Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Ideal future or perfect partner?
    Ideal future
    49.38%
    Perfect partner
    50.62%

ReputationRep:
    Ideal future. Women just let me down time after time..*sigh*

(Original post by Psyk)
    I'd be screwed either way. Whichever I picked I'd regret it.
    Interestingly, you're pretty much the first person to make that judgement.

Surely whatever you pick, you would always think "what if?" with regards to the other option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Interestingly, you're pretty much the first person to make that judgement.

Surely whatever you pick, you would always think "what if?" with regards to the other option?
    Yep. I actually did make a decision along these lines. Not quite as extreme, but it did come down to effectively picking between a relationship or my career. Picking the career was the more sensible option (hadn't been in the relationship very long), but I wonder how things would have turned out if I picked the other option.

ReputationRep:
    I would never give up my dreams and future plans for anyone.
    I don't have many dreams and plans but it's what I want to do in life and no one can change those choices.
    However if it came down to career then I could easily change that. I don't really have a dream career that I want to go into. I'm at uni at the moment and I work hard to achieve the grades I want but thats for now, I don't have career plans.
    However I do have travelling plans and plans of where I want to live etcccc.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a part time job as a potwash and there was a full time potwasher who was like 30, dislikes his job, wishes he'd treid harder in school but has just got married to his long term partner. Now the owner on the otherhand has pretty much the perfect life, nice car, posh house, a head chef who makes his meals before service and a pretty impressive wine collection in the cellar.
    The owner is the grumpy one and the full time pot washer is the one who most of the time has a smile on his face and generally seems happier.

i'd definately go for the perfect partner.

(Original post by BabyfacedDom)
    I used to have a part time job as a potwash and there was a full time potwasher who was like 30, dislikes his job, wishes he'd treid harder in school but has just got married to his long term partner. Now the owner on the otherhand has pretty much the perfect life, nice car, posh house, a head chef who makes his meals before service and a pretty impressive wine collection in the cellar.
    The owner is the grumpy one and the full time pot washer is the one who most of the time has a smile on his face and generally seems happier.

i'd definately go for the perfect partner.
    So you think happiness is the be all and end all then?

What if a partner doesn't provide you that happiness you're looking for?

ReputationRep:
    So you think happiness is the be all and end all then?

What if a partner doesn't provide you that happiness you're looking for?
    then she wouldn't be the perfect partner.

If it's a choice between

a) dead end 20k a year job, with the perfect partner + family
    or
    b) 50k+ a year but no one to share it with

i'd go 'a' everytime.

(Original post by BabyfacedDom)
    then she wouldn't be the perfect partner.

If it's a choice between

a) dead end 20k a year job, with the perfect partner + family
    or
    b) 50k+ a year but no one to share it with

i'd go 'a' everytime.
    So your ambition in life is to make money?

I asked this question presuming people have "dreamed big" and aspire to do something, as opposed to something typical.

ReputationRep:
    I do not watch House.
    Fail.

ReputationRep:
    obviously this is very dependent on what your dream career is, if you even have one.
    You could pursue your dream career and then find your perfect partner however it is less likely that if you find your perfect partner first you would then pursue your dream career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacke02)
    I already have my dream partner

so both **** you
    What about ideal future?

ReputationRep:
    Perfect partner is part of ideal future.

Stupid question, stupid thread.

(Original post by undermyskin)
    obviously this is very dependent on what your dream career is, if you even have one.
    You could pursue your dream career and then find your perfect partner however it is less likely that if you find your perfect partner first you would then pursue your dream career.
    True. There's little escape from the "marriage-kids routine".

(Original post by Planto)
    Perfect partner is part of ideal future.

Stupid question, stupid thread.
    Well not for me. Especially since you cannot ensure you will find your perfect partner.

ReputationRep:
    Well not for me. Especially since you cannot ensure you will find your perfect partner.
    Your ideal partner(s) probably died 700 years ago

ReputationRep:
    What the hell are you talking about? You can't ensure you will find any of your "ideal future"; you were posing a hypothetical question. If, in your ideal future, you don't have your perfect partner, then it is - by definition - not ideal. Hence, the question is "would you rather have your ideal future, or just part of your ideal future?"

(Original post by Hoom)
    Your ideal partner(s) probably died 700 years ago
    And what has this got to do with anything?

(Original post by Planto)
    What the hell are you talking about? You can't ensure you will find any of your "ideal future"; you were posing a hypothetical question. If, in your ideal future, you don't have your perfect partner, then it is - by definition - not ideal. Hence, the question is "would you rather have your ideal future, or just part of your ideal future?"
    I have more control of my ideal future than my ideal partner. In fact, if I fail to achieve the ideal partner, there was nothing I could do to stop it. If I fail to achieve my ideal future, it's because of reasons relating with me.

Actually, in my ideal future, I don't need an ideal partner. My ideal future will happen, irrespective if I find the perfect man.

I'm not the type to revolve my little life around some guy.

ReputationRep:
    Perfect career. Others won't get in my way.

ReputationRep:
    Perfect career = a lot of sex what else do you need?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.