March 26th, Poll Tax Riots Round 2? Watch

badtothebone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
:facepalm:

Russia has some of the richest oil, gas, mineral and forest reserves in the world. It is abundant in natural wealth in all it's forms.
Russia had NO industry. they had come taken heavy hits in WW1 had a revoultion, had to give up a lot of its land, and was invaded by up to 21 countries and had a 3 year counter revoultion. there was NOTHING left of the country. It had to be rebuilt from scratch. the fact that it went from this to putting the first man in space is testamount to success of the planned economy - even though it was strangled by the beurocracy. in a place of scarce resources those in charge of the resources make sure they are fed first and foremost. that should be obvious. thats why russia ended up as it did.
obins
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by badtothebone)
its more liekly to be quater of million
And if you add up the Emirates, Stamford Bridge, Craven Cottage, White Hart Lane, The Den and all the other football stadiums in London its still more than 250,000 people.

There is no 'revolution' at all - Just a minority of mis fits.
badtothebone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by usainlightning)
The point i was making is that some police shouldn't have been there in the first place,s o i don't give two ****s whether they will lose their jobs or not.
why? they are people with children to care for and bills to pay! you should care, if it happened to you and someone came up to you or you're mum or dad and said i don't give a **** that you lost you're job you wouldnt be best pleased.

To debate about current issues you have to take into account what happened in the past, if you're going to **** off my party without good reason, i am perfectly entitled to **** off labour using valid arguement.
i have good reason - i think less nurses is a worse thing for the country. amongst many other things.

I will never believe anything that is posted on that disgraceful site, printed in that vile paper.
why? lol, well ok just ignore it then, but its going to happen anyway. putting your head in the sand and pretending it isnt happening doesnt change anything u no.

You keep going on about certain types of people not causing the recession. That is of course the case, what else do you propose?
you admit it is the case - good! but how do you morally justify it? isnt it commonsense that the people who cause something live with the consequences and not the other way round?

You don't need to cut at all? Try looking at the reports of the most respected economic organisations in the world (OECD,IMF,CBI etc), then come back and repeat what you have just said.
you do not need to cut at all. the organisations you have mentioned are not a-political they are capitalist and as such will go along with capitalist thinking i.e. the people who didnt cause the recession must pay for it. there is enough wealth in our country for there to be no cuts at all.
badtothebone
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by obins)
And if you add up the Emirates, Stamford Bridge, Craven Cottage, White Hart Lane, The Den and all the other football stadiums in London its still more than 250,000 people.

There is no 'revolution' at all - Just a minority of mis fits.
who said it was a revolution?! lol. how is 250,000 people a bunch of misfits. its going to be fireman and teachers and students and pensioners and self employed people. a whole mix of people. you understand that right?
CyclopsRock
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if you think this is about the debt and deficit you are wrong. its the reason given but its not the actual reason, which is the reason it always has been, the people with wealth and power want more wealth and power and so the people with no wealth and power get hammered.
Hmmmm. I have a feeling that you've already made your mind up, haven't you.

PS, public spending has increased every quarter that the coalition has been in control. This February just gone, we borrowed more than any february ever in recorded history. In the last year, the public sector has gained employees, not lost them. If the government's plan is to hammer the poor, they aren't doing a very good job of it.

PPS, why do people always bring up the NHS? The situation's are so different that the only thing that is comparable between them is the levels of debt. Absolutely everything else is different, so any comparisons are completely misleading at best, and fabricated at worst.
obins
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
who said it was a revolution?! lol. how is 250,000 people a bunch of misfits. its going to be fireman and teachers and students and pensioners and self employed people. a whole mix of people. you understand that right?
I'm not talking about the normal legitiamte protestors.
Student28061
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HomeoApathy92)
disability allowance is being scrapped
and they are being put throuhg nothing more than can be described as a testing lab
new benefits to replace them have not even been fully confirmed yet
and will most llikely arrive in about 3 years time

a single mother will receive less child benefit than one who is married and whose family earn over a certain amount.. which makes no sense
If I could neg you more than once I would.

DLA is being scrapped and replaced with PIP (Personal Independence Payments - the new system) in the same Bill (The 2011 Welfare Reform Bill - look it up, you can read it on the Parliament website if you want). Those who were on DLA legitimately will not lose any money with the new system.
HomeoApathy92
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Bosch)
1. Fine, lets close down universities then? Thats what will happen if student fees are not raised, plus if you actually look at it as a whole, the fee rise works in students favour, paying back when your earning £21000, instead of £15000, and paying back about £7.50 a week, whilst your making £21000 a year, its not hard
2. Erm, the Royal Family recieve 40 million a year from the taxpayer, they pay in 240 million back to the treasury every year, they make our country 200 million a year basically, and they're paying for the Royal wedding out of thier own pocket, except for the security, which is paid for by the taxpayer, also the Royal wedding will be viewed by amost 1 billion people, and bring in masses of tourism, and revenue to Britain

Anything else that you don't understand?

i did not tell you that i was confused. and your argument still does not justify cutting certain budgets by 80% whilst those students are still paying back triple the fees.
yes and what exactly happens when you cant find a job and are still struglling to pay off these debts
are they still working in your favour then?
also, why in the uk do we even have to pay such high costs for education when ultimately the students will be the ones turning around and benefitting the country just with a load of debt added on. also , we live in one of the richest countries but yet we pay so much to receive an education whereas in countries such as poland university is free.
and again as i said they can fund the money out of their own assets that 40 million can be put to better use. and where exactly is this 240 million coming from in the first place?
the point is whatever revenue is raised the people at the bottom do not see any of it and no difference is made.
HomeoApathy92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bernii-xo)
This thread keeps catching my eye because it's my birthday on 26th March
haha milbank was the day before mine
HomeoApathy92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wilzman)
If I could neg you more than once I would.

DLA is being scrapped and replaced with PIP (Personal Independence Payments - the new system) in the same Bill (The 2011 Welfare Reform Bill - look it up, you can read it on the Parliament website if you want). Those who were on DLA legitimately will not lose any money with the new system.
yeah its excellent isnt it
also part of the reform force anyone up to the age of 64 to work if they are deemed fit and fine on the day of assessment
also what if those who were currently receiving dla were underclaiming in the first place
so many people on forums have spoken about commiting suicide because they feel degraded by being summitted to these checks

but yeah it doesnt matter, hit the vulnerable to hold up the powerful.
The_Male_Melons
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well there's a lot of hype around march 26th, with the outcome expected to exceed that of Stop the War. But hopefully unlike Stop the War it will not be a complete flop. Also, with the Royal Wedding coming up and the cuts pretty much kicking in from later this year, it is a crucial dominoe. But will it be successful?

what do you think?
(also people in their 50s who have been 'trouble making since their teens have vowed to me they will pretty much just go on a never ending vacation if this flops, so i'm guessing it should be a big deal?)
What is the protest about?
I don't even think the government is implementing a poll tax.

Why is there even a protest?

I saw Ed Balls on ITV apologising for Labour's mistakes then all of sudden taken it back. That is where the anger should be.
HomeoApathy92
Rep:
?
[QUOTE=Wilzman;30505206]DLA is being scrapped and replaced with PIP (Personal Independence Payments - the new system) in the same Bill (The 2011 Welfare Reform Bill - look it up, you can read it on the Parliament website if you want).[QUOTE]

http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/pdsforu...ith-pip&page=1

yeah why dont you have a read through that as well.
HomeoApathy92
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Male_Melons)
What is the protest about?
I don't even think the government is implementing a poll tax.

Why is there even a protest?

I saw Ed Balls on ITV apologising for Labour's mistakes then all of sudden taken it back. That is where the anger should be.
i dont think the majority of people attending will be praising labour either. and their is protesting going on because decent peoples lives are being wrecked and they are being forced to pay with money thety do not have to fix problems they did not cause and are then at the same time being scapegoated for it.
Student28061
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yeah its excellent isnt it
also part of the reform force anyone up to the age of 64 to work if they are deemed fit and fine on the day of assessment
also what if those who were currently receiving dla were underclaiming in the first place
so many people on forums have spoken about commiting suicide because they feel degraded by being summitted to these checks

but yeah it doesnt matter, hit the vulnerable to hold up the powerful.
Even pretending you know anything about this issue because you've read 'on forums' about it is ridiculous.

I work for a learning disability charity, which includes dealing with a lot of people on DLA.

This system is designed to do completely the opposite of what you say. I will concede the assessments are very unfortunate, and I understand that they are not often a pleasant experience for someone with disabilities, but the PIP and it's linked scheme, Self Directed Support, are designed to allow greater freedom of purchasing care, and better living standards.

The main crux of this issue is to remove those who really don't deserve disability allowance (those with very short-term disabilities, or those who are fraudulently claiming the allowance) from the payments list, and getting more support for those who genuinely need it. Even you can agree we need to support those who need help most, the best. Removing DLA from those living in residential homes (i.e. those who don't really need it) is one example of this.

Your assertion that people who are 64 with a disability who are 'fit and fine' on the day of the assessment is an insult to GPs and their ability to assess need. Do you think any self respecting GP would intentionally cause suffering to a patient (who will usually have very extensive notes detailing their condition by that age), by assessing them as being fit to work?

Your understanding of the issue is really lax. I implore you, read up on this stuff, understand the implications then by all means take to the street and protest. Don't just do it because you read something on an internet forum that made you angry.
Last edited by Student28061; 7 years ago
The_Male_Melons
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i dont think the majority of people attending will be praising labour either. and their is protesting going on because decent peoples lives are being wrecked and they are being forced to pay with money thety do not have to fix problems they did not cause and are then at the same time being scapegoated for it.
Today my university was on strike. If I was not at home, I would have gone to make a point. I would barged into the library and use the computer just to make a point.

I don't pay over £3000 so they can strike.
HomeoApathy92
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wilzman)
Even pretending you know anything about this issue because you've read 'on forums' about it is ridiculous.

I work for a learning disability charity, which includes dealing with a lot of people on DLA.

This system is designed to do completely the opposite of what you say. I will concede the assessments are very unfortunate, and I understand that they are not often a pleasant experience for someone with disabilities, but the PIP and it's linked scheme, Self Directed Support, are designed to allow greater freedom of purchasing care, and better living standards.

The main crux of this issue is to remove those who really don't deserve disability allowance (those with very short-term disabilities, or those who are fraudulently claiming the allowance) from the payments list, and getting more support for those who genuinely need it. Even you can agree we need to support those who need help most, the best. Removing DLA from those living in residential homes (i.e. those who don't really need it) is one example of this.

Your assertion that people who are 64 with a disability who are 'fit and fine' on the day of the assessment is an insult to GPs and their ability to assess need. Do you think any self respecting GP would intentionally cause suffering to a patient (who will usually have very extensive notes detailing their condition by that age), by assessing them as being fit to work?

Your understanding of the issue is really lax. I implore you, read up on this stuff, understand the implications then by all means take to the street and protest. Don't just do it because you read something on an internet forum that made you angry.

i'm not pretending that i know about the issue from reading a forum
i know a guy who helps organise against the ATOS testing and i am saying what those who he is working alongside suffering with disabilities have told him.
that was just one of the links ive come across.

and sorry just because you have a short term disability doesnt mean you deserve support??

and actually yes because at the end of the day are the GPs and doctors being hired to assess them working alongside those causing the suffering in the first place

and i did not take to the street because i read something on an internet forum, i like many others with me are 'taking to the streets' because they can see what is happening is wrong and it is affecting us directly.
HomeoApathy92
Rep:
?
Today my university was on strike. If I was not at home, I would have gone to make a point. I would barged into the library and use the computer just to make a point.

I don't pay over £3000 so they can strike.
and do you even know the reason why they were striking?
The_Male_Melons
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
and do you even know the reason why they were striking?
I really don't know why they were striking.

I could strike- No help, no books, computers are slow etc... I paid the university money and I expect quality in return. I am not getting it.

In fact, the licence fee is £145.50 and in return the BBC provides me with quality programmes, news etc...

Shame my university can't do the same with over £3000.
Student28061
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i'm not pretending that i know about the issue from reading a forum
i know a guy who helps organise against the ATOS testing and i am saying what those who he is working alongside suffering with disabilities have told him.
that was just one of the links ive come across.

and sorry just because you have a short term disability doesnt mean you deserve support??

and actually yes because at the end of the day are the GPs and doctors being hired to assess them working alongside those causing the suffering in the first place

and i did not take to the street because i read something on an internet forum, i like many others with me are 'taking to the streets' because they can see what is happening is wrong and it is affecting us directly.
So now you're accusing doctors of conspiracy against their patients to benefit their own interests and to satisfy politicians? Why don't you go and say that to your local GP and see how s/he reacts. He/she'll probably kick you out of his/her surgery in disgust.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I really don't know why they were striking.

I could strike- No help, no books, computers are slow etc... I paid the university money and I expect quality in return. I am not getting it.

In fact, the licence fee is £145.50 and in return the BBC provides me with quality programmes, news etc...

Shame my university can't do the same with over £3000.
You didn't get a fee loan then? Good on you for that at least.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (445)
91.56%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (41)
8.44%

Watched Threads