Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12767850

Some graduates could end up paying back double their original student loans under the new fees system in England, figures calculated for the BBC suggest.

Looks like more people being screwed by the government.

ReputationRep:
    In the unspoken words of Buddha

F*ck that Sh*t.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a Govt loan then.

Simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

Simples.
    You know a lot of teenagers with £27k in savings do you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-12767850

Some graduates could end up paying back double their original student loans under the new fees system in England, figures calculated for the BBC suggest.

Looks like more people being screwed by the government.
    Straight up [email protected] the government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

Simples.
    Yeah, I guess we could, say, turn to loan sharks, max out our credit cards and take out mortgages on non-existent houses. That sound like a good idea to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

Simples.
    prepare for the neg, that was a truely stupid comment :awesome:

good work!

ReputationRep:
    I watched this on the news this morning. They also said they are looking at charging for early repayments!! You might as well go ahead and get your degree on a credit card! Student loans are only going to end up the same as any other loan with this posh-tosh government.

ReputationRep:
    This is what happens when the level of debate is so pathetic. Everyone was so fixated on the fee rise but didn't realise how the interest was being changed.

Before less than 1% interest.

Now CPI plus 3% taper..

Also, does anyone know if current and ex-students use the new payback system and interest rates? Or do they keep the old interest rates and start paying back at £15000?

ReputationRep:
    It's graduate tax really in anything other than name.

(Original post by sete)
    This is what happens when the level of debate is so pathetic. Everyone was so fixated on the fee rise but didn't realise how the interest was being changed.

Before less than 1% interest.

Now CPI plus 3% taper..

Also, does anyone know if current and ex-students use the new payback system and interest rates? Or do they keep the old interest rates and start paying back at £15000?
    Current/ex students use the old payback system, not sure about the interest rates though.

ReputationRep:
    Only if they earn huge salaries, and quite right too. I might not like to admit it, but the government proposals are actually relatively progressive. The lowest earning 25% will pay back less under the new system than they would have done under the old. Due to the conditions in place, many people will never pay back the nominal amount of their loan (just as some will pay back more).

ReputationRep:
    It serves the middle class parents who voted Tory right, and the school kids who support Tory, too. It's just a shame that the good people who voted Labour will have to suffer, as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's stupid.
    But if you look at the figures another way, a LOT of graduates actually won't end up paying their whole loan back at all...
    Some people will never pay it back, cost the "government" (tax payer) money... and others will have to pay back ridiculously more than they ever borrowed.

All these posh idiots got a free education, but they believe they can rape us financially? It's not ok to give us the education, but make us financially crippled in doing so.
    Degrees should be available to everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)

Simples.
    Are you stupid?

ReputationRep:
    Meh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    It serves the middle class parents who voted Tory right, and the school kids who support Tory, too. It's just a shame that the good people who voted Labour will have to suffer, as well.

Just so I know where you are coming from, did you support New Labour when they introduced fees and then top up fees?

ReputationRep:
    This is an example of what an student who ends up in a good career will pay. Those who earn more and have bigger debt will pay substantially more. It will be almost impossible for most people to pay their debts off. Its basically a 9% tax over £21000. With a buyout clause for the super rich.

http://img291.imageshack.us/i/93137191.png/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Only if they earn huge salaries, and quite right too. I might not like to admit it, but the government proposals are actually relatively progressive. The lowest earning 25% will pay back less under the new system than they would have done under the old. Due to the conditions in place, many people will never pay back the nominal amount of their loan (just as some will pay back more).
    My thoughts exactly. If there was anyway they could raise the fees and make it Progressive this was the way of going about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    I'm middle class and I voted Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Just so I know where you are coming from, did you support New Labour when they introduced fees and then top up fees?
    I support some individual graduate contribution. I think a contribution of £1000-£3000 per year is fair, providing generous grants and loans are available...which was the case under Labour.

The new level of fees, and the conditions attached to the loans, are an absolute scandal. The level of debt that the student will be left with at the end of their degree is staggering.

And as I say, for those school kids and parents who supported Tory or Lib Dem during the election campaign, it serves you right.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.