Turn on thread page Beta

Is the 4-4-2 system outdated? watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently suggested that arsenal should switch to a 4-4-2 formation and someone said to me that 4-4-2 is outdated. That actually got me thinking and I couldn't think of any team that is currently successful that plays a straight 4-4-2 ie two strikers (C.Ronaldo is not a striker). Inter Milan last season had two great strikers but deployed eto'o on the wing and it seemed to work, Chelsea have long had drogba and Anelka but usually just play one of the two upfront, city prefer to play tevez as a lone striker despite having an array of talented strikers and united usually deploy rooney to the wing. What is it about 4-4-2 thats got managers so scared this days? two of the greatest teams in recent history used 4-4-2 (Uniteds treble winning team and Arsenals invincibles). Do you think 4-4-2 is outdated?

ReputationRep:
    From the master himself:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/b...onathan-wilson

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...t-next-for-442 <------ excellent article.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of teams set up in a 4-4-2 but no one really plays it in the old skool way. i think the introduction of a left footed player on the right cutting in etc...attacking left back/right backs, holding midfielders, etc have all contributed to this, i think its more a vague structure, not as strict as it use to be well thats my take on it!

ReputationRep:
    You're right. Christmas tree ftw

ReputationRep:
    There's still a place for it if a team is playing poorer opposition or need to go for the jugular. But in big games against quality opposition teams would usually be outplayed in midfield if they went for it. It depends on the players you've got though, if you've got two top quality out and out strikers and two genuine wingers, then you might be more likely to go with it. 4-3-3 can sometimes be more offensive though if you've got two quality 'wing forwards' like Barca.

ReputationRep:
    quality article, thank you sir.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not. United against arsenal and marseille. 4-4-2

ReputationRep:
    Every formation has it's strengths and weaknesses.

The weakness in a 4-2-3-1 is it's lack of width

ReputationRep:
    Capello ****ed it up

ReputationRep:
    4-4-2 is well and truly dead, and I'm gutted that you even thought Arsenal's rotational midfield could ever change to a quality sucking rigid straight line in the middle of the park. It's either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with a lot of freedom for the forward players. 4-4-2 got a lesson against Germany in the world cup lol

ReputationRep:
    Any formation can be undone if it's stuck with at all costs, the 442 is no different. The key is being flexible and versatile when circumstances require it.

Also:

ReputationRep:
    Redknapps attempts to play it I think have proven it's weakness. He seems keen to adopt it when playing teams he perceives to be weak. Fc Young boys for example who spanked us until the changed tactics and more recently Blackpool, who beat us.

ReputationRep:
    I think 442 has not been orthodox for a long time. You don't get many classical wingers again, not like Giggs in his day (and he is almost 40 now). When Arsenal played it, Pires and Ljungberg were not orthodox wingers, and even Henry would characteristically dart out to the left-wing.

The system still exists, but it is more fluid/flexible than it was long ago. Besides, if 442 goes, so what? Tactics change over time. We don't have left-halfs again, or inside-rights.

ReputationRep:
    4-4-4-4 is quite obviously the best formation.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't Birmingham win the Carling cup with 4-4-2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Every formation has it's strengths and weaknesses.

The weakness in a 4-2-3-1 is it's lack of width
    That's true but when the full backs provide that required width, this formation is the most powerful attacking tool and formidable. Think Brazil in world cup 2010, although they lost out to Holland, their system was efficient attacking wise as they had Gilberto and melo both holding and a LOT of freedom for maicon giving more width than required. If you're still not convinced, look at Barcelona, how they deploy Alves and abidal/maxwell to provide the width and some of the midfielders drop back a bit. This is a powerful system, almost obligatory for modern day success in football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallace32)
    Didn't Birmingham win the Carling cup with 4-4-2?
    I think it was Zigic up top on his own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slawaccess23)
    That's true but when the full backs provide that required width, this formation is the most powerful attacking tool and formidable. Think Brazil in world cup 2010, although they lost out to Holland, their system was efficient attacking wise as they had Gilberto and melo both holding and a LOT of freedom for maicon giving more width than required. If you're still not convinced, look at Barcelona, how they deploy Alves and abidal/maxwell to provide the width and some of the midfielders drop back a bit. This is a powerful system, almost obligatory for modern day success in football.
    The strength is in the middle both offensively and defensively so there is a lot of balance and not a lot of shifting required.

I'd imagine the best way to combat it would be with fast wingers who can beat their man and a striker who can pull up wide.

Essentially the game plan would be for the fullback to beat their winger/wide forward player and then for the winger + striker in the 4-4-2 to pull off and force the fullback into a 2 v 1, the problem is you need to do this before their defensive duo can provide the cover.

Likewise the long ball + the wide balls will negate the extra man in the middle who then becomes redundant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    Definitely not. United against arsenal and marseille. 4-4-2
    I didn't watch the Marseille game, but United definitely didn't play 4-4-2 against Arsenal unless Rooney's tactical discipline is the worst on the planet.

A flat 4-4-2 only exists for the tactically inept English teams and those going for a bus-parking two banks of 4 and two blokes told "go and nick one".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panthalic)
    I didn't watch the Marseille game, but United definitely didn't play 4-4-2 against Arsenal unless Rooney's tactical discipline is the worst on the planet.

A flat 4-4-2 only exists for the tactically inept English teams and those going for a bus-parking two banks of 4 and two blokes told "go and nick one".
    as soon as I saw bus-parking, last season's barcelona 1-1 inter milan came to mind.
    mourinho=legend.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.