Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sean5861)
    Applied for Civil Engineering

Literally just sent off my reply's so still waiting for the email from Cardiff. I, like everyone here seems to be, torn between Senghennydd and Talybont. Leaning towards Senghennydd because I am not bothered about ensuite and it is so convenient it seems.
    I also applied for Civil Engineering . 5 years MEng with a year in industry. I've gone for Talybont over Senghennydd because im not bothered about the walk and would rather not always be around a bunch of techies, but Seng is my second choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    Psychology is probably a 20-25minute walk from Taly Court, and 30minutes from the furthest edge of Talybont [I can't remember if it's north or south as I never lived there, but had friends]. Talybont is very social, but very full on, noise etc so make sure that's the kind of thing you like!
    psychology it depends how fast you walk , I live in South (nearer the north end) and it only takes me 15 to psychology but like 25 to bute. not all you lectures will be in the psych building

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I also applied for Civil Engineering . 5 years MEng with a year in industry. I've gone for Talybont over Senghennydd because im not bothered about the walk and would rather not always be around a bunch of techies, but Seng is my second choice
    Yeah I ended up with Talybont South as my 1st, Senghennydd as my second and then Talybont North and reduced/small etc. as my next options. It seemed miles away on the map but in reality it's just a half hour walk which is fine by me . I haven't opted for they year in industry but I think that can be changed throughout the course anyway. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    a few things.

firstly reduced rooms in taly north are literally hell. my best friend from back home got put in one, but it was so small and so cramped, he moved, despite liking his new flatmates.

secondly roy jenkins and cartwright court arent good. i was in cartwright and it sucks, especially if you are in one of the 'houses' attatched to the side. cartwright is almost as far away as uni halls, but they get buses everywhere for free! so its much easier to get to any friends in talybont or to get to the union. I have heard RJ isnt good but i dont know from experience.

also, if you get put in tower (uni halls) you get the biggest rooms by far, and ensuite, but its just a bit older. the rooms and kitchen are the same, but the corridors/stairwells look their age.

the most important thing is applying early. the bad residences are a collection of people that didnt bother applying until after the deadline or went through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james lane)
    cartwright is almost as far away as uni halls
    Are you sure? I'm living pretty close to it (mackintosh place) next year (admittedly at the albany road end) and it's a 10-15 minute walk to the town centre at most.

ReputationRep:
    no way! its like 10-15 from the union, unless you are running it, or you are right at the bottom of mackintosh place - that road is 5mins long to be fair. also, uni halls is only 10 minute walk from cartwright, so lets say its a 30 min walk, but only a 5 minute bus journey...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james lane)
    a few things.

firstly reduced rooms in taly north are literally hell. my best friend from back home got put in one, but it was so small and so cramped, he moved, despite liking his new flatmates.
    Hmmm, I'm trying to remember how high up I put them, I think I went with standard Taly north/south then the reduced rooms after, but still above colum etc. Did you get your first choice? I put my accommodation application in in late April if I remember, do I stand a good chance of getting a regular ensuite at Taly?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know when we will hear back about accommodation? i received an unconditional in december firmed it in march and applied for my accommodation the same week but my application still only says submitted. does anyone know when we will start to hear so i can stop checking it everyday?

ReputationRep:
    If you've got an unconditional then you should get a response early August/late July. Nothing gets allocated before then. Looking at my email I got my offer on 23/07/10. After you get an offer you get 7 days to accept it. If you applied that early and got an unconditional I wouldn't worry too much, you're practically guaranteed your first/second choice since most people's wont be allocated until results day.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's about right. They'll email you when your allocation has been made.

ReputationRep:
    Talybont, in various formations are my 3rd choice and beyond.... Gordon Hall is 1st and Senygydd Court 2nd choice because of the part catering option. Have had my unconditional since April, so I'm hopeful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portugueseninja)
    In my Senghennydd Court flat there's 2 girls and three boys. We have two engineers, a computer scientist and a maths student. But I'm archaeology, and I know others in SC from Italian and languages so you do get a mixture there. And it's not like you will really do anything related to your course while you're in the flat anyway so being with people from different subjects doesn't make much of a difference at all.

I'm not the going out type but my flatmates go out a lot and there's always people coming and going, hanging out in the flat etc so it is really social if you want it to be.

hi. do you have any idea how the math is taught at cardiff? mind if you can ask your flatemate?

ReputationRep:
    I put Aberdare as my first, what with it being cheaper to have a shared bathroom, self catered, and it has a nice sized kitchen if the website is anything to go by (cannot be doing with a claustrophobic kitchen!) ; the desk space in the bedroom was good too. Then I put the Talybonts, which sound like the most popular. That was another reason I didn't want to put them first: too much competition to get them, so I might as well go for an easier option that I'm happier with.

Really hope I'm not the only person putting Aberdare, nobody else on here seems to have even put it as a choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanji123)
    I put Aberdare as my first, what with it being cheaper to have a shared bathroom, self catered, and it has a nice sized kitchen if the website is anything to go by (cannot be doing with a claustrophobic kitchen!) ; the desk space in the bedroom was good too. Then I put the Talybonts, which sound like the most popular. That was another reason I didn't want to put them first: too much competition to get them, so I might as well go for an easier option that I'm happier with.

Really hope I'm not the only person putting Aberdare, nobody else on here seems to have even put it as a choice
    You won't be the only person in Aberdare. I'll be there next year too

The kitchen is a good size, yes, and the bedrooms are large for student accomadation - though keep in mind that you'll be sharing the kitchen with about 10 or 11 people. We didn't generally have problems last year, though. Aberdare is a very quiet hall, though - and apparently Taly are the party halls, but as with everything, it all depends on who else is living there.

ReputationRep:
    I just got my accommodation from the uni. I'm in Taly North.. anyone else had an offer yet?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I've got my offer. Gordon Hall Third Floor Flat 3 Room 9.

First choice, delighted to have got one of the 11 rooms available with the shared bathroom, part catered option, I'm transferring to the university for second year from Lampeter, and I spent far too much... needed the most cost effective option really.

ReputationRep:
    I got my offer too. Senghennydd Hall Third floor Falt 10 Room 72.

It was my first choice aswell so im over the moon.

ReputationRep:
    I received a transcript from my college this morning whch can be used as proof for my grades. Would the transcript be acceptable or do I have to wait until my offer on UCAS becomes unconditional before I am offered residency? I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be when your UCAS offer is made unconditional, not before.

ReputationRep:
    i put colum hall as my first since im doing business management and its closest to the business school, im starting to think im made the wrong first choice :/
    hows the student life in colum?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.