Turn on thread page Beta

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner? watch

• View Poll Results: Ideal future or perfect partner?
    Ideal future
    49.38%
    Perfect partner
    50.62%

ReputationRep:
    deffo someone to come home to who you know is the 'one'. rather than having an amazing job but coming home to nothing, i like being independent but you need someone to share your live with, have happy memories and just someone to talk to about everything and anything. & we all have them need an hug moment, so feels even better off someone very special

ReputationRep:
    you mean the perfect partner, he absolute partner? the one you've been waiting for all your life?

of course. the perfect partner over ideal future any day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    So, to clarify, you would give up everything you ever dreamed of pursuing in the future for your perfect girl, right?
    Going to sound totally thick here but what exactly is "everything" in the context of this question? Obviously I've already said giving up a dream job and lifestyle(basically quite a bit of disposable income, nice holidays abroad etc) would be ok as I'd feel I'd rather be with someone I loved absolutely then material things.

I mean are you asking for every single positive aspect of my life to be removed? For example I keep exotic pets (tarantulas, lizards etc), are you saying I have to get rid of them becase they're a hobby/pets I enjoy keeping? I like macro photography, so would I have to not take part in that too?

ReputationRep:
    My ideal future is with a perfect partner, so yes I would give that up for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)

You can tell when someone is passionate about something if people believe in something that is more or less what you've wrote.

I.e. giving up a perfect partner for your chosen career.
    Thank you.

Its nice to have something to be that passionate about, I think. I've found it gives immense amounts of focus and will-power to achieve top position within that field.

Plus, its a joy to have a direct objective in life.

ReputationRep:
    My dream of becoming a physicist is absolute!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Partners come and go. Kids are for life. You don't necessarily have to have kids with the perfect partner or even a partner at all for that matter.
    I would want a stable and loving home to bring any kids into, otherwise I wouldn't have them. Call me old fashioned, but when you marry someone it is for life, and because you love them. (Fair enough if things go wrong, but I mean when you say 'I do' to all them promises you should mean it)

ReputationRep:
    Nearly did this. Very glad I saw sense, left him, and now i'm off to uni

EDIT: If he was absolutely perfect, then yes I'd give up my dreams for him.
    Asda checkout staff, here I come!!

ReputationRep:
    Why are people assuming Dreams/Aspirations = Money? That certainly isn't the case with my goals in life.

Anyway, I would rather choose to achieve my dreams before anything else.

ReputationRep:
    Your poll options are a bit misleading. My ideal future would include a perfect partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    I would want a stable and loving home to bring any kids into, otherwise I wouldn't have them. Call me old fashioned, but when you marry someone it is for life, and because you love them. (Fair enough if things go wrong, but I mean when you say 'I do' to all them promises you should mean it)
    Stable home with no/**** career? Each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    In the words of Jay-Z: "F*** N****'s, *****es too. All I got is this money, this'll do.

But not in all fairness I'd want a mix of both - good career nice wife. It's definitely possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Stable home with no/**** career? Each to their own.
    As opposed to good job with no family? Yup, easy decision, any day

ReputationRep:
    No way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumdedoobie)
    Your poll options are a bit misleading. My ideal future would include a perfect partner.

This.... a perfect partner would never require me to give up my career or future.

(Original post by gradjobplease)
    But you'd give up your perfect partner for it? I can assure you that, thus far, any of my achievements pale compare JUST to my friendship group. There's no way I'd give up a perfect partner, even for something as virtuous as your goal. What's the point if you have no one to share it with?
    Share it with someone or people who are not your partner?

ReputationRep:
    My ideal future would include my soulmate/perfect partner, so I see the question as void.

ReputationRep:
    OP, your question fails cause you are posing the question to humans and not machines! so emotions definitley come into this!

ReputationRep:
    Oh this is straightforward for me: my dream is to find my perfect partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    As opposed to good job with no family? Yup, easy decision, any day
    A man shouldn't be the sole reason for inner happiness. If so, I'm worried for you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.