Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well there's a lot of hype around march 26th, with the outcome expected to exceed that of Stop the War. But hopefully unlike Stop the War it will not be a complete flop. Also, with the Royal Wedding coming up and the cuts pretty much kicking in from later this year, it is a crucial dominoe. But will it be successful?

what do you think?
    (also people in their 50s who have been 'trouble making since their teens have vowed to me they will pretty much just go on a never ending vacation if this flops, so i'm guessing it should be a big deal?)

ReputationRep:
    So.... what exactly is the protest about?

ReputationRep:
    um same thing
    fees benefit cuts ******* bankers corrupt politics the royal wedding etc etc
    just on a bigger escalation
    i think the excitement is over the fact its a TUC demo aswell
    and its the only one that day
    so about 50 000 i think should be there
    its guna be BIG
    but i dont know if anything will actually kick off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    So.... what exactly is the protest about?
    lol sorry i just answered your question but i forgot to quote you

ReputationRep:
    Government will proceed regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Government will proceed regardless.
    then thats whent he main disruptions will have to begin to kick in
    protests are a start
    but at the end of the day the govt dont care about graffiti and broken windows they care about money
    this is where general strikes kick in
    also all these evens begin to educate and wake people up
    im just wondering if it will actually kick off as hoped for..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HomeoApathy92)
    protests are a start
    but at the end of the day the govt dont care about graffiti and broken windows they care about money
    A General strike would be political and secondary action, which last time I looked was banned. Even Labour didn't make it legal.

ReputationRep:
    A General strike would be political and secondary action, which last time I looked was banned. Even Labour didn't make it legal.
    tbh with the mood this country is developing i dont really think ppl will be looking for permission for a general strike when it comes down to it if it gets that bad

ReputationRep:
    protests are a start
    Excellent, the people will riot against the legitimate government of this country which is working to make us stronger in the Long term.This government is in power, and it will be in power until May 2015, grow up and accept it. These cuts are for the benefit of everyone.

And if they do smash Windows, graffiti ect ect I pray they get fined, imprisoned ect for the money thats coming out of our Taxes to pay for their stupid selfish actions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will Lucky)
    Excellent, the people will riot against the legitimate government of this country which is working to make us stronger in the Long term.This government is in power, and it will be in power until May 2015, grow up and accept it. These cuts are for the benefit of everyone.

And if they do smash Windows, graffiti ect ect I pray they get fined, imprisoned ect for the money thats coming out of our Taxes to pay for their stupid selfish actions.
    yes because making people do others work for free, removing benefits from disable people, discriminating against single mothers and removing free legal aid from deprived areas..a longside a whole other list of things is for the benefit of the country?
    yes of course we should punish those who cannot pay tp cover the tracks of those who made the mess in the first place?

um how exactly is this making us stronger?

ReputationRep:
    tbh with the mood this country is developing i dont really think ppl will be looking for permission for a general strike when it comes down to it if it gets that bad

Thanks for the offer though, but no thanks, I'll be working anyway, trying to earn some money.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the offer though, but no thanks, I'll be working anyway, trying to earn some money.
    yes
    as will the other apox. 50 000 who will be attending.
    have fun.

ReputationRep:
    yes because making people do others work for free, removing benefits from disable people, discriminating against single mothers and removing free legal aid from deprived areas..a longside a whole other list of things is for the benefit of the country?
    yes of course we should punish those who cannot pay tp cover the tracks of those who made the mess in the first place?

um how exactly is this making us stronger?
    Disability Benefits are not being removed, a new benefit will replace the one being scrapped.
    Single Mothers are not being discriminated against.
    Free Legal Aid, personally I don't actually have an opinion on this one.

Everyone is paying for the mess that has been done, This has been debated on here countless times.

ReputationRep:
    It will be interesting to see how the police deal with it.

In the student protests they were given free reign to kettle and batter people because they had the public on side, this time it won't be a minority though, the protest will be made up of people from all walks of life.

ReputationRep:
    Disability Benefits are not being removed, a new benefit will replace the one being scrapped.
    Single Mothers are not being discriminated against.
    Free Legal Aid, personally I don't actually have an opinion on this one.

Everyone is paying for the mess that has been done, This has been debated on here countless times.
    disability allowance is being scrapped
    and they are being put throuhg nothing more than can be described as a testing lab
    new benefits to replace them have not even been fully confirmed yet
    and will most llikely arrive in about 3 years time

a single mother will receive less child benefit than one who is married and whose family earn over a certain amount.. which makes no sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    It will be interesting to see how the police deal with it.

In the student protests they were given free reign to kettle and batter people because they had the public on side, this time it won't be a minority though, the protest will be made up of people from all walks of life.
    ha don't you love how the police are now looking for sympathy now that theyre being attacked in terms of job cuts after they were warned by those they were brutalising..

ReputationRep:
    This has been debated on here countless times.
    yeah my thread wasn't do you think it is fair, it was asking do you think march 26th will kick off.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously it won't, no. People cared about poll tax. No one cares about this rubbish. The latest employment figures show that, whilst unemployment is up, so are the total number of jobs, powered by the private sector. The private sector is employing more people now than it was 3 months ago, and 3 months before that. People are getting employed again. More people voted for cuts than against them. More than half the country is for cuts, even if they squabble about the specifics of where they shold be. The only people who care about fees are students with nothing better to do than complain about a system that requires they pay more if they're successful, less if they're less successful and removes the burden from Joanne the laundrette attendant to pay for your sociology degree. People either like the royal wedding or are ambivalent. Most people appreciate that in a globaliser world, bankers are gonna exist and do what the do, so why don't they do it here so they can employ people and pay tax.

The people who live in the - for want of a better term - 'real world' realise our infinite money tree has, alas, run out. If you think you're doing people a favour by continuing our spending and causing us to spend almost as much every year in interest payments as on schools. Most people acknowledge this. Most people who have to go out and earn a living realise this.

Have fun at your march with the rest of your student mates who love the chance to get out of lectures so they can have a little stomp and a little moan before they go home for some coco and biscuits. You'll be largely on your own. There won't be crowds. There wont be mass protest. There is no public support, and Milbank wont even notice you're there.

No. Not poll tax riots round two. A bunch of spoilt arses who grew up in a generation where they got whatever they want.

ReputationRep:
    The government arent stupid...theyve got a team of people who are making up plans to make some strieks illegal so when the cuts do come in the public sector workers like bin men won;t be able to go on strike. at the end of the day something has to be done about the deficit and what do u suggest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    The government arent stupid...theyve got a team of people who are making up plans to make some strieks illegal so when the cuts do come in the public sector workers like bin men won;t be able to go on strike. at the end of the day something has to be done about the deficit and what do u suggest?
    I'd be surprised if they do that. Tactically it makes no sense. If bin men and all manner of other public sector workers start striking, who will voters turn to? Given that Ed is only the leader of Labour because of the unions, they're going to want them to be as quiet and as well behaved as possible. If people start hating the unions for making their lives miserable, it wooooo reflect more badly on labour than the Tories in my view.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.