Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittykat_17)
    hey, I have quite straight hair but with a really annoying wave, thinking about asking for GHDs for christmas, are they a good investment? does anyone know the best protector spray to use on them to get the least damage?
    GHDs are great, my sister has some and i always steal hers when im at home. with some of them, you get the GHD protector free. i like the Andrew Collinge protector spray, and the Tre Semme one is good as well.

To the thread starter - is the gaurantee on you straightners still valid, if it is, then take it back to the shop you got it from, and you should get a new pair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittykat_17)
    hey, I have quite straight hair but with a really annoying wave, thinking about asking for GHDs for christmas, are they a good investment? does anyone know the best protector spray to use on them to get the least damage?
    GHDs are amazingly good, but I'm not sure if they're as worth the money when you have quite straight hair anyway. My natural hair resembles a huge orange hedge, and each hair is like a copper wire: no other straighteners work. I think perhaps a (slightly) cheaper pair would do exactly the same thing in your case. But if you do get them, get some GHD iron oil from the website. Mmmm it's so nice. I'm gonna ask for some for Christmas cos it's a bit pricey.

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    Because what would you do without straightened hair? Not be a clone?
    :ditto: Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    So should we expect that your hair is cut in a completely original style and dyed a crazy random colour that no-one else has?

There really aren't that many decent, original options for hair.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone recomend any cheeper ceramic ones that are cheeper the GHD's?

ReputationRep:
    I think that unless your hair is super frizzy or curly youm dont really need GHD/T3s.
    Most people can probs manage with a cheapern cermaic pair such as the ones for £85 that people were talkin about earlier

ReputationRep:
    I straighten my hair because the style i have wouldn't look as it does without straightening. My hair is extremely thick and and frizzy:
    this is my hair style straight:

And this is my natural hair:
    (its old but the only one I have)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    So should we expect that your hair is cut in a completely original style and dyed a crazy random colour that no-one else has?

There really aren't that many decent, original options for hair.
    My hair is not any particular style, I have it long and partially tied back or in a plait. It is somewhat curly and sometimes a bit frizzy. On occaision I will straighten my hair to make it neater (as in maybe 4 times a year, max), but overall I don't see the need. I don't dye my hair, it has natural red highlights though.
    The trend for straightened hair is ridiculous, almost every girl does it and they all look the same. There are plenty of other things to do with your hair than damage it continually by applying too much heat to it. When people say 'They sent some new ones, thank god!', it seems pathetic and ridiculous that their life revolves around the straightness of their hair.

ReputationRep:
    GHDs i have some they are fab ive had them over about 9 months and they are fab!!

im going to buy some pink ones from brest cancer if i get my job!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    The trend for straightened hair is ridiculous, almost every girl does it and they all look the same. There are plenty of other things to do with your hair than damage it continually by applying too much heat to it. When people say 'They sent some new ones, thank god!', it seems pathetic and ridiculous that their life revolves around the straightness of their hair.
    I don't think its a case of life revolving around straighteners though, that's a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think? People are just glad they have straighteners again. Its not like they'd die without them. I don't quite see how it effects you, anyway.

Regarding the first part of your post, you could replace "straightened hair" with almost any trend going at any one time. For example:

"The trend for skinny jeans is ridiculous, almost every girl wears them and they all look the same".

"The trend for footless tights is ridiculous, almost every girl wears them and they all look the same".

Trends are ridiculous, and I agree that it is ridiculous to straighten hair just because everyone else is. But straightening hair in itself is not ridiculous, if it makes you feel better about yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I had a pair of kodo straightners two years ago and after a year i was straightneing my ahir and they blew up in my hand!!! I have never screamed so much! To be fair i don't think it was the straightners fault, i think it is due to the fact that i treated them a bit badly, i used to chuck them around!

I now have ghds and they are great! I know they are pricey but they are definately worth it! I can straigten my hair with them and curl it. My friends and i were discussing what we did before hair straightners were around!?!

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassy_j85*)
    I now have ghds and they are great! I know they are pricey but they are definately worth it! I can straigten my hair with them and curl it. My friends and i were discussing what we did before hair straightners were around!?!
    x
    Either you are being deliberately facetious, or you inadvertantly proved my point perfectly.
    Girls consider straight hair to be vital to their attractiveness nowadays. I have come across girls who said "Oh my god! There's nowhere to plug my straighteners in!!! I'm going to look so ugly!" - and then cried.
    Personally I think a pretty girl with curled or wavy hair is far more attractive than a pretty girl with poker straight hair, it makes them stand out from the straightened army.

ReputationRep:
    maybe the straighteners are faulty xxx

ReputationRep:
    I personally dont care if my hair is straight or curly. I straighten it for it to be more manageable for me.
    And for a girl to 'cry' because she cant straighten her hair is quite sad really, but thats young girls for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squibalicious)
    I personally dont care if my hair is straight or curly. I straighten it for it to be more manageable for me.
    And for a girl to 'cry' because she cant straighten her hair is quite sad really, but thats young girls for you.
    You can, then, understand my disdain for girls who continually straighten their hair.

ReputationRep:
    GHD straighteners are pricy yes but definitly well worth the investment. The amount of money I have spent on cheap pairs has probably mounted up to the £100 I paid for the GHD's. They're my essentials now, defo worth the investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    Personally I think a pretty girl with curled or wavy hair is far more attractive than a pretty girl with poker straight hair,.
    She did say that she straightens or curls it with her GHDs.

Just to be fair...

ReputationRep:
    Although GHDs are great for straightening hair I would much rather recommend the T3s. I used to own GHDs because everyone said they were great, but after only 2months of using them my hair became really dry - i could pull them out because they were so weak and I started getting a lot more split ends. I only straightened my hair with GHDs once a week and sometimes once a fortnight (I use heat protective spray before using any straighteners), but my hair was still in an awful state!

Since using the t3s my hair has maintained its healthiness and is never straw-like! The fact that t3s have a variable temp and use tourmaline makes them much better for hair in the long-term; with GHDs you HAVE to use 210degrees whenever you straighten your hair - even if your hair is only wavy and doesn't need to be straightened with such a high temp. With t3s I only have to use 180degrees to straighten my hair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Invest in some GHDs
    Or some Kodo creative straighteners, theyre really good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poica)
    You can, then, understand my disdain for girls who continually straighten their hair.
    Definately. When it comes to the point that they all want to be sheep...
    'Oh so and so has blonde hair with brown underneath so lets all have the same'
    Go into a club and there are 20 girls and at least 12 will be in black top, black trousers and blonde/brown straight hair... I mean for heavens sake.... has no-one heard of individuality??

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.