Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think would happen if war was declared in Britain? watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Boom.Squish)
    Okay, this is completely hypothetical obviously. I'm writing something about this and would just like to know what people's views are.

How do you think people would react? Panic or carry on as normal? What measures would the government take to prevent riots etc. ? Would there be a mass exodus out of the cities? Would there be an attempt at evacuation?

What else do you think would happen?
    (Apart from being wiped out by a nuclear bomb.)
    Who is going to dare declare war on us? No one is that stupid. To declare war on us is to declare it on the EU US and our other allies
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    The question is far to open to answer. To many variables ect.
    For example, Argentina technically declared war on the UK during the Falklands. Yet it was a world away to effect our normal day to day life.

It depends on who declared war on us. I don't think any western nation is foolish enough to do that. Eastern/middle easter nations are simply to far away.
    Its not as simple as declaring war on one country. By declaring war on the UK, you will no doubt have to deal with every NATO nation.
    The falklands wasn't technically a war as neither country declared war.
    But your point still stands - Argentina invaded UK soil with the intention of capturing and taking control of it. It was so far away, so small and so obscure that nobody on the mainland cared.

ReputationRep:
    If China armed all one billion of its citizens and then marched half of them up through Kazakhstan and Russia and half through Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, through Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Morocco and then on boats up to Spain in a pincer movement to surround Europe. Then there's probably not a lot we could do.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by noobynoo)
    If China armed all one billion of its citizens and then marched half of them up through Kazakhstan and Russia and half through Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, through Egypt, Libya, Algeria, Morocco and then on boats up to Spain in a pincer movement to surround Europe. Then there's probably not a lot we could do.
    Apart from bomb the crap out of them on their way. Or build a wall. It worked for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boom.Squish)
    Okay, this is completely hypothetical obviously. I'm writing something about this and would just like to know what people's views are.

How do you think people would react? Panic or carry on as normal? What measures would the government take to prevent riots etc. ? Would there be a mass exodus out of the cities? Would there be an attempt at evacuation?

What else do you think would happen?
    (Apart from being wiped out by a nuclear bomb.)
    There was a documentary looking at the possible effects that war would have had Jack Lynch invaded the north. I think it was 1969 and he order Irish troops to the border. Maybe its uploaded on youtube.

Lets just say it wouldn't of worked out very well for the Irish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Civil war?
    International conflict?
    Armed invasion?
    Multilateral conflict?
    Total war?
    World war?

..no detail, no answer
    you missed Alien Invasion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Britain has been involved in war every year, bar one, since 1939.
    really? what was 1946?

I'm not trying to prove you wrong, I just want to know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    really? what was 1946?
    Lebanon

ReputationRep:
    There've been thousands of conflicts wince WW2.. only a handful have involved the UK :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    People on this thread don't seem to understand its hypothetical nature! I think people would be relatively calm - people rarely respond to stressful situations but running and hiding in a corner. We lived under the real threat of nuclear holocaust for years and years and life just went on. Life always goes on.

I reckon a large war is not that unlikely though, especially once oil becomes scarce. Perhaps one where britain in the (conventional) frontline would require some radical political shifts though!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Renal)
    Britain has been involved in war every year, bar one, since 1939.
    That's only if you include the 44 year cold war even when there was no fighting going on - that stat sounds a lot more shocking than it actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    That's only if you include the 44 year cold war even when there was no fighting going on - that stat sounds a lot more shocking than it actually is.
    It doesn't, it does include India, Palestine, Malaya, Korea, Suez, Kenya, Belize, Tanganyka, Rhodesia, Kuwait (first time round), Eritrea, Cyprus, Suez (again), Borneo, Vietnam, Aden, Radfan, Oman, Dhofar, Lebanon (again) Northern Ireland, Falklands, First Gulf, Bosnia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Sierra Leone, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Some of these lasted months and involved no more than a few hundred soldiers in country, others lasted decades and saw hundreds of thousands of personnel rotate through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    People on this thread don't seem to understand its hypothetical nature! I think people would be relatively calm - people rarely respond to stressful situations but running and hiding in a corner. We lived under the real threat of nuclear holocaust for years and years and life just went on. Life always goes on.

I reckon a large war is not that unlikely though, especially once oil becomes scarce. Perhaps one where britain in the (conventional) frontline would require some radical political shifts though!
    Thank you! At least someone understands the question.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.