Capital Punishment for the UK Poll watch

• View Poll Results: Capital Punishment Poll
    Yes
    29.10%
    No
    70.90%

ReputationRep:
    So do you agree in capital punishment for the worst crimes? yes or no

Do you really think some people deserve to live after the worst crimes?
    For example:
    Serial killers
    paedophile-rapist-murderer
    etc

do you think its worth the many thousands of pounds to rehabilitate these people (when there is a chance they will do it again when released) or do you think for the safety of society they should be got rid of at the cost of even more money.

ReputationRep:
    What's the poll? 'Yes' if you believe in capital punishment or 'Yes' if you "really think some people deserve to live after the worst crimes"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    What's the poll? 'Yes' if you believe in capital punishment or 'Yes' if you "really think some people deserve to live after the worst crimes"?
    you agree with capital punishment = yes
    if you disagree = no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goerigi)
    i thought it was quite simple :/
    you agree with capital punishment = yes
    if you disagree = no
    At no point do you ask that question.

However, you do ask two questions:
    "Do you really think some people deserve to live after the worst crimes?" and "do you think its worth the many thousands of pounds to rehabilitate these people (when there is a chance they will do it again when released) or do you think for the safety of society they should be got rid of" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Leaving aside for the moment that the state engaging in premeditated killing is utterly barbaric, the OP states:
    do you think its worth the many thousands of pounds to rehabilitate these people (when there is a chance they will do it again when released) or do you think for the safety of society they should be got rid of
    Implying that it does not cost so much to execute people. In fact it is cheaper to imprison them, see for instance:
    - MSNBC
    - Amnesty USA

ReputationRep:
    Death is too good for them.. hard labour in prisoner communes and 'running man' style gameshow humilitation/suffering ftw!

ReputationRep:
    There really ought to be an 'undecided' option.

ReputationRep:
    An example of a case that strongly puts me off capital punishment is one that took place in my local area a while ago. A man who had been imprisoned for 20+ years on grounds of being convicted of murder was proven innocent with modern technology. Obviously nothing could make up for the time he had lost, but he was given compensation and a chance to rebuild his life. If he had been executed, he would never have that second chance.

You also have to consider cases where, for instance, someone who was abused as a child goes and kills their abusers as an adult, or some other similar case where the "criminal" could have been affected by extenuating circumstances that the legal system may never find out about. Someone who had been abused in their childhood would probably be mentally unhealthy and would probably rather face jail or the death penalty than confide in someone what their story was. At least imprisonment gives some margin for error, because you can release convicts. You can never give a second chance to someone you kill.

If the courts were omniscient then perhaps capital punishment could be justifiable, but the fact is that they aren't.

ReputationRep:
    Oh look it's this thread again
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Costs more than life imprisonment I am against it

ReputationRep:
    No, I have morals. I believe nobody should hold the ability to decide whether someone is to live or die. A life is not something that can be re-issued if something goes wrong, as milkytea honorably mentioned. +1 rep by the way. I don't care about the cost to the government of imprisoning convicted criminals, and frankly I'm sickened that people would only look at the death of another human being from a financial perspective. Yes, there are some people in this world who carry out terrible acts and inflict death, pain and suffering to others and do not think there is anything wrong with it, but we can not be judges over the life of somebody else in my opinion. It is an old cliche, but two wrongs do not make a right.

Bearing this in mind, the quality of commodities and level of care in today's prison is going totally in the wrong direction. Criminals are taken out of society and placed in a building because they can not be trusted and they are detrimental to society and perhaps a grave risk to themselves, but they should not be getting electronc goods, cigarettes and generally be living an adequate life. I believe in a system of progressive labour for inmates that offered them an opportunity to be productive and reinstate a good work ethic, as well as instill a sense of personal responsibility that would allow them to proceed on the long road of rehabilitation so they could start rebuilding themselves and perhaps return to society. These comments refer to persons not deemed as being or liable to be a risk to the general public, of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    No, I have morals. I believe nobody should hold the ability to decide whether someone is to live or die. A life is not something that can be re-issued if something goes wrong, as milkytea honorably mentioned. +1 rep by the way. I don't care about the cost to the government of imprisoning convicted criminals, and frankly I'm sickened that people would only look at the death of another human being from a financial perspective. Yes, there are some people in this world who carry out terrible acts and inflict death, pain and suffering to others and do not think there is anything wrong with it, but we can not be judges over the life of somebody else in my opinion. It is an old cliche, but two wrongs do not make a right.

Bearing this in mind, the quality of commodities and level of care in today's prison is going totally in the wrong direction. Criminals are taken out of society and placed in a building because they can not be trusted and they are detrimental to society and perhaps a grave risk to themselves, but they should not be getting electronc goods, cigarettes and generally be living an adequate life. I believe in a system of progressive labour for inmates that offered them an opportunity to be productive and reinstate a good work ethic, as well as instill a sense of personal responsibility that would allow them to proceed on the long road of rehabilitation so they could start rebuilding themselves and perhaps return to society. These comments refer to persons not deemed as being or liable to be a risk to the general public, of course.
    i agree with your second paragraph yes, prisoners do not have a hard enough life in prison. but for example, do you honestly believe (say if he hadnt killed himself) hitler had the right to live after the horrific genocide he made happen? i think he deserved to be slow and painfully tortured and killed. do you really think that is wrong. i dont think of it as 2 wrongs make a right, more like do they really have a right to live after what they have done. but thats just my opinion and i respect yours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nelo Angelo)
    Oh look it's this thread again
    again?

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody remember the Daniel Pollen stabbing? If you don't it was basically two guys waiting for a taxi home, three guys come up behind them and viciously assault them and one proceeds with the stabbing (one through the heart which proved fatal), completely unprovoked. If I were family of Daniel then I'd want to see the killer be killed when there is irrefutable evidence such as the entire incident being caught on CCTV.

But then the killer was only 17... As someone who hasn't been affected by something like this it's worrying that such a young man would be killed and not given a second chance... but then I think about how he took away any chance Daniel had so does he really deserve a second chance? I don't know...

I'm undecided leaning towards no (no, we shouldn't have capital punishment) but there are cases which in my opinion warrant it, possibly at the discretion of the victims family.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with your second paragraph yes, prisoners do not have a hard enough life in prison. but for example, do you honestly believe (say if he hadnt killed himself) hitler had the right to live after the horrific genocide he made happen? i think he deserved to be slow and painfully tortured and killed. do you really think that is wrong. i dont think of it as 2 wrongs make a right, more like do they really have a right to live after what they have done. but thats just my opinion and i respect yours
    Good question. He was a man guilty of some of the most sinister killings of innocent people of the 20th century. However, I still stand by my previously stated opinion. If you were to have started slowly torturing him eventually to death, who is the better man now? For all you have done is switch roles. Now he is the victim and you are the one dealing the punishment, except you would be standing on some self-righteous moral high ground thinking you were doing the right thing, but in reality you are no better than the other person; for you are both murderers. Let us not forget that if a convicted criminal is killed, that is the end for him. For the victims family who must live with the grief and loss of a loved one, it will plague their minds for the rest of their lives, so why should the criminal be treated differently? Surely is it not better for him to have to deal with the consequences of his actions and receive the punishment that society has dealt to him?

ReputationRep:
    Do they deserve it? Yes. Is it practical to the point where it is infallible, No.

ReputationRep:
    I don't fancy going back in time, or becoming even more Americanised, so no way. There's also the problem of miscarriages of justice that need appeal. I kind of think the whole concept of the legal system is a bit morally ambiguous anyway, so taking it this step further is anathema to someone like me.

ReputationRep:
    Most people have voted no.....ok....

ReputationRep:
    In the case of certain murders, then yes I would like to see it introduced. Miscarriages of justice are rare, and with today's modern crime-fighting technology, it is becoming less and less likely that a convicted murderer is actually innocent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    actually reading it through again, i get your point. my bad

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.