Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think would happen if war was declared in Britain? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anony mouse)
    Oi, now why would we declare war on Britain?
    For the lulz?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delaney)
    By who? We have an arsenal of nuclear weapons.
    So do the Iranians, Russians, N. Koreans, Americans, French (dunn dunn dunn!!) and Chinese to name a few. Plus, our weapons are short range tactical. Granted, we probably have enough firepower to erase a few million people from human history, but not enough to flatten an entire country.

Russia -we're dead.

Iranians/Koreans -pushovers.

French- will probably surrender and apologise profusely and shamelessly the first
    instant we show any sign of retaliation.

America -we're dead. On the other hand, they seem to love our tourist attractions here, so nuclear war with them wouldn't happen. Instead, they'd probably launch a ground invasion. Then we just sit back and watch them shoot at their own soldiers.

China would probably opt for the death quake strategy, where every Chinese citizen of service age (7-70) is required to jump up and down on the spot in unison with the rest of the country in order to send a huge Earthquake through the Earth directed at our cities. Our only hope would be to forge an alliance with the Indians and ask them to orchestrate a counter-quake at the same moment. With all of the Chinese and Indians jumping up and down, the Earthquake waves would cancel each other out and western civilisation would be spared.
    Alternatively, the Chinese would "re-brand" the moon as a death star and become our overlords.

ReputationRep:
    Depends.I have quite a lot of info on Britain (I read the Guardian) so I may sell my expertise to the enemy and live under their protection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    So do the Iranians, Russians, N. Koreans, Americans, French (dunn dunn dunn!!) and Chinese to name a few. Plus, our weapons are short range tactical. Granted, we probably have enough firepower to erase a few million people from human history, but not enough to flatten an entire country.

Russia -we're dead.

French- will probably surrender and apologise profusely and shamelessly the first

America -we're dead. On the other hand, they seem to love our tourist attractions here, so nuclear war with them wouldn't happen. Instead, they'd probably launch a ground invasion. Then we just sit back and watch them shoot at their own soldiers.

China would probably opt for the death quake strategy, where every Chinese citizen of service age (7-70) is required to jump up and down on the spot in unison with the rest of the country in order to send a huge Earthquake through the Earth directed at our cities. Our only hope would be to forge an alliance with the Indians and ask them to orchestrate a counter-quake at the same moment. With all of the Chinese and Indians jumping up and down, the Earthquake waves would cancel each other out and western civilisation would be spared.
    Alternatively, the Chinese would "re-brand" the moon as a death star and become our overlords.

Best comment so far! Genius!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boom.Squish)
    Okay, this is completely hypothetical obviously. I'm writing something about this and would just like to know what people's views are.

How do you think people would react? Panic or carry on as normal? What measures would the government take to prevent riots etc. ? Would there be a mass exodus out of the cities? Would there be an attempt at evacuation?

What else do you think would happen?
    (Apart from being wiped out by a nuclear bomb.)
    You really need to get laid. Has this kept you awake at night or are you trying for the most dull thread of the year award ?

ReputationRep:
    Unlike the two world wars, we are on pretty friendly terms with all our neighbours in Europe and across the North Atlantic, so the British home islands themselves are unlikely to be threatened except by nuclear weapons. Assuming both sides are sensible enough to realise that a nuclear war would lead to the end of civilization, most civilians wouldn't notice much change to everyday life.

If the war does go nuclear, however, then we're screwed. Just one ICBM on London would wipe out more than a tenth of our population, along with all major government buildings and a third of the economy. And any enemy willing to go that far is likely to have many more - Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow would soon follow. If those four cities are lost then the country would be fatally weakened for generations, despite the fact that by retaliating we could cause equal damage to the other country.

ReputationRep:
    Panic buying in the shops for food and other goods people feel are essential, queues for petrol, hoarding.

ReputationRep:
    depends who we declare war on... we were at war with iraq and it made no real difference

ReputationRep:
    any war between fairly developed countries will usually involve nuclear weapons and will be the same as the cold war so people would be a bit worried but reassured by MAD (which doesn't sound very reassuring)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)

Russia -we're dead.

Firstly, I liked your comments on the Chinese :P

Secondly, the Iranians don't have nuclear weapons (yet). If they did they would be boasting about them.

Thirdly, Britain has a lot of firepower in our 4 Trident Submarines. Capable of complete stealth and able to deliver a tonne of nuclear warheads to any given city at any time.

The Koreans don't have enough range to fire on us anyway.

If Russia fought us the whole of NATO would come down upon them like Chuck Norris on Justin Bieber.

And finally there is far too much cooperation between Britain and France for there to be a war with them.

ReputationRep:
    a massive spike in the amount of shotgun and rifle licence applications!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tenbinza)
    Firstly, I liked your comments on the Chinese :P

Secondly, the Iranians don't have nuclear weapons (yet). If they did they would be boasting about them.

Thirdly, Britain has a lot of firepower in our 4 Trident Submarines. Capable of complete stealth and able to deliver a tonne of nuclear warheads to any given city at any time.

The Koreans don't have enough range to fire on us anyway.

If Russia fought us the whole of NATO would come down upon them like Chuck Norris on Justin Bieber.

And finally there is far too much cooperation between Britain and France for there to be a war with them.
    I don't know. Maybe the man wants you to think the Iranians aren't nuclear capable. Or maybe I'm wrong

Aren't the subs more of a tactical thing? Instead of just flooding the offending country with mahoosive long-range death tubes, we sneak up on them and destroy specific targets? Whereas Russia or America could turn most places into giant craters, aren't we only capable of smaller, but more precisely aimed craters?

And just look at the track record we have with the French. It's only a matter of time I tell you!

ReputationRep:
    Protests.

ReputationRep:
    Go to my hideout in the Bat Cave.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N.A.T.O)
    You really need to get laid. Has this kept you awake at night or are you trying for the most dull thread of the year award ?
    :rolleyes:

I'm writing a novel and wanted some alternative views on this.

ReputationRep:
    Well I know that if Nick Clegg promises to end the war and signs a peace treaty with the country that was waging war on us then I know that that peace treaty won't last...

...because Nick Clegg signed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Panic buying in the shops for food and other goods people feel are essential, queues for petrol, hoarding.
    Queues - lol.

ReputationRep:
    Have a cup of tea.

ReputationRep:
    the first shot has already been fired

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.