Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need to make these ingredients last 2 weeks watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I already have pasta! Quite a bit of it! I have half a tin of tomatoes and another one unopened.. and some rice which I could eat alone (it's flavoured with the powder in the packet) .. Baked beans and pasta? I've never tried it :o:
    Try it, with some cheese.

ReputationRep:
    If you do manage to make it to the shops, try around 7-8pm (if it is safe to walk there at that time), as you are more likely to get reduced stuff. Which supermarket is it? It is worth checking online to see how much things are before you go, rather than having to think about it while you are there!

ReputationRep:
    Tesco! I go at around 5pm and there is usually reduced stuff. I might make another trip there soon but I don't know what to buy, I'll only want to spend about 5£ :\

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, use the veggies/fruits first because they'll just go rotten and that'll be a waste.

ReputationRep:
    You could cook the rice then do the worst thing you should do with rice which is re heat it. The toxins produced by the bacteria in the rice will give you food poisoning so you won't need to eat coz you'll feel like death. SORTED.

ReputationRep:
    With £5 you can buy 50 packets of 10p noodles.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I don't shop at Tesco so I am not sure about prices! It sounds like you have enough carbs to see you through, but fruit/veg/protein are a little lacking. As others have said, value baked beans would be filling and reasonably healthy, they count as veg and protein! You could stretch those out to 3 meals if you add a little cheese, and you could have it with crumpets. Sainsburys basics baked beans are 28p, I assume Tesco are about the same. You could buy milk, but if it is a shared kitchen surely you could borrow a bit of other peoples and offer them the same in return when you have cash? You can make a basic white sauce with watered down milk so it doesn't use a huge amount.

You can get basics sweetcorn for 21p, again I assume Tesco is similar. This could bulk out tuna pasta/sandwich/stir-fry for a few meals so they might stretch further. They are starchy veg so quite filling also.

Basics beans with sausages are about 29p, so again filling. Basics tinned spaghetti about 15p. Cheap kidney beans are about 20p a can, which with a few spices from the store cupboard could be a make-shift chilli to go with your rice.

If you just want something to add to your rice etc to make it feel more like a 'meal', they also do a curry sauce in a large jar for 9p, which would do a few meals. They also do a sweet and sour for 25p. Basics tinned veg is cheap and can still be used in a stir-fry, like tinned carrots 17p.

Forgot to say before, you can make pancakes with flour and milk mixed with water if you want to use what you have left. Pretty filling for very little money. Veg/chicken/tomato soup is 17p and would make a couple of lunches with crumpets on the side. I think a pack of 4 cup a soups are 15p too, so would work out even cheaper. Or splash out on some 36p vitamin tablets, you might need them after this! :-)

Sorry for using Sainsburys for all of the prices, they are the only ones I know, but I assume most of the big supermarkets offer much the same things!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Charliejl1982)
    You could cook the rice then do the worst thing you should do with rice which is re heat it. The toxins produced by the bacteria in the rice will give you food poisoning so you won't need to eat coz you'll feel like death. SORTED.
    It's not the reheating, it's the storage. If you want to save rice for later you must immediately cool it and store it in the fridge. If you leave it out or keep it warm it is bad.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.