Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can they make you do a subject that's not one of your options, in sixth form? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to a sixth form and I was planning on going there, however I heard that they make sixth form students do P.E every week

I've always hated P.E..

ReputationRep:
    I never had too. And the other Secondary Schools in the area don't.

Whether that's the same for all schools, I'm unsure, but I'd doubt it.

I think you're in the clear, but best double check; as I said: I can only account for local-area schools.

ReputationRep:
    Probably true.

In our college we had to do ' Spiritual Journey' once a week, learning about religions, sharing experiences and 'opening up to eachother' , was stupid.

If we didnt they were within rights to chuck us out ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    In our college we had to do ' Spiritual Journey' once a week, learning about religions, sharing experiences and 'opening up to eachother' , was stupid.
    :giggle: Seriously? That's dreadful!

We're meant to have compulsory team-building activities, but in an episode which neatly sums up my entire attitude to sixth form at the moment, I've been twagging them to go home and start the drinking an hour early :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    At my sixth form we have compulsory PE lessons once a week. Not too bad though, we can go to the gym and stuff, we don't have to do particular sports, but yes, some schools do make you do PE, I wouldn't let it put you off going to the school though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Probably true.

If we didnt they were within rights to chuck us out ¬_¬
    Wow that's a bit harsh isn't it? And kind of unfair...if it wasn't one of your options then what makes them think you'd want to do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviluck)
    I wouldn't let it put you off going to the school though!
    Meh I guess so...it's just that I've always dread P.E...never brought my kit in from year 9 onwards. I'm sure in sixth form the consequences would be much harsher than just a 5 minute detention after school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahjan)
    This was a really good school and I was really hoping to go to it as I did get a conditional offer, but now that I've heard this it's really put me off
    If you really want to go to the sixth form surely one hour of running about a bit wont be that much of a bother? They aren't making you study it, I'm sure you wouldn't be the only person if you skipped it every now and again We do it at my school but its practically optional, you can go to the gym or they'll run an aerobics or boxercise class which is actually pretty fun, or just go to the study room if we really can't be bothered!
    Trust me it wont be like the 'horror' that is younger school PE

ReputationRep:
    When I was in sixth form, we had to do PE and also some other 'activities' that were unrelated to A-levels. The difference between sixth form and the lower school is we got to choose which options we do for PE. I chose to go to a gym since I never really liked ball games/competitive sports.

Meh I guess so...it's just that I've always dread P.E...never brought my kit in from year 9 onwards. I'm sure in sixth form the consequences would be much harsher than just a 5 minute detention after school
    I once forgot my kit. I just went along, ticked off my name when no-one was looking then hid in the changing rooms for the whole session.:ninja:

For the people that never went, I think the worst that happened was the head of year got a bit irritated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cariie)
    We do it at my school but its practically optional, you can go to the gym or they'll run an aerobics or boxercise class which is actually pretty fun, or just go to the study room if we really can't be bothered!
    Ah it's nice that you get a choice...and I know i shouldn't let it bother me, but I hate P.E with a passion... Even if it's nothing like younger school, it's still P.E so it's still 'horror'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttoby)
    I once forgot my kit. I just went along, ticked off my name when no-one was looking then hid in the changing rooms for the whole session.:ninja:
    Hehe, I did that once but the teacher always locked the changing rooms the whole lesson so I was paranoid the whole time if the school burnt down and I would be stuck in the changing rooms...so I never did it again

ReputationRep:
    My old sixth form had the same idea, i just went home when it was pe time, they didnt care.

ReputationRep:
    Ah it's nice that you get a choice...and I know i shouldn't let it bother me, but I hate P.E with a passion... Even if it's nothing like younger school, it's still P.E so it's still 'horror'
    I'd happily bet that most people skip it from time to time! If its worth it to go to a decent sixth form I'd put up with it haha then again I'm saying that as someone who actually liked PE Just get your mum to write you a note that you have an on going muscle or joint problem so you can't take part :L Trust me you will have bigger worries at sixth form than PE lessons

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's a bit harsh isn't it? And kind of unfair...if it wasn't one of your options then what makes them think you'd want to do it?
    Their school - their rules.

ReputationRep:
    They can't force you to do it nope, but you're not going to make a good first impression by refusing to do it :P

I think it would be good, I hated p.e in year 11 but I kinda miss it now. It was fun pratting about in it plus it was literally the only exercise I got!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to a sixth form and I was planning on going there, however I heard that they make sixth form students do P.E every week...just like you do in KS3 & 4!

I've always hated P.E and the fact that you don't have to do it in sixth form or college makes me happy This was a really good school and I was really hoping to go to it as I did get a conditional offer, but now that I've heard this it's really put me off - but I don't know if it's a rumour or if it's actually true, I'm still trying to confirm it :confused:

I just wanna know, can they still make you do subjects that you didn't pick for your options? 'Cos that's just pointless when you could be using the free period for studying time right? :confused:

you ****ing jammy *******! i wish pe was compulsory in our sixthform, what school is this? sign me up!
    it wont be theoretical pe, just a way of getting students more fit and healthy. only some schools are doing this though, wish we were!

ReputationRep:
    At least you don't have to do Welsh Bacc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.