Turn on thread page Beta

Need to make these ingredients last 2 weeks watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    That won't last you two weeks, one at the max.
    Very helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I don't know if I should list them but what should I eat/make with it to make it all last? I have to make it last around two weeks..

-half a pack of chocolate digestives
    -2 packets of flavoured rice
    -portion of white rice
    -bag of pasta
    -mayonnaise
    -ketchup
    -lettuce
    -1 onion
    -plain flour
    -tin of tuna
    -one apple
    -half a cucumber
    -a bit of milk
    -carton of tomato soup
    -pure orange juice
    -can of rice pudding
    -small block of cheese
    -flavoured yoghurts
    -margerine
    -crumpets -12 of them
    -half a tin of spaghetti
    -tinned tomatoes
    -9 slices of bread

I also have things like soy sauce, oil, some honey, cocoa powder, thai sweet chilli sauce, garlic and salt etc

Also I usually skip breakfast, and also have some cooked minced meat that I made today (probably a portion and a half left)

What can I make?
    It doesn't look like you will make your 5 portions of fruit and veg this week!

Definitely eat any perishables first. If the tinned spaghetti is open then have that on toast for one meal.

The tuna mixed with plenty of mayo and some cucumber could be stretched to do 2 or 3 sandwiches with the bread you have, depending on the size of tin. Or you could have it on the crumpets seen as they are pretty good with savoury stuff too. Or have some of it mixed with pasta.

To bulk up the apple you could bake/stew it and top it with crumble made from your flour, margarine and sugar if you have it or honey.

The minced meat should keep a couple of days in the fridge (I assume you don't have a freezer?). You could use this with some garlic and tinned tomatoes or the tomato soup if it has a good flavour as a bolognese sauce, with rice or pasta. Maybe stretch that out to a couple of meals too? Dried herbs would help if you have any around as well.

You could stir-fry the rest of the cucumber and some of the lettuce (I know it sounds wierd but I like it!), with soy sauce and have with rice for a couple of meals. The chilli sauce would really help to perk it up too. And rice with soy is definitely worth a try, very tasty! Soy, vinegar and sugar also makes a basic sweet and sour sauce which would work with the rice.

You could make quite a few portions of pasta sauce if you have a couple of cans of tomatoes. A bit of garlic, your onion and herbs if you have any. You could coat the pasta, top with cheese and make pasta bake.

Cheese on crumpets with a bit of worcestershire sauce if you have it, or sweet chilli sauce of not.

One or two lettuce leaves would make a sandwich with some cheese, assuming you use the crumpets or pasta with the tuna. You could maybe have that for a couple of lunches?

Rice pudding and yoghurts etc will be great for helping you to feel full. If you have any eggs you can make cakes. If not, you could make scones, cheese scones, chocolate biscuits etc.

Also, check down the back of the sofa, any coat/jacket/jeans pockets, backs of drawers, spare purses/wallets, handbags, for any loose change! It's suprising what you can find. It would help even if you could get hold of a pound or two for a few extras!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converselove)
    Very helpful
    I think so, he needs to work out an alternative plan.

As for your "Pasta & tomato" suggestion :rolleyes: Why would he eat pasta & tinned tomatoes when he has the ingredients to create makeshift bolognese?

ReputationRep:
    trade some stuff with a friend XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HittingTheBooks)
    It doesn't look like you will make your 5 portions of fruit and veg this week!

Definitely eat any perishables first. If the tinned spaghetti is open then have that on toast for one meal.

The tuna mixed with plenty of mayo and some cucumber could be stretched to do 2 or 3 sandwiches with the bread you have, depending on the size of tin. Or you could have it on the crumpets seen as they are pretty good with savoury stuff too. Or have some of it mixed with pasta.

To bulk up the apple you could bake/stew it and top it with crumble made from your flour, margarine and sugar if you have it or honey.

The minced meat should keep a couple of days in the fridge (I assume you don't have a freezer?). You could use this with some garlic and tinned tomatoes or the tomato soup if it has a good flavour as a bolognese sauce, with rice or pasta. Maybe stretch that out to a couple of meals too? Dried herbs would help if you have any around as well.

You could stir-fry the rest of the cucumber and some of the lettuce (I know it sounds wierd but I like it!), with soy sauce and have with rice for a couple of meals. The chilli sauce would really help to perk it up too. And rice with soy is definitely worth a try, very tasty! Soy, vinegar and sugar also makes a basic sweet and sour sauce which would work with the rice.

You could make quite a few portions of pasta sauce if you have a couple of cans of tomatoes. A bit of garlic, your onion and herbs if you have any. You could coat the pasta, top with cheese and make pasta bake.

Cheese on crumpets with a bit of worcestershire sauce if you have it, or sweet chilli sauce of not.

One or two lettuce leaves would make a sandwich with some cheese, assuming you use the crumpets or pasta with the tuna. You could maybe have that for a couple of lunches?

Rice pudding and yoghurts etc will be great for helping you to feel full. If you have any eggs you can make cakes. If not, you could make scones, cheese scones, chocolate biscuits etc.

Also, check down the back of the sofa, any coat/jacket/jeans pockets, backs of drawers, spare purses/wallets, handbags, for any loose change! It's suprising what you can find. It would help even if you could get hold of a pound or two for a few extras!
    Omg thanks :coma: I have some sage so could use that and because I share a kitchen we tend to share other herbs etc too so they're there for everyone to use.. there might be some basil or something too I'm not entirely sure! The spaghetti tin is open, I'll eat that later on I usually eat crumpets on their own to be honest with just butter on them but thanks for the suggestion! I'll try the stir fry :p: I have a pound :ninja: I could buy some milk or something? I don't live close enough to tesco/asda so would have to get the bus there and don't think I have money on my oyster :o:

Also, I do have a freezer compartment, albeit a small one :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    I think so, he needs to work out an alternative plan.

As for your "Pasta & tomato" suggestion :rolleyes: Why would he eat pasta & tinned tomatoes when he has the ingredients to create makeshift bolognese?
    At least I actually gave a suggestion other than "that's never going to last"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converselove)
    At least I actually gave a suggestion other than "that's never going to last"
    A suggestion yes, a useful suggestion no.

(Original post by mel0n)
    I don't live close enough to tesco/asda so would have to get the bus there and don't think I have money on my oyster :o:
    Walk/run, desperate times call for desperate measures! But honestly I would just borrow some money from someone to tide you over... That or use a site like this. No point making yourself miserable over a few £££.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Walk/run, desperate times call for desperate measures! But honestly I would just borrow some money from someone to tide you over... That or use a site like this. No point making yourself miserable over a few £££.
    If you're going to do that, at least do it through somewhere like quidco

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    It was useful, I gave OP a few ideas

ReputationRep:
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tesc...now-18p/900816

ReputationRep:
    If you need money for FOOD then I can lend you some.......drop me a pm me or something

ReputationRep:
    Flour + Cheese + Milk + Pasta = Mac (Or pasta) & Cheese

Tomato + Cucumber + Cheese + Pasta = Pasta dish

Vinegar + onion + pepper + cucumber = pasta salad

Plain rice + soy sauce + egg (borrow one or something) = fried rice

Tuna + Lettuce + cucumber + tomato + bread = sandwich

Mayo + plain rice + tuna + cucumber = tuna onigiri

ReputationRep:
    You can always make flat bread with the plain flour? If that's the last thing left. Can't you ask a friend to lend you say £20 or something? And as soon as you get your loan, pay them back? I would if i didn't have any money left to buy food with?

Good luck :/ I would never be able to do that :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)

I don't know how to get there by walking or running it's about 15 - 20 mins on the bus from central to Elephant and Castle :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasin_arshad)
    If you need money for FOOD then I can lend you some.......drop me a pm me or something
    o.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I don't know how to get there by walking or running it's about 15 - 20 mins on the bus from central to Elephant and Castle :ninja:
    google maps

ReputationRep:
    omg wtf :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    google maps
    Just had a look on walkit.com it's between 30-50 min walk aaaaah. I might try :afraid: bu I only have 1£ left so I dunno what I'll even buy with it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Just had a look on walkit.com it's between 30-50 min walk aaaaah. I might try :afraid: bu I only have 1£ left so I dunno what I'll even buy with it lol
    Pasta (above)
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bran...h-tesco/900937
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tesc...cut-14p/900742

Now you can have plenty of pasta, with variety (one with tomato, one with baked beans).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Pasta (above)
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bran...h-tesco/900937
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/tesc...cut-14p/900742

Now you can have plenty of pasta, with variety (one with tomato, one with baked beans).
    I already have pasta! Quite a bit of it! I have half a tin of tomatoes and another one unopened.. and some rice which I could eat alone (it's flavoured with the powder in the packet) .. Baked beans and pasta? I've never tried it :o:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.