Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which Oxbridge University is more open to opportunity? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think its wishful thinking that people will be able to demonstrate "flair" or "potential" at undergraduate level without good grades...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    I think its wishful thinking that people will be able to demonstrate "flair" or "potential" at undergraduate level without good grades...
    Is that aimed at me, or a more general comment?

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge usually interview 90% of people, and if you get the interview, its up to you to prove that your better than what your grades show. If i'd applied to oxford (medicine), i would have been rejected pre interview due to BMAT, however, cambridge gave me i shot at interview, and i managed to do well enough to get an offer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by comrade_jon)
    if you feel you will do well in the HAT and less so the interview, Oxford makes more sense than Cambridge.
    I'd agree with everything except this part. Oxford may interview less candidates but they interview them more extensively implying it is more important to them (i had six interviews for medicine and i was no special case, whereas if i'd applied to cambridge i'd have had a single interview to prove myself). If interview was your strong point and you thought you could get an interview at Oxford then applying there may be optimal in terms of chances (especially if UMS grades were not up to Cambridge standards).

I think a HAT-UMS distinction is more true than HAT-interview.

although it's only a matter of time before Oxford follow suit (I think they have for sciences?)
    Some sciences but not all.

(Original post by jacketpotato)
    Its perhaps unlikely, but it does happen seemingly fairly regularly. It is a fair point though.

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I think he is saying that the vast majority of the candidates performing well at interview will be the ones with good grades too, which is relevant and true (if not, i take back my comment).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I think he is saying that the vast majority of the candidates performing well at interview will be the ones with good grades too, which is relevant and true (if not, i take back my comment).
    Ah OK. Some people on here like to use information in my sig to discount anything I say, hence why I wondered In any case, not very good at telling what's a deliberate dig and what is a passing comment that has nothing to do with me these days :o:

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with everything except this part. Oxford may interview less candidates but they interview them more extensively implying it is more important to them (i had six interviews for medicine and i was no special case, whereas if i'd applied to cambridge i'd have had a single interview to prove myself). If interview was your strong point and you thought you could get an interview at Oxford then applying there may be optimal in terms of chances (especially if UMS grades were not up to Cambridge standards).
    Don't you get interviewed by different colleges? That doesn't happen at Cambridge because you only apply to one and the pool system is there for afterwards. Most students have two interviews, many have one general and one based in their subject, I had two subject based ones though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Don't you get interviewed by different colleges? That doesn't happen at Cambridge because you only apply to one and the pool system is there for afterwards. Most students have two interviews, many have one general and one based in their subject, I had two subject based ones though.
    Ah ok i confess i thought due to the huge number of applicants that Cambridge only had one interview per candidate. The tutors must work extremely hard during the interview period! I think 2 or 3 is typical for Oxford, with extra interviews at other colleges if you get pooled or if you are a scientist. I do still stand by my point although perhaps not to the extent i thought, and your analysis did leave out UMS which is undoubtedly vital in 'tactically' applying.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok i confess i thought due to the huge number of applicants that Cambridge only had one interview per candidate. The tutors must work extremely hard during the interview period! I think 2 or 3 is typical for Oxford, with extra interviews at other colleges if you get pooled or if you are a scientist. I do still stand by my point although perhaps not to the extent i thought, and your analysis did leave out UMS which is undoubtedly vital in 'tactically' applying.
    Oh yes UMS is important, but the thing that was stressed to me time and time again by tutors was that the interview was so much more important. If two candidates have the same interview scores but one has marginally better UMS, then it;s not going to be a case of one gets offer one gets rejection/pool, they're highly likely to be in the same position assuming similar circumstances.

However this was for the less academically challening and more interview focussed, since it's an art, history. I would imagine the ultra-competitive Medicine for instance would have an increased emphasis on UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    General comment :cool:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.