs" second.
    But there is no point going to uni with absolutely no clue what you'll get out of it employment-wise. That's the reason so many graduates are unemployed!

(Obviously there is a shortage of jobs, I understand that, but if people do useful/good degrees, they'll get a job)

(Original post by C_B_C)
    Well, it's close to not being hypothetical: if I don't join the Army by a certain age, I won't ever be able to join.

So, say that I had to decide in the next week either to break up with her or never have my dream career.
    It would be a horrible week, to be honest... I'd talk to my friends, talk to my Dad (who wen't through a similar decision at my age, now that I think about it), and finally, talk to my girlfriend.

I think I'd choose her... but I probably wouldn't choose anyone else over my career.

Think if they're really worth it... it's an important question to make yourself
    Interestingly, what if you went with her, stayed with her, passed over the age requirement, and regretted your decision?

Worst feeling in the world, right?

I mean, technically you could always find another "perfect girl", but a second shot at your own ambitions and your own dreams?

But there is no point going to uni with absolutely no clue what you'll get out of it employment-wise. That's the reason so many graduates are unemployed!
    Bull****. Rather people do "doss" degrees THINKING it will get them into a certain sector of work, realised it doesn't, and then they end up on the dole.

There is nothing wrong with studying for the sake of learning.

(Obviously there is a shortage of jobs, I understand that, but if people do useful/good degrees, they'll get a job)
    Some don't do useful/good degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Bull****. Rather people do "doss" degrees THINKING it will get them into a certain sector of work, realised it doesn't, and then they end up on the dole.

There is nothing wrong with studying for the sake of learning.

Some don't do useful/good degrees.
    There is if you're getting yourself into mounds of debt for a bit of fun with no way of ever paying it back.

Exactly.

There is if you're getting yourself into mounds of debt for a bit of fun with no way of ever paying it back.

Exactly.
    Same could be said for those who go to university for the "party" experience. Yet people still go. And therefore get into debt.

ReputationRep:
    Same could be said for those who go to university for the "party" experience. Yet people still go. And therefore get into debt.
    Yup you're proving my point. Go to uni to get a good job.

ReputationRep:
    id choose perfect partner

Yup you're proving my point. Go to uni to get a good job.
    No, go to university to learn.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.