Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just got a last offer on my UCAS and was wondering which uni I should firm.
    My top choices are Queen Mary and Birmingham (Reading is my insurance) and I'm not sure which one of these two is better to study a law degree.
    I know that Birmingham, unlike QM is in the Russell Group but Queen Mary could be more prestigous.
    Please help, I need to make a decision asap and I'm torn! :P
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    I heard London Met is quite prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard i think Birmingham is the best/ most respected etc.
    But itd be best to go to the one you prefer, if you loved QM then go for that!

ReputationRep:
    I would choose QM for the invaluable links with London, a factor of such importance in law, especially if you are seeking to become a Barrister. I am no expert, however I also understand that many firms rank a degree from QM second only to Oxbridge, making it slightly easier to gain a pupilage if that were your desired path.

That is not to say Birmingham is a waste of time, they also have a very well respected law school that will leave you in a great position post degree. Personally it comes down to location and the accompanying employment links, QM emerges on top.

An institution's presence in the Russell group should not be seriously factored in to your decision, considering that the group only represents research heavy weights. Individual course reputation is not well reflected, especially regarding law. Durham is a notable exclusion from the Russell group, I do not know many who would sniff at a degree from Durham's law department:rolleyes:

Good luck with your, rather lovely, dilemma

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much semolina, I'm kinda leaning towards QM, mostly because of the the mentioned links to law firms, but some people say that Birmingham is a much better uni... That is mainly why I'm torn...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.