Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went to an 'Oxford Faculty of Law' open day today and one of the speakers said that to be a successful barrister, you need to go to one of the Top 10 Uni's.

Obviously Oxbridge are in this Top 10 but what are the other Uni's??

ReputationRep:
    KCL
    UCL
    LSE
    Durham
    Nottingham

ReputationRep:
    Warwick I believe is pretty high in the ratings, maybe just inside the top ten depending on what you look at.

ReputationRep:
    you won't get into uni fullstop with grammatical capabilities like that. 'Unis'. Not Uni's. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rfc_07)
    you won't get into uni fullstop with grammatical capabilities like that. 'Unis'. Not Uni's. Sigh.
    I didn't know there were specific rules regarding grammar on here, but thanks so much for telling me. <sarcasm>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    KCL
    UCL
    LSE
    Durham
    Nottingham
    thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alipally94)
    I didn't know there were specific rules regarding grammar on here, but thanks so much for telling me. <sarcasm>
    SARCASM, REALLY!?!? What an eye opener.....

ReputationRep:
    Queen Mary is right up there.

ReputationRep:
    I went to an 'Oxford Faculty of Law' open day today and one of the speakers said that to be a successful barrister, you need to go to one of the Top 10 Uni's.

In no particular order:
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    Durham
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    KCL
    UCL
    Warwick
    I guess this last spot is debatable, but maybe Manchester/QMUL/Birmingham here?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Durham
    London Metropolitan
    Nottingham
    Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam0311)
    In no particular order:
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    LSE
    Durham
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    KCL
    UCL
    Warwick
    I guess this last spot is debatable, but maybe Manchester/QMUL/Birmingham here?
    I think I'd go with that.

You're never going to get any kind of agreement on what order they should go in, OP.

ReputationRep:
    Oxbridge, the three London colleges (LSE, UCL, KCL), Durham, Bristol and Nottingham. The final two places could go to any two of a fairly large group: Manchester, Birmingham, QMUL, Newcastle, Warwick, Leeds, Exeter, Southampton etc. I don't think you'll find a general consensus of which of these deserves to be one of the remaining two. Some will say that certain members of that group are better than Bristol and Nottingham. It really depends on what your criteria are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Durham
    London Metropolitan
    Nottingham
    Bristol
    lol

ReputationRep:

lol. That's not quite true. I guess it depends on what you mean by "successful" (they probably mean QCs) but even this isn't true....

(Original post by TurboCretin)
    Oxbridge, the three London colleges (LSE, UCL, KCL), Durham, Bristol and Nottingham. The final two places could go to any two of a fairly large group: Manchester, Birmingham, QMUL, Newcastle, Warwick, Leeds, Exeter, Southampton etc. I don't think you'll find a general consensus of which of these deserves to be one of the remaining two. Some will say that certain members of that group are better than Bristol and Nottingham. It really depends on what your criteria are.
    That's probably a fair reflection.

Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, UCL, LSE, KCL, Bristol, Nottingham and, increasingly, Warwick are the universities are probably the universities they were referring to. I see increasingle Warwick, not because it has only recently been considered to be a top ten university (generally speaking, away from law, it has never been outside the top ten in league tables - not that I'd place too much value in this myself considering league tables are so recent and they're, erm, crap). More that it's still a relatively new institution, only 40 years old, it's only been this past 15 - 20 years that it's started to become particularly represented.

Durham, Bristol, Nottingham and the London universities are, compared to the ancients, very new indeed. But at least Durham, UCL and KCL are (just about) pre-Victorian, with the others Victorian, so have 100 years on Warwick.

But as mentioned, over the past 20 years, with its links to business (including investment), strong business school, law school and being a bit of a darling of the previous Labour government, as well as being a popular university (thanks in part to league table success) it has certainly established itself.

Away from these then, as above, Newcastle, Exeter, Queen Mary, the redbricks (MAnchester, Leeds, Sheffield, Liverpool), possibly SOAS. Then other Russell and 1994 Group universities.

The former polytechnics (post 1992 universities) still have some representation, though more regionally. Northumbria, Nottingham Trent, Oxford Brookes and UWE amongst others.

So if you can't get into Oxbridge, Durham, LSE, UCL and the like, or don't think you'll like studying there, and instead choose a university which is still a Russell or 1994 Group university (Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Queen Mary or Exeter for example) then don't think being a barrister isn't a fairly realistic aspiration. Obviously there are other things which will influence your chances (your academic record being just one).

ReputationRep:

at least by going to other unis you can be an unsuccesfull barrister...which is still a barrister (possibly non practising tho ) but barrister non the less

ReputationRep:
    In no particular order:

Cambridge
    Oxford
    LSE
    UCL
    Warwick
    Durham
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Manchester
    Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    So if you can't get into Oxbridge, Durham, LSE, UCL and the like, or don't think you'll like studying there, and instead choose a university which is still a Russell or 1994 Group university (Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Queen Mary or Exeter for example) then don't think being a barrister isn't a fairly realistic aspiration. Obviously there are other things which will influence your chances (your academic record being just one).
    The lower "ranked" you go, the harder it is to get pupillage. Even at criminal or mixed sets or at the Regional Bar (don't worry I don't forget the provinces!), the competition is still often intense (albeit not as bad, so I qualify this statement slightly). However, I certainly don't see too many chancery/commercial barristers from any of the universities you have bracketed (although I did meet a girl who held an undergrad degree from Exeter who was a recent tenant at Selborne last year- she had a lot of other stuff on her CV though which made up for that though). I know it's probably quite unfair River but the bottom line is- if you want to go to the Bar and earn decent money it's best to get a first and go to a very good university (preferably Oxbridge and if not- somewhere like Durham, LSE or UCL). I don't want to sound alarmist here, but it's the truth. Academics are very important at the Bar- more so than at the law firms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Roxas)
    In no particular order:

Cambridge
    Oxford
    LSE
    UCL
    Warwick
    Durham
    Bristol
    Nottingham
    Manchester
    Edinburgh
    I'd go with this list, but i'm a little dubious about manchester (maybe replace with KCL). But remember, about 50% of people who made it to the bar are Oxbridge, the rest of the list make up the other 40% or so...and 10% is everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talespirit)
    I'd go with this list, but i'm a little dubious about manchester (maybe replace with KCL). But remember, about 50% of people who made it to the bar are Oxbridge, the rest of the list make up the other 40% or so...and 10% is everyone else.
    Would you have the stats for Oxbridge law grads too? i want to know how many graduate from both unis with a degree in law. Maybe that would give us a better understanding why they're well represented in the bar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Roxas)
    Would you have the stats for Oxbridge law grads too? i want to know how many graduate from both unis with a degree in law. Maybe that would give us a better understanding why they're well represented in the bar.
    they're well represented in the bar because most people already in the bar are Oxbridge graduates....it's a vicious cycle. THe bar is a place of posh, over qualified, upper-middle to upper class destination...of which oxbridge provides a plenty. It's also because they can choose. Why pick anything less when you can have oxbridge?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.