Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduates 'could pay back double their student loans' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    I'm middle class and I voted Labour.
    I wasn't attacking the middle class. Labour are the party of the middle class, as well as the working class. That's my point; the part of the middle class who vote Tory are utterly stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Wow this new system doesn't really seem to be very fair.... there's a surprise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    I support some individual graduate contribution. I think a contribution of £1000-£3000 per year is fair, providing generous grants and loans are available...which was the case under Labour.

The new level of fees, and the conditions attached to the loans, are an absolute scandal. The level of debt that the student will be left with at the end of their degree is staggering.

And as I say, for those school kids and parents who supported Tory or Lib Dem during the election campaign, it serves you right.
    I wasn't aware of a Labour promise not to increase fees, please provide a link if I am wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    prepare for the neg, that was a truely stupid comment :awesome:

good work!
    :teehee: at your sig story.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't attacking the middle class. Labour are the party of the middle class, as well as the working class. That's my point; the part of the middle class who vote Tory are utterly stupid.
    The only reason we voted Labour was because of the rumours of a ConDem coalition. And because the Tories were definitely gonna raise fees. Never liked Nick Clegg, he gave the impression of someone trying to hard, trying to take the upper moral ground all the time, like a pussy would. Labour government has personally ****ed me over in the past, but they were the only choice imo. For people who didn't prioritise fees/liked Nick Clegg, I could totally understand voting for someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I wasn't aware of a Labour promise not to increase fees, please provide a link if I am wrong.
    It would have been politically impossible for Labour to increase fees to the extent that the ConDem government has. It would have torn the party apart. If reform were to take place under Labour, it probably would have come in the form of a graduate tax.

ReputationRep:
    The same number of people will still go to university regardless of fee increases because theres no other option. The student protests failed to achieve anything and as far as I know the lib dems are doomed forever. Ah well, labours coming back in the next election.

ReputationRep:
    It would have been politically impossible for Labour to increase fees to the extent that the ConDem government has. It would have torn the party apart. If reform were to take place under Labour, it probably would have come in the form of a graduate tax.
    Graduate Tax would cost even more, just like Alan Johnson said (before his mind was changed).

The new system is more progressive anyway, but basically what you are saying is because the Government have done it it is unfair, but if Labour had done exactly the same thing it is fair.

ReputationRep:
    I am middle class and voted tory. No it isn't utterly stupid. Plus, there are people who are from working class backgrounds who vote for the tories.

It is only idiots who fall for Labour's illusions.

Labour were going to increase fees anyway- this is not "screwing" people over.

Graduate tax- a la Alan Johnson?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    I am middle class and voted tory. No it isn't utterly stupid. Plus, there are people who are from working class backgrounds who vote for the tories.

Graduate tax- a la Alan Johnson?
    It is screwing people over. No one should have to pay THAT much for a degree, and it's ridiculous the amount anyone who is successful afterwards will have to pay back.

I hate everything the tories stand for. They prioritize the middle-upper class, and basically represent some old backwards views on thing... But then that's going off topic.

It shouldn't cost so much and be so hard to have a chance at decent jobs.

ReputationRep:

Labour was the best thing to ever happen the middle class. In fact, it was Labour that created the modern middle class, which let's not the forget, is effectively an extension of the working class, rather than that of the upper class. Middle class is what happens, gradually, when the working class benefits from greater working conditions and fairer pay. Middle class people of intelligence are fully aware of this, which is why academics, teachers, journalists, musicians, writers etc etc are overwhelmingly left-leaning. The stupid half of the middle class (Daily Mail readers, and that kind) are the people who the Tories fool into voting for them.

Just take a look at what the Tories are doing to the modern middle class and have a good think about it.

ReputationRep:
    you can get a better mortgage than that. disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    Teveth do you agree with the Browne report that was commissioned by the Labour government:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11519147
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It serves the middle class parents who voted Tory right, and the school kids who support Tory, too. It's just a shame that the good people who voted Labour will have to suffer, as well.
    Yeah Labour fought such a strong hard campaign against the fee rise. You know after they ordered the Browne review

ReputationRep:
    Labour was the best thing to ever happen the middle class. In fact, it was Labour that created the modern middle class, which let's not the forget, is effectively an extension of the working class, rather than that of the upper class. Middle class is what happens, gradually, when the working class benefits from greater working conditions and fairer pay. Middle class people of intelligence are fully aware of this, which is why academics, teachers, journalists, musicians, writers etc etc are overwhelmingly left-leaning. The stupid half of the middle class (Daily Mail readers, and that kind) are the people who the Tories fool into voting for them.

Just take a look at what the Tories are doing to the modern middle class and have a good think about it.
    Really. As John Prescott declared "we're all middle classes now", his boss, old PM Tony Blair (that warmonger) stated to his advisers that "he inherited a golden economy from the tories".

The Modern Middle Classes were the making of the tory party.

Academics, teachers, journalists, musicians and writers - left leaning. Lets take the teacher example- Katherine Birbalsingh.

I must reflect on Prescott's statement- it was his party who increased the division in social mobility, who allowed 1 in 10 children to live below poverty, dumbed down education (we get people working for the state to hand out questionnaires on obesity whilst standing outside a mcdonalds) etc... Did I forget to add? Labour's byproduct- BNP/EDL.

Yes, that Labour even during the good times, managed to mess up the economy and mess up on social issues.

Oh, what a fool, I am for voting tory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Teveth do you agree with the Browne report that was commissioned by the Labour government:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11519147
    No, I don't. And nor does the Labour Party.

(Original post by Aj12)
    Yeah Labour fought such a strong hard campaign against the fee rise. You know after they ordered the Browne review
    We're not obliged to agree with the findings of a review just because we commissioned it.

ReputationRep:
    Really. As John Prescott declared "we're all middle classes now", his boss, old PM Tony Blair (that warmonger) stated to his advisers that "he inherited a golden economy from the tories".

The Modern Middle Classes were the making of the tory party.

Academics, teachers, journalists, musicians and writers - left leaning. Lets take the teacher example- Katherine Birbalsingh.

I must reflect on Prescott's statement- it was his party who increased the division in social mobility, who allowed 1 in 10 children to live below poverty, dumbed down education (we get people working for the state to hand out questionnaires on obesity whilst standing outside a mcdonalds) etc... Did I forget to add? Labour's byproduct- BNP/EDL.

Yes, that Labour even during the good times, managed to mess up the economy and mess up on social issues.

Oh, what a fool, I am for voting tory.
    Labour decreased child poverty, for crying out loud! It was far worse when we took over in 1997.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, I don't. And nor does the Labour Party.

We're not obliged to agree with the findings of a review just because we commissioned it.
    And its pretty likely Labour did agree. They seemed pretty happy to go along with the policy. Their criticism was weak and its likely they only opposed it to try to scrape a few student votes and to disagree with the gov

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    It is screwing people over. No one should have to pay THAT much for a degree, and it's ridiculous the amount anyone who is successful afterwards will have to pay back.

I hate everything the tories stand for. They prioritize the middle-upper class, and basically represent some old backwards views on thing... But then that's going off topic.

It shouldn't cost so much and be so hard to have a chance at decent jobs.
    Really?

I agree £9000 is a lot. Why should it stop you from going to university? It shouldn't. Anyway, the deal is fairer because you don't even have to pay most of it back until you earn £210000 or above. In fact read the BBC, it will show you how fair the proposals are.

Really? What do the tories stand for? Do you believe in lil mermaids? The myth that the tories prioritize the upper-middle classes. Since when?

In fact they have done more to help those in poverty than Labour- benefits system, NHS, health and safety and work regulations etc...

Tony Blair introduced tuition fees after promises that he wouldn't. Do you hate everything Labour stands for?

ReputationRep:
    Labour decreased child poverty, for crying out loud! It was far worse when we took over in 1997.
    Really?

Even that left leaning paper called the independent couldn't write a rave review on "Labour's decreasing child poverty":

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-1681047.html

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.