Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I already know that architecture is an expensive course ( and I am pretty much aware of the fact that the career of the architect is not a satisfactory one), but I am concerned with average (monthly?) expenses of students.
    Also, what are some cities/universities where living is affordable? As a non-UK students I have only a vague idea of prices in different places..
    Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Rent depends of city obviously - Cardiff bank on £250-300 a month + utility bills / food etc
    Modelling / drawing materials - £30-50 a month on average
    Printing - another £30 a month
    books you want to buy £30 a month
    field trip - £500 per academic year - so average out on £50 a month.

so course related expense of maybe £150 a month averaged over a year you should be OK. Most of my colleagues and I were spending £1000-1500 a year on course related stuff. Its probably going up as I type though, inflation being as it is.

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff seems pretty cheap. Expect to spend much more in places like Nottingham or London.

ReputationRep:
    London - rent £500 - £550 on rent and bills per month (zone 2)
    travel card £70 per month
    £20-30 per week on paper/ materials
    books - £20 per month
    £500 trip - only once during the duration of the 3 year course.

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow is between Cardiff and London but closer to the Cardiff prices and that's for the west end. You can live in other area's for a lot less but you wouldn't really want to and travel costs go up. Belfast is a lot cheaper rent wise like £160 a month but then you have the added expense of the awkward travel.

I went on a £500 trip each year during the course.

ReputationRep:
    What about Edinburgh, for example?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 19, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.