Turn on thread page Beta

How safe is internet banking? watch

ReputationRep:
    Would people prefer to use post-dated cheques or internet banking? (in terms of safety, convenience, hassle in setting up, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Recently? I got mine 2 years ago. Hardly call that recent.

Anyway, internet banking is safe. As safe as telephone banking IMO. As long as you're not a moron with your details and don't log on in internet cafe's etc you should be fine
    Am I right that you're only protected from keylogger viruses by the external cardreader?

and what other protections from keyloggers do you get with other banks that don't give out cardreaders for their customers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    can you give some examples of these?

because if its simply a matter of having more codes and passwords to type out, then essentially all these 'extra' security measures would surely be redundant in the face of the threat from keylogger viruses.

by the way, the bank I'm thinking of setting one up is nationwide
    Most ask for specific numbers, eg I'm on Natwest and they might ask for the 4th, 3rd and 1st number of my PIN, and the 5th, 7th and 2nd number of my password. The order and numbers requested changes each time so I don't see how a keylogger would be able to figure it out at all... they can't see the screen, right, so would not even know which part of your password you're typing in etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Am I right that you're only protected from keylogger viruses by the external cardreader?

and what other protections from keyloggers do you get with other banks that don't give out cardreaders for their customers?
    Why you so worried bout keyloggers?

They are incredibly easy to 'not get' , and get rid of with protection etc.

Look at ur bank every day,if something is wrong you ring and close it. simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)

I'd say a keylogger is more of a trojan horse than a virus but I know what you mean. The cardreader protects against it yes because it has an algorithm in it which produces a different code every time you need to use it for something on your online banking.

I can't answer your next question as I'm not sure what other banks use. I do also bank with Lloyds and they do not have a card reader. They do have a very good fraud dept though which tracks and monitors and reports on things 24/7. They use passcodes for online banking. If you want to protect yourself against keyloggers, you are better off providing the security yourself as there is not much the banks can do to safeguard your computer. There are a lot of different ways to protect yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)

Keyloggers CAN steal your internet banking login.

Things like virtual keyboards might help BUT there are plenty of malicious programs that can track your mouse clicks as well.

The obvious defence is a secure computer, Patch your OS + Anti Virus. A lot of the banks will even give you software for free.

ReputationRep:
    Just about all major banks force you to use a card reader when you transfer money to another bank account. So even in the very unlikely event that someone found your login details via a keylogger, they wouldn't be able to move your money about unless they physically had your bank card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmzie-Coupe)
    Nope. Got mine 2 years ago. Any time I need to change important details etc I used that machine.
    The other poster is right - until recently you didn't need the card reader to log in to your account, only if you were changing details or doing a transfer or something like that. A few months ago they changed it. I was sent one like three years ago but only used it once until they changed the log in system.

ReputationRep:
    You mean profession or simply internet banking?
    Commerical Internet Banking: Indifferant from regular bganking
    Profesional Banking: In seconds you can be a millionare while on the other hand you can be reduced to be a sullen lag with one stupid misclick.

ReputationRep:
    It's very unsafe, people hack your computer and jack your funds.

Don't get hacked and jacked, innit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemini89)
    The other poster is right - until recently you didn't need the card reader to log in to your account, only if you were changing details or doing a transfer or something like that. A few months ago they changed it. I was sent one like three years ago but only used it once until they changed the log in system.
    Oh I see. I don't really use mine anymore, just got a bit of money in there.

ReputationRep:
    With Barclays as well as you r ID and security number you also have a password and it asks you two letters from it which you select from a dropdown menu so keyloggers are useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    can you give some examples of these?

because if its simply a matter of having more codes and passwords to type out, then essentially all these 'extra' security measures would surely be redundant in the face of the threat from keylogger viruses.

by the way, the bank I'm thinking of setting one up is nationwide
    Some people will think this is paranoid, but if you are worried about keyloggers, you can download something like linux mint and boot from the cd everytime you want to use your banking website. You can then be sure that your operating system and hard drive is not infected.

ReputationRep:
    It's aight.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you've got all the windows/OS updates available. Download and install a decent anti-virus (not going to get into the debate about which one), update it and scan several times a week. Use Chrome or FF. Don't visit dodgy websites.

Your keylogger fears are now gone.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.