Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Royal Wedding More Important then People's Freedoms. Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Toff Bulingdon Club idiot Boris Johnson has won his court case against peace campaigners on the parliament green. Inteviewed by C4, the upper class twit has said that the victory was an important step in reclaiming what is "ours", and making it ready for the royal wedding.

Putting outdated and decrepit institutions before freedom and rights.

Disgusting Tory.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110317...ourtcampaigner

Boris is awesome. But seriously I don't really care that much about some random hippie. The Royal Wedding is much better, for a start we get a day off.

ReputationRep:
    I have lost a lot of respect for Boris because of this. What happened to the peoples right to protest? I find this totally unacceptable. Sure, Royal wedding special occasion (I'm not against it nor am I for the wedding) however, peoples right to protest is part of the foundations of a democracy. I also do not believe that Boris's dilemma should have been directly to a court where the majority of the electorates do not have control.

ReputationRep:
    Put your political agenda aside, and stop trying to score cheap political brownie points.
    The Royal Wedding, which could be the most important cultural event of this century for Great Britain is more important than some hippy campaigners.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has the right to protest.

No-one has to right to squat on public land indefinitely. By being there he is actually restricting other people's ability to protest.

He's made his point; it's time to move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoobWithMoobs)
    Put your political agenda aside, and stop trying to score cheap political brownie points.
    The Royal Wedding, which could be the most important cultural event of this century for Great Britain is more important than some hippy campaigners.
    Most cultural important event?! its two people you don't know and have never met getting married. Ones an in-bred german, and the other seems to have not heard of feminism. bunch of crap.

ReputationRep:
    We all have a right to protest, but we don't have a right to squat indefinately on ground in the middle of London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Devil)
    I have lost a lot of respect for Boris because of this. What happened to the peoples right to protest?
    Nothing.

But there's a line between a temporary organised demonstration and a permanent camp or installment. Seeing as we aren't even in Iraq any more and haven't been for two years, and seeing that he was basically abusing the right to protest in one of the most high profile spaces in the UK, I have no sympathy for the man. You have a right to protest, not to squat on public property.

The only reason why permanent camps like the one at Faslane are tolerated is because they're out of the way.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a protest if you just squat on public property indefinitely.

ReputationRep:
    What a hero

ReputationRep:
    This seems sensible more than anything - the headline's (very) exaggerated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Boris is awesome. But seriously I don't really care that much about some random hippie. The Royal Wedding is much better, for a start we get a day off.
    I was so happy about the wedding because I would get a day off but then work sent out an email saying, in a very convoluted way, that we wont be having a day off.

It was something along the lines of:

"Although we are required to give you the day off as it is a bank holiday you will have to either work one of the other bank holidays or decrease your holiday allowance by one day"

but the wording was much worse, and could been simplified to:

"its the same as any other day" (ie you use a holiday up if you want a holiday!)

Sadly the law doesn't mention bank holidays, just 28 days minimum (what I get) >_<

ReputationRep:
    Partying is more important than politics.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Boris. It's a bunch of delusional hippies who haven't got jobs and are no doubt living off the state. But of course they don't want a job because they don't wish to be a 'slave' to the establishment. I class these people in the same league as EDL fascists. OK, their message isn't one of hatred but it's basically the same in the sense that it is just the ramblings of nutcases. Not so much offensive, just extremely annoying.

ReputationRep:
    **** the royal wedding.

ReputationRep:
    The royal wedding is probably the most important event of the last 20 years...billions all around the world will watch it and the tourism it brings in will be billions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    The Toff Bulingdon Club idiot Boris Johnson has won his court case against peace campaigners on the parliament green. Inteviewed by C4, the upper class twit has said that the victory was an important step in reclaiming what is "ours", and making it ready for the royal wedding.

Putting outdated and decrepit institutions before freedom and rights.

Disgusting Tory.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110317...ourtcampaigner
    :facepalm2: They left the area in a state and were doing nothing. Other than making signs.

ReputationRep:
    There's no 'right' to set up camp on public land and absolutely ruin it for everyone else. You might as well call pitching a tent in the middle of a public road 'a protest'.

How the police even allowed the man to set up a tent there in the first place is beyond me. I'd have assumed someone who tried to camp out in a public square would be removed within the hour.

(Original post by Martyn*)
    The Toff Bulingdon Club idiot Boris Johnson
    You're such a pleb.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.