Turn on thread page Beta

Postgraduate in Maths but a Maths with Economics Bsc? watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Despite what my sig says I do a Bsc at LSE for Maths with Econ. The modules are here:
    http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergra...Sc_MathEc.aspx

Do you think going on to do a pure maths Msc or Mphil is feasible with this degree? At any institution like Oxford, Warwick etc (given I get a first or whatever)?

Thanks for any help!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    sorry to double post but it fell down the first page.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallon)
    Despite what my sig says I do a Bsc at LSE for Maths with Econ. The modules are here:
    http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergra...Sc_MathEc.aspx

Do you think going on to do a pure maths Msc or Mphil is feasible with this degree? At any institution like Oxford, Warwick etc (given I get a first or whatever)?

Thanks for any help!
    To get into top institutes like the ones you mentioned, you would need a good level of maths, and i know for a fact that the maths with eco isnt very mathematical!!!

but the LSE brand name and since your degree has a good level of maths involved I really dont see why not! My friend who did economics at a Bsc in Glasgow got offer of Msc in maths at lancaster so considering you have a better brand name in terms of a uni and more mathematical content Im sure you will be able to!

Im guessing you dont want to be an actuary anymore given your sig and profile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by my man the man)
    To get into top institutes like the ones you mentioned, you would need a good level of maths, and i know for a fact that the maths with eco isnt very mathematical!!!

but the LSE brand name and since your degree has a good level of maths involved I really dont see why not! My friend who did economics at a Bsc in Glasgow got offer of Msc in maths at lancaster so considering you have a better brand name in terms of a uni and more mathematical content Im sure you will be able to!

Im guessing you dont want to be an actuary anymore given your sig and profile?
    I highly doubt he has a chance to get into pure Maths with the limited Maths he has on his course.

LSE isn't good for Maths. Economics isn't good for pure Maths as I doubt he has done any in his course. Calculus, linear algebra and Real analysis won't cut it at a top uni for pure Maths or even Applied Maths. The other options don't seem that good also.

(Original post by Tallon)

Thanks for any help
    Why can't you do something like financial Mathematics? Warwick is really good for it so you can try getting into that. I doubt Oxford or Warwick will accept you as you haven't done that much Maths. The link you provided shows very basic Maths. Also, it is three years which I find weird. So you are having 1 less year than everyone else applying with weaker Maths course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    I highly doubt he has a chance to get into pure Maths with the limited Maths he has on his course.

LSE isn't good for Maths. Economics isn't good for pure Maths as I doubt he has done any in his course. Calculus, linear algebra and Real analysis won't cut it at a top uni for pure Maths or even Applied Maths. The other options don't seem that good also.

Why can't you do something like financial Mathematics? Warwick is really good for it so you can try getting into that. I doubt Oxford or Warwick will accept you as you haven't done that much Maths. The link you provided shows very basic Maths. Also, it is three years which I find weird. So you are having 1 less year than everyone else applying with weaker Maths course.
    Thats true but my friend and a number of people who did no related maths degrees did get into a maths degree and the likes of the subjects they did were economics, chemistry, biology etc

but in relation to FM I would defo say yes, im doing a FM degree and an Msc in it would definitely shape up your level of pure maths as well indeed espeically!!! LSE is amazing for FM so a Msc from them maybe??

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.