The Student Room Group

University Prestige Vs Good University

Scroll to see replies

Ahhh the classic "I'm not racist...BUT"

Hehehehe you silly silly person
Reply 41
Original post by Smack
The amount of grads from each course who are in work after 6 months, from the Guardian like posted previously.

Firstly, I'm not saying that Southampton is a bad university, its a very good uni. But I doubt that Southampton has better job prospects than Imperial. When I have time I'll try to find out the graduate prospects for the course at both unis and compare. But as I previously stated 'My reasoning is that even if both courses are evenly matched, I'd still go for the University which has a greater international reputation. There's a reason why ICL is among the best universities in the UK/World. And I'd never overlook that fact regardless of how marginal the differences betweent he courses were. Thus, why I said it makes no sense basing it on comfort as an ambitious student should be future time orientated and able to defer gratification or comfort'. He isn't being future time orientated because he's worried about 'fitting in' at Imperial.
Original post by nunugab
Firstly, I'm not saying that Southampton is a bad university, its a very good uni. But I doubt that Southampton has better job prospects than Imperial. When I have time I'll try to find out the graduate prospects for the course at both unis and compare. But as I previously stated 'My reasoning is that even if both courses are evenly matched, I'd still go for the University which has a greater international reputation. There's a reason why ICL is among the best universities in the UK/World. And I'd never overlook that fact regardless of how marginal the differences betweent he courses were. Thus, why I said it makes no sense basing it on comfort as an ambitious student should be future time orientated and able to defer gratification or comfort'. He isn't being future time orientated because he's worried about 'fitting in' at Imperial.

But the statistics available show that more Southampton electrical and electronics engineering graduates have found graduate level work within six months. I'm not sure as to why you are doubting these statistics, and why you are going into so much effort to try and prove them wrong.

Now I'm not sure what "international prestige" has to do with finding a graduate level engineering job or an internship. Perhaps you could enlighten me.
Reply 43
Original post by nunugab

Southampton is rated 52nd in the world for engineering courses. It's a damn good university. It's also rated 7 places above Imperial for electrical engineering - yep, the latest Guardian league table results put Southampton at the top. Imperial is 8th. Job prospects are not going to be any better than from Southampton, so you may as well go where you think you'll be happiest. In any case, you're much more likely to do well when you're happy with where you are.
Original post by Smack
But the statistics available show that more Southampton electrical and electronics engineering graduates have found graduate level work within six months. I'm not sure as to why you are doubting these statistics, and why you are going into so much effort to try and prove them wrong.

Now I'm not sure what "international prestige" has to do with finding a graduate level engineering job or an internship. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

Maybe more IC graduate go to Master/PhD. That's why sometimes prestigious uni has lower statics regarding six months employment. Average salary of employed student is a better measure of how company regards the students from those university (but then you have salary difference between cities). So to be able to decide which uni is better you may need more that just one number.
Reply 45
Original post by Cheesecakefactory
Do medicine its better.

i was... but after gcse's decided i didnt want to be a doctor, good decision in my part i think
Original post by LysFromParis
Maybe more IC graduate go to Master/PhD. That's why sometimes prestigious uni has lower statics regarding six months employment.

As far as I was aware, students continuing into post-graduate qualifications were not considered unemployed in these statistics.

Average salary of employed student is a better measure of how company regards the students from those university

No it isn't because different sectors pay different amounts to their engineers.

(but then you have salary difference between cities).

That too.
Reply 47
Original post by nunugab

Can't be bothered to say the rest, what I'm trying to say is that you're a douche if you're even considering rejecting imperial, for SOTON. HA.

Sorry im not an upper class douche like you, I heard that the Imperial course is more suited for electrical power engineering and Soton has a (basically) brand new multi-million pound facilities and buildings and is focused on electronic engineering and computer science. Also id be in more debt in London but you probably can't see how that would effect anyone. Why would i go for imperials 50's style block of flats and in an environment i probably wont like just because it has a better 'prestige'?
Original post by Smack
As far as I was aware, students continuing into post-graduate qualifications were not considered unemployed in these statistics.

No it isn't because different sectors pay different amounts to their engineers.

That too.

My point was looking at only few raw data can't give a view of which uni is better (if that even mean something). Guardian ranking is probably one of the worst in this regard (3 value about student satisfaction and the crappy "added value" which means absolutely nothing).

OP should look what kind of job he wants to do, look where previous student get a job, look which company has partnership with the department. If he wants to go abroad he should look for partner University, because one may have a exchange program with a prestigious foreign uni and the other not. If he is more academic oriented and want to pursue after his bachelor, he should try to figure out which uni will allow him to access prestigious institution or to get funding more easily. That the thing which are important.
Original post by LysFromParis
My point was looking at only few raw data can't give a view of which uni is better (if that even mean something). Guardian ranking is probably one of the worst in this regard (3 value about student satisfaction and the crappy "added value" which means absolutely nothing).

No one was using that data to say that Southampton was better than Imperial; you obviously didn't read my post correctly.
Reply 50
Original post by CurlyBen
yep, the latest Guardian league table results put Southampton at the top. Imperial is 8th.

Three years ago the Guardian had Luton maths above lots of 1994 group universities........ except Luton didn't have a maths degree!
Reply 51
The Guardians League table ha. Jesus Christ.
Reply 52
Original post by jimimick
Sorry im not an upper class douche like you, I heard that the Imperial course is more suited for electrical power engineering and Soton has a (basically) brand new multi-million pound facilities and buildings and is focused on electronic engineering and computer science. Also id be in more debt in London but you probably can't see how that would effect anyone. Why would i go for imperials 50's style block of flats and in an environment i probably wont like just because it has a better 'prestige'?

I resent that. You people seem to lack an ability to read. Read my previous posts, I explained my reasoning (get back to me If you need it simplified) and said 'this is merely my opinion' I also said that there was 'no need to take this further as we weren't getting anywhere' .
Reply 53
Go to the one you like best, because after all you're going to be spending 4 years of your life there. Anyway, I thought Southampton had a really good reputation for engineering etc....
You do sound kinda like you've made up your mind already and just want reassurance, if you like Southampton best, go there. The rep won't mean anything to you if you go to Imperial and don't enjoy it.
good luck :smile:
Reply 54

http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities/articles/2010/09/21/worlds-best-universities-engineering-and-it-

http://www.universityportal.net/2007/09/world-university-ranking-of-engineering.html

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2009/subject-rankings/technology

Imperial ranks between 6th to 8th in the World for Engineering. Thats why. & Yes I'm fully aware that the last link is from 2009, it's still valid though as I seriously doubt that Southampton would move up 60 places in 2 years. As we all know these are not objective rankings but I still maintain my opinion, rejecting Imperial isn't ideal.
Original post by nunugab
http://www.usnews.com/education/worlds-best-universities/articles/2010/09/21/worlds-best-universities-engineering-and-it-

http://www.universityportal.net/2007/09/world-university-ranking-of-engineering.html

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2009/subject-rankings/technology

Imperial ranks between 6th to 8th in the World for Engineering. Thats why. & Yes I'm fully aware that the last link is from 2009, it's still valid though as I seriously doubt that Southampton would move up 60 places in 2 years. As we all know these are not objective rankings but I still maintain my opinion, rejecting Imperial isn't ideal.

You still haven't answered my post.

What do rankings have to do with finding a job or an internship as an engineer?
Reply 56

I think its obvious that a large proportion of TSR users are not white british..... **** off

Wow, really?
Reply 57
Original post by nunugab

Original post by nunugab

Are you by any chance a student of Imperial College? because you really seem to be getting defensive about Imperial being 'this' & 'that' & 'what not'

I really don't knw why the OP would want to go to Imperial when he clearly didn't like the atmosphere when he visited & im sure he doesnt want to spend an entire 3/4 years in an institution that will demotivate him to want to study or hinder his chances of even being 'happy'

Like Smack said what exactly does rankings have to do with finding a job or landing an internship?

And for God's sake OP, go to the university that appeals to you which in this case is Southampton so i would advice or firm it and insure Imperial or any of your other options

Just because Imperial is known internationally doesn't mean the OP is looking to work abroad or anything. Imperial certainly won't be the 'end all' & 'be all' in this case

At the end of the day OP, its entirely up to you :dontknow:
Reply 58
Original post by Smack
You still haven't answered my post.

What do rankings have to do with finding a job or an internship as an engineer?

Why are you being daft? I explained my reasoning before. Rankings have nothing to do with jobs or internships however they are good indicators of the level of tuition at institutions. Prestige -> Better viewed by employers (despite how marginal it differs from other institutions) -> Better job prospects. Have you ever heard of selection bias within recruitment? This discussion is over. I voiced my opinion and let that be the end of it. You will never convince me that rejecting ICL for Southampton is a good choice, never.
Reply 59
Original post by *Hakz*
Are you by any chance a student of Imperial College? because you really seem to be getting defensive about Imperial being 'this' & 'that' & 'what not'

I really don't knw why the OP would want to go to Imperial when he clearly didn't like the atmosphere when he visited & im sure he doesnt want to spend an entire 3/4 years in an institution that will demotivate him to want to study or hinder his chances of even being 'happy'

Like Smack said what exactly does rankings have to do with finding a job or landing an internship?

And for God's sake OP, go to the university that appeals to you which in this case is Southampton so i would advice or firm it and insure Imperial or any of your other options

Just because Imperial is known internationally doesn't mean the OP is looking to work abroad or anything. Imperial certainly won't be the 'end all' & 'be all' in this case

At the end of the day OP, its entirely up to you :dontknow:

No I'm not a student at ICL but I do acknowledge quality institutions. Nothing wrong with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending