Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moorw003)
    Yes, I've got my offer. Gordon Hall Third Floor Flat 3 Room 9.

First choice, delighted to have got one of the 11 rooms available with the shared bathroom, part catered option, I'm transferring to the university for second year from Lampeter, and I spent far too much... needed the most cost effective option really.
    Yeahh, El Gordino. That's where I stayed

ReputationRep:
    haha I'll be at talybont south. Regardless of the fact I'll be having to walk to the engineering block every day xD Gotta party it up!

ReputationRep:
    Gah, ive apllied to go to Taly South, do you reckon that i'll still be around Scientists? xD (Seriously, I didnt pick Sen as my first since...I was advised not to)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OmegaGreen17)
    Gah, ive apllied to go to Taly South, do you reckon that i'll still be around Scientists? xD (Seriously, I didnt pick Sen as my first since...I was advised not to)

You're more likely to be around sciencey/engineering people in Seng/Gordon but Taly contains a good mix of everyone. I didn't stay in Taly but had mates there and it's an epic place to be! Plus, it's good having different types of people to go back to to after a day at lectures.

ReputationRep:
    Who has stayed in Aberdare Hall before? I am considering it for various reasons. What did people who stayed there like/dislike about it?

ReputationRep:
    I stayed in Aberdare last year, and personally I enjoyed it. It's very quiet, but... that goes with the territory of being an all-girl's hall. The food, if you stay in catered, is apparently a bit crap - but personally I didn't really have any complaints. It's very close to the main buildings and the union/train station, as well as the main shopping precincts.

Was there anything particular you wanted to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangecup)
    I stayed in Aberdare last year, and personally I enjoyed it. It's very quiet, but... that goes with the territory of being an all-girl's hall. The food, if you stay in catered, is apparently a bit crap - but personally I didn't really have any complaints. It's very close to the main buildings and the union/train station, as well as the main shopping precincts.

Was there anything particular you wanted to know?
    Cheers. If I end up in Cardiff, I will do Maths there and it is not very far from the Maths building. And, like you said, it's close to the train station which is good for going home. I think the main aspect for me is to be somewhere quiet-ish, but where I can make some friends as well. Food doesn't matter as I would apply for the self-catered room. How did you like your room? From what I saw on pictures, they are a bit nicer than in other places? And did you find it a bit odd to be in an all girls hall or was it alright? That's about it really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caro.poole)
    Cheers. If I end up in Cardiff, I will do Maths there and it is not very far from the Maths building. And, like you said, it's close to the train station which is good for going home. I think the main aspect for me is to be somewhere quiet-ish, but where I can make some friends as well. Food doesn't matter as I would apply for the self-catered room. How did you like your room? From what I saw on pictures, they are a bit nicer than in other places? And did you find it a bit odd to be in an all girls hall or was it alright? That's about it really.
    The rooms are nice there - the bedrooms are a good size, and are well furnished - standard student room stuff, really. Desk, bed, good size wardrobe, drawers, etc. The pictures on the website are a good representation of the rooms, imo. If anything goes wrong, the staff are quick about getting things fixed, too - the door of our oven broke, and one of the microwaves packed up - and both things were fixed/replaced within a day. (I know, it sounds like massive drama, but honestly - they were very quick about getting things fixed and replaced).

And- while living in an all-female environment did seem a little artificial, at times, personally I liked being somewhere I could get away from men and not have to deal with toilet seats left up and fire alarms going off at 3am every Friday night

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Aberdare too, hopefully find out in the next day or two. I like the fact that it's quiet, I'd rather be getting a good degree than getting wasted (of course, I'd have a bit of fun too). Main reason for choosing it was that the kitchen was the roomiest of all of them! But the bedrooms look nice too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielharris627)
    Being from Cardiff my answer is Talybont! I'm sure most will probably say the same too.
    i came to cardiff uni about 10 yrs ago and wanted to live at Talybont but got dumped in Uni Hall (which id hated when i saw it on an open day)

i visited Talybont lots of times (the exams were mostly held their too) and tbh i didnt like that much as i found it was like a concrete jungle with no atmosphere - but i did like the bar, and the sports facilities were good too.

Uni Hall however rocked.

Im going back to uni @ cardiff this yr as a mature student and am a little sad i wont be in halls again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.