Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner? watch

• View Poll Results: Ideal future or perfect partner?
    Ideal future
    49.38%
    Perfect partner
    50.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I'm personal just sick of people telling me that my choice is wrong because:

*I'm too young
    *I have no experience
    *I have a different opinion

No one's choice is wrong, no matter how old or inexperienced they are.

(Original post by Emmie3303)
    No one's choice is wrong, no matter how old or inexperienced they are.
    Yet I've had that argued against me in real life and on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Wait, are you sure about that?

What if your perfect partner dies the next day? (Could happen).
    But this is my fantasy!

What if I get fired from my dream job?

(Original post by Salazar)
    But this is my fantasy!

What if I get fired from my dream job?
    People don't get fired for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

My aunt had to become a full-time carer after my uncle got diagnosed with MS. I hope that I'd be able to show that kind of devotion.

ReputationRep:
    People don't get fired for no reason.
    Is this a thinly veiled attack questioning my workplace competence?

OH YOU

(Original post by Muffinz)
    Yes.

My aunt had to become a full-time carer after my uncle got diagnosed with MS. I hope that I'd be able to show that kind of devotion.
    On the other hand, I wouldn't want to spend my whole life being a full-time carer.

(Original post by Kiirk)
    Unpredictable natural disaster wipes out the company.
    Oh please.

It's more likely for your perfect partner to die "early".

ReputationRep:
    On the other hand, I wouldn't want to spend my whole life being a full-time carer.
    Sometimes things don't go the way you want them to. I'd rather care for someone who makes me endlessly happy, as the perfect partner would, than leave them to rot in a hospital ward somewhere because I walked out.

(Original post by Salazar)
    Is this a thinly veiled attack questioning my workplace competence?

OH YOU
    Rather you subtly admitting that you're too incompetent to be able to stay in your dream job.

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Because I'd rather have a large amount of wealth then have a ideal partner, Money is a strong cologne anyway.

Sometimes things don't go the way you want them to. I'd rather care for someone who makes me endlessly happy, as the perfect partner would, than leave them to rot in a hospital ward somewhere because I walked out.
    I'd rather avoid that situation by focusing on my career.

ReputationRep:
    I would want to give up everything in this world for that person.

ReputationRep:
    I would choose perfect partner solely because I cannot pursue my intended career path, study the subject I want, achieve the dreams I have anyways... So I think I would rather have some good in my life..

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather avoid that situation by focusing on my career.
    I'd rather not work a 9-5, come home to an empty house and watch tv until I sleep and wake up to the next inevitable day of paperwork-filled monotony.

(Original post by Kiirk)
    On a thread where you get the choice between your perfect partner or your perfect career? Pfft
    So by that reasoning, one would never get fired from their dream job.

I'd rather not work a 9-5, come home to an empty house and watch tv until I sleep and wake up to the next inevitable day of paperwork-filled monotony.
    So your dream career is "working 9-5" and doing "papework-filled monotony"?

You're hardly ambitious, are you?

ReputationRep:
    So your dream career is "working 9-5" and doing "papework-filled monotony"?

You're hardly ambitious, are you?
    I want enough money to live comfortably. That's the extent of my aspirations now because I'm simply too young to know what I want to do as a career. I do, however, know that I want to have the most wonderful person with me.

I'm a realist. Work is never fun. Playing videogames with your boyfriend is fun. You only get one life, and it's very fleeting. I'd rather spend it playing games with the boyf.

I want enough money to live comfortably. That's the extent of my aspirations now because I'm simply too young to know what I want to do as a career. I do, however, know that I want to have the most wonderful person with me.

I'm a realist. Work is never fun. Playing videogames with your boyfriend is fun. You only get one life, and it's very fleeting. I'd rather spend it playing games with the boyf.
    I'm younger than you, and I know my aspirations. Don't blame your age, hun.

"Work is never fun"? In your opinion. If you want a job that's boring, of course it will "never [be] fun".

Yeah, we only get one life. If I want to spend that life working, who are you to tell me it's fleeting or not?

I'd consider a life playing games with the boyfriend (euphemism?) very "fleeting".

ReputationRep:
    My future, with money and success I would be able to buy all sorts of awesome things...like...love.

If I can't buy love, who cares; expensive Russian hookers still do it for me anyday.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.