Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner? watch

• View Poll Results: Ideal future or perfect partner?
    Ideal future
    49.38%
    Perfect partner
    50.62%

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with the partner, no doubt.

(Original post by T-Toe)
    Who says it will?

Besides, won't children fill that void of loneliness?
    No, and expecting your kids to 'fill that void of loneliness' is unfair on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Having children is NEVER a guarantee of "filling that void of loneliness".
    Yeah of course but it's certainly self-fulling, and fulfillment = happiness.

ReputationRep:
    **** relationships, seriously. **** it all, I hope I'm a miserable old man when I'm older,theres nothing more I love than being isolated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsCrackFox)
    Definitely the perfect partner. It would definitely bring more long term happiness.
    The satisfaction you get from the perfect career is only limited.
    Not for me. It's never ending.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Not just my career but my ideal dreams and future will indeed bring me happiness.

Like someone said successful relationships and partnerships of any kind are when each party is completely whole themselves. They can do fine without the other person, and they don't 'complete them.

By giving up everything for your ideal person, you're taking away your own happiness, thus reducing it.
    As I said before, a perfect person would never make you give up your career, it's a made up thread. But what if I was blissfully happy with that person?

(Original post by DH-Biker)
    Thank you.

Its nice to have something to be that passionate about, I think. I've found it gives immense amounts of focus and will-power to achieve top position within that field.

Plus, its a joy to have a direct objective in life.
    OK, I have an ultimate question for you to challenge you:

*You haven't exactly achieved your perfect future, but you're on course for it. (And in my time machine, you will achieve it, providing you answer yes to this next question). Then you meet your perfect partner, and metaphorically speaking, she would have to die in order for you to pursue your dream. Would you let her "die" to achieve your dream? (Interpret the word "die" in whatever way you want. I.e. in literally terms, or see her on the arms of another man).

ReputationRep:
    When you retire, what would you have then if you poured your entire life into your job?

(Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    I would want a stable and loving home to bring any kids into, otherwise I wouldn't have them. Call me old fashioned, but when you marry someone it is for life, and because you love them. (Fair enough if things go wrong, but I mean when you say 'I do' to all them promises you should mean it)
    What happens if your husband leaves you?

(Don't give me "no he won't". How do you know?)

ReputationRep:
    Why have an 'ideal' future when you and your perfect partner can have the best happy future together...

ReputationRep:
    What happens if your husband leaves you?

(Don't give me "no he won't". How do you know?)
    Then he wouldn't be the perfect partner obviously he'd be a prick!

ReputationRep:
    OK, I have an ultimate question for you to challenge you:

*You haven't exactly achieved your perfect future, but you're on course for it. (And in my time machine, you will achieve it, providing you answer yes to this next question). Then you meet your perfect partner, and metaphorically speaking, she would have to die in order for you to pursue your dream. Would you let her "die" to achieve your dream? (Interpret the word "die" in whatever way you want. I.e. in literally terms, or see her on the arms of another man).
    Can this question apply to me too?

Yes, I will willingly go forward with my dreams.

(Original post by Dumdedoobie)
    Your poll options are a bit misleading. My ideal future would include a perfect partner.
    Sorry, they are two distinct options.

I.e. ideal future without perfect partner, or perfect partner without ideal future.

Because surely that's what everyone wants really?

So, no, they are not misleading. You're just exploiting the loopholes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    Can this question apply to me too?

Yes, I will willingly go forward with my dreams.

That's evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! You'd let someone die for a perfect job (someone you loved!) :confused::confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ I don't know.

I think I'd have to go with ideal dreams. I'm quite an independent person anyway, and at the same time if I'm not doing well (relative to myself) I feel really bad about myself, so I guess dreams are more important than partners to me.

You don't ask easy questions .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse)
    I'd go with the partner, no doubt.

No, and expecting your kids to 'fill that void of loneliness' is unfair on them.
    It's not an expectation per see, it's self fulfillment and fulfillment = happiness.

ReputationRep:
    guaranteed 90% of the guys vote for Ideal future, and 90% of the girls vote for Perfect partner

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner
    No, I will under no circumstances quit my future career for the perfect partner. I want need lots of money so I can have a great lifestyle and provide for my future children.

My ideal future is perfect job, children and huge amount of assets (from shares to property) worth a lot of money plus my own business :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smelly Ellie)
    That's evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! You'd let someone die for a perfect job (someone you loved!) :confused::confused::confused:
    She said I can interpret "die" in any way.. and believe you me, saving a potential 6.5 billion people is worth the death of one individual.

ReputationRep:
    Very few have ever written a song about their job.

ReputationRep:
    Perfect partner, because I value relationships and family more than money. I see both options as being successful but I don't think I would be AS happy with a perfect career.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.