Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've reduced my offers down to these two 'elites' (so people say). The course choice for both are philosophy.

- I've been to Exeter uni, and it has a very nice campus; but in my opinion the accommodation is lacking.
    - Another note about Exeter, is that I didn't detect any 'enthusiasm' from the philosophy lecturer who gave a short talk regarding the subject.
    - Exeter ranks higher than Cardiff on the league tables, but I'm sketpic about their validity.

I haven't been to Cardiff yet. I'm going on the 6th of April - however, I've seen their accommodation and it looks fantastic, especially for the price, which is cheaper than Exeter. I have a feeling that I may prefer the city, too, as opposed to the quieter location of Exeter. I've lived in a quiet location for 7 years now.

Basically I know asking people on a forum isn't the best way to make such a huge decision - but I don't intend to only go by the opinions I see here. However, they may contribute to my decision, and I need all the contribution I can get, as I really don't have anyone else to discuss this sort of stuff with. So, any input regarding these two universities will be helpful...

Thanks,

- J

ReputationRep:
    I had offers from both of these two aswel and in the discounted Exeter. I think Cardiff University is a much friendlier place to be, and the city was fab with the university integrated into it. As you said the accomodation is fab and so cheap! Whereas I agree some of Exeter's was pretty rank. All the lecturers I met at Cardiff seemed passionate about their subject and very approachable (albeit not the same subject as you).

Obviously you should visit Cardiff before you decide, but personally I would choose Cardiff.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you think all your lecturers will be passionate then youre going to have a big shock at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    If you think all your lecturers will be passionate then youre going to have a big shock at uni.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Wait til you've visited Cardiff and go with your instinct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheebs1201)
    I had offers from both of these two aswel and in the discounted Exeter. I think Cardiff University is a much friendlier place to be, and the city was fab with the university integrated into it. As you said the accomodation is fab and so cheap! Whereas I agree some of Exeter's was pretty rank. All the lecturers I met at Cardiff seemed passionate about their subject and very approachable (albeit not the same subject as you).

Obviously you should visit Cardiff before you decide, but personally I would choose Cardiff.
    Thanks Pheebs. Is there anything else apart from the less friendly atmosphere and accommodation at Exeter that you weren't particularly keen on; or at least felt that Cardiff was in some way better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    All academics I've come into contact with have been passionate about their subject and research areas.

Whether they're enthusiastic about teaching undergrads, or make good teachers, is another matter :p:

(Original post by River85)
    Answer this tomorrow *****
    Try and be back tomorrow (well, techincally later today). Although I don't have any direct experience of either department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamseeker)
    Thanks Pheebs. Is there anything else apart from the less friendly atmosphere and accommodation at Exeter that you weren't particularly keen on; or at least felt that Cardiff was in some way better?
    Location was a big one as I think Cardiff as a city is much nicer, plus the university is integrated into it whereas Exeter was a bit out on a limb up a huge hill also because I'm from Cornwall I decided that going to university in Devon would be a silly choice as it wouldn't be a very "new" experience. I think I would settle better at Cardiff really. I suppose it's all subjective!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.