Turn on thread page Beta

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Ideal future or perfect partner?
    Ideal future
    49.38%
    Perfect partner
    50.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    That sounds ambitious.

"Any career will do".
    In this fantasy land where I have found my ideal partner, I will probably be so happy that I wont care what career I had.

Life doesn't work like that though. There are no 'perfect people' so I will just concentrate on my career etc. Girls will come second.

(Original post by Lewroll)
    In this fantasy land where I have found my ideal partner, I will probably be so happy that I wont care what career I had.

Life doesn't work like that though. There are no 'perfect people' so I will just concentrate on my career etc. Girls will come second.
    So, realistically, you would choose the career option, right?

ReputationRep:
    I'd choose career anyday...I'd rather be single and successful than in love and potentially homeless....unless said perfect partner is very very rich....
    No...still choosing the career.

ReputationRep:
    So, realistically, you would choose the career option, right?
    This situation will never arise, so I wouldn't know unless i actually had to choose. I can't see the point in having an excellent career, and being successful/rich and not having anyone to share it with.

ReputationRep:
    Then why would you make such a decision?

What compels you to make such a regretful decision?
    Love, or obsession or whatever makes one do things that don't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    All I really want in life is a decent job and house and kids, if my 'ideal' partner is going to dump me for not becoming a miserable childless bum, sharing a makeshift box on the street made from Big Issues we failed to flog... well **** him!!!

ReputationRep:
    If they are perfect then you shouldn't have to.

(Original post by Lewroll)
    This situation will never arise, so I wouldn't know unless i actually had to choose. I can't see the point in having an excellent career, and being successful/rich and not having anyone to share it with.
    What do people mean when they say this?

(Original post by hmon93)
    Love, or obsession or whatever makes one do things that don't make sense.
    Unlike you, I wouldn't make such a rash decision like that. I would think it through and look at the consequences of such an action.

(Original post by Botticello)
    If they are perfect then you shouldn't have to.
    That's not what I meant. Course they wouldn't - but would you?

ReputationRep:
    What do people mean when they say this?
    Imagine you are nearing the top of your career. You have plenty of money, you are successful, well liked etc. Every night you get in your nice car and drive home to an empty house. Then you watch tv (alone) eat dinner (alone) and go to bed (alone). Then you wake up and do the whole thing again. Thats the scenario when you are successful but alone, seems a bit lonely to me.

Imagine you have an average job. Average pay, average prospects, average car. But every day you go home to a wonderful partner (and kids if you want). Sure, work may be crap, but your home life makes up for it. This seems more appealing to me.

Obviously no ones life will be exactly like these scenarios, a balance between the two would be preferable.

If you spend your whole life concentrating on your career, what are you going to do when you retire? No partner, no kids. Just a rich old person sitting alone in their mansion.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I meant. Course they wouldn't - but would you?
    If it was something beyond their control like unforseen circumstances then maybe. I'd try and help them and try to find the next best future for myself.

I love the Cambridge picture by the way :moon: My cousin went there if you needed tips on getting a place.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, never.
    No guy get's in the way of what i want to do.

(Original post by AshleyT)
    Nope, never.
    No guy get's in the way of what i want to do.
    Great.

ReputationRep:
    But surely if you die, it's irrelevant whether "love lasts beyond death" as you're freakin' dead?!
    Love never dies (true love that is). You may die, but it goes with you since it is inside you. Same can't be said about money. Thing is, most people these days think it is love after 5 minutes, when it is actually lust. Surely something that stays with you forever is more important than something you can only have when you're alive?

(Original post by MostCompetitive)
    Love never dies (true love that is). You may die, but it goes with you since it is inside you. Same can't be said about money. Thing is, most people these days think it is love after 5 minutes, when it is actually lust. Surely something that stays with you forever is more important than something you can only have when you're alive?
    What the hell are you on about?

Who cares if it stays with you forever or not? You're freakin' dead.

ReputationRep:
    depends since none of us actually know our perfect partner/have not developed feelings and emotions that i guess would be extremely strong of love etc. So most people are gonna say career cos its a hypothetical question but if they were to actually have to make the decision im pretty sure most would have a very hard time leaving their "perfect partner" to become a engineer or salesman or whatever and live a lonely life. Then again there are around 3 billion possible other partners but i think you mean if you choose career then you will never meet another "perfect" partner or nearly perfect partner

If we're talking about perfection (in so far as can/does possibly exist), it has to be partner - for entirely rational reasons.

For example, the perfect partner would have so much money and time that they could allow you to fulfill your dreams. You wouldn't care about not having a job cause you could be touring the world, hot air ballooning or something lol. And they'd be perfectly understanding and supportive about you sponging off them, because they'd be perfect.

Basically, a perfect partner could challenge and interest me providing all of the things a career could (surgery workshops, tours of the world, you name it they can do it). But no career exists that could give me sexual pleasure (okay, as much as the perfect partner at least), love or children!

Aside from the rationale above, if we're just talking in general terms about which is more valuable, I think love and family is generally of greater importance to me, for my happiness. I would be more unhappy and feel more unfulfilled without love/partner/children than without a job (although I also really really want a career and don't underestimate its importance to my happiness).

(Original post by dadude)
    depends since none of us actually know our perfect partner/have not developed feelings and emotions that i guess would be extremely strong of love etc. So most people are gonna say career cos its a hypothetical question but if they were to actually have to make the decision im pretty sure most would have a very hard time leaving their "perfect partner" to become a engineer or salesman or whatever and live a lonely life. Then again there are around 3 billion possible other partners but i think you mean if you choose career then you will never meet another "perfect" partner or nearly perfect partner
    Why do you assume that career = being lonely?

ReputationRep:

*Perfect partner + ****/no career
    *Perfect career + ****/no partner [/b]

Also, no exploiting any loopholes.

Thanks. Interested in your opinions.
    I know you said no exploiting any loopholes, but I just can't help it.

The perfect partner can provide for you everything you might get out of a career (interest, purpose, development, money, fulfillment) etc. They would enable you to pursue anything you wanted, because they'd be perfect (loaded, supercool, perfectly suited to you, and they wouldn't even make you feel bad about relying on them).

But the perfect career still can't give you love, sex, children, grandchildren, a future.

So the choice is obvious.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.